Thread: How The Jets and Ravens Matchup This Sunday

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

In The NFL. It's not about records. That's not how you decide who will win a football game. It's all based on how teams match up against eachother.

When The Chiefs were 0 and 3 and heading into Baltimore to face The Ravens. I knew that KC would beat Baltimore because they matched up really well with them. The Cheifs are a power offense and they manhandled Baltimore's speed defense.

Last week, The Bears matched up really well with The Giants. Tiki Barber has success against teams that don't have great speed in the front 7. Lovie Smith's scheme drove The Giants offense nuts. Ron Rivera the former Eagles defensive assistant and now Bears defensive coordinator blitzed The Giants alot. He knew how to attack Kurt Warner and The Giants from his days in Philly. The Giants did not match up well with Chicago. That game had upset written all over it.

Here's how I think that The Jets and Ravens matchup this sunday.

THE JETS OFFENSE VS THE RAVENS DEFENSE

The Ravens defense has had problems with QB's who can evade the rush with their feet. McNabb and Garcia both did good jobs of avoiding negative sack plays when they played Baltimore. Even Trent Green had some big scramble plays against Baltimore. He evaded two big 3rd down sacks in that game and by doing so, The Chiefs extended drives and went on to score touchdowns. In the past, QB's like Steve McNair and even Kordell Stewart have had success against this defense.

This helps The Jets offense somewhat because of Quincy Carter's mobility and The Jets roll out plays. They love to put their QB on the move. I fully expect The Jets to try and do this.

The Jets on offense like to move Mawae, Moore and Kendall on sweeps and drag plays. This type of scheme is not succesful against Baltimore. You need to line up and run right at them. The Ravens swarm to the football and are a great pursuit defense. Running to the outside rarely ever works against them. They have alot of speed and are great open field tacklers. You need to run right at them and try and wear them down. It's going to be really hard for The Jets to have any real success running against The Ravens. Their defense is built to stop The Jets favorite run plays. Having an all world center like Mawae helps. Mawae is a big factor in sundays game and will be called upon to set the tone against Kelly Gregg and The Ravens linebackers.

The Jets pass offense will have it's share of problems as well. Jason Fabini has a big task in trying to block Terrell Suggs. Suggs will come from both sides and Kareem McKenzie will draw him as well. The Jets may try and run some draw plays to his side to keep him honest. The Ravens are not a great pass rushing team especially without Peter Boulware. Minus Suggs, The Ravens do not have another great pass rusher. Their d-lineman are role players whose jobs are to tie up blockers so that their linebackers can run free.

Chris McAlister will completely shut down Santana Moss. He has the strength and size advantage and can run step for step with him. Justin McCareins will most likely draw Gary Baxter. Baxter is big and strong enough to be physical with Justin. Baxter however, can be beat deep. He's been beat a few times this season and McCareins has owned him in the past. The key here is going to be The Ravens nickel and dime players vs Wayne Chrebet and Jonathan Carter. This is an area where The Jets need to have success in order to win. If Deion Sanders doesn't play. Raymond Walls and Corey Fuller will draw this task. Chrebet could be essential underneath and The Jets should try and go deep atleast once with Carter.

The Jets like to use their backs and tight ends in the passing game and they are going to need them against Baltimore. If you are The Jets, You wanna try and get Adalius Thomas to cover Jerald Sowell one on one. Ed Reed will be involved in every play so that The Jets have to account for him on blitzes and he will line up on the line of scrimmage to stop the run and to protect the backside.

You gotta avoid negative plays against The Ravens. They thrive on it. They get so many tackles for loss and put opposing offenses in 2nd and 3rd and long situations. The Jets offensive scheme is not designed for those situations. The Jets need to get positive yardage on the first two downs in order to be able to convert on 3rd down.

THE RAVENS OFFENSE VS THE JETS DEFENSE

Jamal Lewis, Jamal Lewis, Jamal Lewis and some more Jamal Lewis. Expect a heavy dose on sunday. The kind of dose that Jamal uses a phone to help his friend get "hooked up" with. Over under on Jamal carries, 27. The Jets defense has given up two 100 yard rushers in the past 3 weeks. Corey Dillon is similar to Jamal. A big power back with good footwork and speed. You can't let Lewis get started because once he gets a full ahead of steam. It's impossible to tackle him. The Jets need to gang tackle here. They can't expect to make any solo tackles against him.

The Jets are a speed and hustle defense and can be overpowered. The Jets really need Shaun Ellis in this game because he's The Jets best defender against the run on the d-line. He will stand up blockers. The Ravens know exactly the type of defense that The Jets play and how to attack it. WHY? Because The Jets are playing a version of their defense minus the 3-4.

This is where the game will be won or lost. At the line of scrimmage.

The Ravens are a power football team and will attempt to run right at The Jets. Robertson and Ferguson will be challenged heavily in this game and will draw Mike Flynn and Edwin Mulitalo.

The Ravens offensive line will miss Jon Ogden in pass protection. I expect The Ravens to try and double John Abraham. Since he will be coming from Boller's backside. They will watch The Bills game films and imitate what they did. Baltimore has to get Ethan Brooks help. Shaun Ellis will draw Olrando Brown if he plays. That's a big matchup in this game. The Ravens can't afford to have Ellis and Abraham win their battles this week. They could disrupt The Ravens offense.

The Ravens will try and take some shots deep against The Jets corners. Clarence Moore is a young rising player with great size and speed. Boller has a very strong arm and will take a few shots. Baltimore would love to have Todd Heap back in this game. He would open up the play action game and the outside of the field.

