Thread: You Go Terry Bradway!

Super*****/Prom Queen
    NEW YORK JETS SIGN S OLIVER CELESTIN, PLACE S DEREK PAGEL ON IR
    AND WAIVE T/G BRENT SMITH

New York City, NY- The New York Jets announced today they have signed safety Oliver Celestin, waived tackle/guard Brent Smith, and have placed safety Derek Pagel on injured reserve. The announcements were made by Jetsí Executive Vice President/General Manager Terry Bradway.

Celestin was signed off the Minnesota Vikingsí practice squad to the Jetsí active roster. Celestin, from Texas Southern University, first signed with the Cleveland Browns as a rookie free agent in 2003 and saw time in preseason games before being released on 8/26/03. The 6-0, 207 pound safety was part of the 2004 World Bowl champion Berlin Thunder of NFL Europe, before signing with the Vikings on 6/17/04.

Pagel, in his second season with the Jets, played in five games this season, recording one tackle and five special teams tackles before injuring his left calf in game eight against Buffalo. The 6-1, 208-pound Iowa Hawkeye was originally selected by the Jets in the fifth round (140th overall) of the 2003 NFL Draft. He played in 14 games his rookie season, tallying 19 special teams tackles and four tackles as an extra DB.

Smith, a 6-5, 305-pound product of Mississippi State, was in his second season with the Jets and his eighth season in the National Football League. He has played in 60 career NFL games, making 30 starts including 16 in 2003, when he contributed to RB Curtis Martinís 1,308 rushing yards. Smith recorded his 30th career start at left guard in the game five win versus. San Francisco. He was originally selected by the Miami Dolphins in the third round of the 1997 NFL Draft and signed with the Jets on 5/6/03 as an unrestricted free agent.

All Pro
    Was Smith realeased b/c he was hurt? If so, who is our primary backup at Tackle at his point? Jones?

All Pro
    Sorry to see Brent go. He was the best backup tackle on the roster.

All Pro
    Wow. I'm pretty shocked we would let Brent Smith go.

Why would we do that?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

This is a move that worries me. They have no other real backup at tackle. Cavka is too small. He has height, but has no bulk. He would get pushed around. They need to keep him out for a year to work on getting bigger.

TomShane
    Strange. I wonder why we didn't just do an injury settlement with Pagel and let him sit home for the rest of the year, then sign him back in the off-season. O-Linemen around the league are dropping like flies, so I wouldn't expect Brent to sit out for too long.

Charter JI Member
    I didn't think Pagel was playing poorly this season :blink: ...he is a favorite whipping boy here though.

I sure we have a plan other than Jones at tackle if need be

All League
    Gosh i don't like that. could smith's knee injury be worse then they let on? maybe they thought he couldn't recover well enough. cavka is smaller but he is also 8 years younger then smith.

Hall Of Fame
    if you guys remember this is the second time smith got cut, the first time was so that we didn't have to guarantee his salary, that should have been a major clue that they didn't think they would need his services very long

hopefully that means the rooks are doing very well and progressing in practice

The rooks have to be doing well in practice

and why would he sign another safety? we have a lot of options there

Rookie
    I was going to post this ealrier then got stuck in another meeting. I'm hoping we see Weaver back.

All Pro
    Pagel makes the field once and lands on the IR

Pathetic

Super*****/Prom Queen
    Are you guys forgetting about your beloved "Knish"?

#64 G Dave Yovanovits
    Added to the active roster on October 13, 2004.
    Signed to the Jets practice squad on September 6, 2004 after being released by the club on September 5, 2004.
    Dave Yovanovits was a seventh-round draft selection of the Jets in 2003 out of Temple University. He was inactive for all 16 games during his rookie campaign. Yovanovits played in all four preseason games this summer as a reserve guard.

I'm sorry to see any player get cut but Smith sucked, big time. The insurgence of youngbloods on the team & field this year has made all the difference in the world, see example 6-2 season for more details. :lol:

All Pro
    Originally posted by No1JetFan@Nov 9 2004, 10:10 PM
    I was going to post this ealrier then got stuck in another meeting. I'm hoping we see Weaver back.
    my exact thought Jarrell bring back Jarrell-I used to use his pic from the Daily News as my avatar picture #32 rocks.Hey I figure it's about time they re-sign him to the PS merry-go- round anyway,they do,do that ya know

Hall Of Fame
    we shouldn't blast Brent Smith, just imagine how truly bad we would have been l;ast year without him, he did his job now pat him on the ass and send him home but he doesn't deserve to be bashed

All Pro
    I suspect we'll see Brent Smith back pretty quickly. He's (hush, hush) injured at present, and the Jets have probably waived him to bring in a backup in the short term - maybe that Dwayne Ledford guy they keep working out.

Once Smith is healthy again, I expect to see him resigned as the #1 backup at OT. The Jets pulled a similar move earlier this year, cutting him when he was injured then resigning him when he was fit. I expect the same thing will happen again - Smith doesn't make a fuss about being cut while he is technically injured as he is keen to stay with the Jets.

The move to bring in another S is a good move. With Pagel on IR and McGraw and Washington hurt, the Jets had only 2 healthy safeties on the roster in Coleman and Tongue.