The Jets will attempt to blitz Kyle Boller and rattle him early. The weather and the crowd noise could be a big factor. Baltimore needs to get out in front in this game so that they can control the game and slow things down for Kyle. Boller's play has improved a bit the last two weeks. He's stayed away from the bad play and he's starting to develop some chemistry with Travis Taylor and Clarence Moore. Both are big WR's with good speed.

The Ravens offensive coaching staff has great knowledge of Donnie Henderson and his defense and Henderson has great knowledge of what The Ravens like to do on offense. So this is basically a wash. It will come down to the players making plays.

THE JETS SPECIAL TEAMS VS THE RAVENS SPECIAL TEAMS.

This is the area that could very well decide the game. If it's a turnover free game. Special teams will be the deciding factor sunday. The Ravens have the clear edge here. The wind could be a huge factor sunday. Stover and Doug Brien are very similar kickers. They both have great accuracy but lack range. The Ravens are better at kicking off than The Jets are. B.J. Sams is a dynamic returner and could give The Jets big problems on kick returns and punt returns. The jets have already given up big yaradage in this area. The loss of Jason Glenn doesn't help.

The Jets really need Santana Moss this week to step up on returns. The Ravens have given up some big returns on their units as well. Their punt coverage is stellar though. Their problem area has been kick returns. Jonathan Carter and Lamont Jordan need to give The Jets better field position than they have this season.

Zastudil and Toby Gowin are both mediocre punters. Zastudil has better hang time and pins teams better inside the 20. Ravens have an edge here.

OVERALL VIEW

I don't see how The Jets are going to have success running the football. Their style isn't suited for The Ravens front. I can see Jamal Lewis having success even without Ogden. The team that controls the clock and limits mistakes will win this game.

The Jets only had the ball for 22 minutes last week and The Jets defense was on the field for 37 minutes. The defense started to wear down late.

The pressure will be on Quincy Carter to make plays and more importantly, avoid negative plays. I don't like how The Jets matchup here. You don't get many chances to score against Baltimore and you have to capatilize when you do. You can't miss field goals or blow scoring opportunities in the red zone with turnovers.

The Jets best chance for success is to contain Jamal Lewis somewhat and to avoid giving up the big play. The Ravens have the capability to get big plays on offense with their run game, on defense with turnovers and on special teams with big returns.

The team that gets out in front early has a chance to win this game. That team can control the clock and dictate the style of the game. This game will be simplified big time.

This is a big week for The Jets front lines on offense and on defense. They need to win their battles if they want to win this game.

All League
    Thanks Cliff

BTW Southern Jet really misses your diatribes.

Do you do all the typing or do you have some special device?

BTW I play Jericho and Bench wayne, it is apparent that he is hurt.
    I also use Carter, go 4 wrs no huddle... just to mix it up,

This is a poor matchup, probably worse with Chad as he is simply too
    slow on his feet. i penciled this in as a loss. With Quincy we have a chance, he
    has a rifle and can move. The question is whether he has may brainfarts?
    He has also has never had a running game to work with. He had to do too much
    in Big D. His wr's also sucked.

Did not we beat Ravens in their SB year, i believe Vinnie Turd was QB and
    we used some gadget plays to win.

Also remember that Chad has sucked when playing vs strong D's! a

Veteran
    good job, however i do want to add something... people need to get off of Chris McAlister's nuts. there is no such thing as a shutdown corner

The main thing the Jets have to do this week is either score some points or keep the game close.

Baltimore does not win close games because they have no offensive firepower. In the last three seasons they have a 1-7 record in games decided by 3 points or less. You can beat this team if you hang around. Their defense takes a ton of chances and you can get the big play if you catch them at the right time and especially if you take Lewis out of his game the way Kansas City did a few weeks back where they mauled Lewis.

If you cant keep it close the you have to score some, not alot of, points against these guys. In games where the opposition has scored at least 20 points Baltimore is a horrible 5-13 in the last three years and only 1-6 in the last 2 with the Boller/Wright seasons. Baltimore is at its best if its hold you under 2 TDs, where they have had a 14-2 record over the last few seasons. Both of the two losses were close games, the others were not. The Jets shouldn't have a problem holding the Ravens under 14 points if they dont let the defense or special teams score points. As you said we have to take advantage of every scoring opportunity this week and not turn it over when we get a chance to score, but we will probably have to take a few shots at making some plays. Hopefully last week was a wake up call for Moss the way his game against Miami was last season because he could play a large role on special teams.

I think when its all done on Sunday whichever defense and STs is responsible for more points is going to be the winner of the game.

The other interesting thing will be to see how the Jets bounce back this week after last weeks loss. Sicne Herm took over as coach just about every time the Jets came out and played those horrid games everyone thinks they should have won they have bounced back often big the next week.

Last season was the loss at Buffalo followed up by a 6-0 win against the Steelers. In 2002 the Browns loss was followed by a 40+ point effort on the road and after the Chicago loss we went up to Foxboro and put up 30 on the Pats. In 2001 we lost a must have game versus Buffalo in the Meadowlands and boucned back to win on the road in Oakland to make the playoffs. This team has responded to Herm as the season moves on in these situations and this could be a very prepared and motivated Jets team if we follow suit.

Maxman
    Originally posted by Jason423@Nov 10 2004, 11:36 PM
    The other interesting thing will be to see how the Jets bounce back this week after last weeks loss. Sicne Herm took over as coach just about every time the Jets came out and played those horrid games everyone thinks they should have won they have bounced back often big the next week.

Last season was the loss at Buffalo followed up by a 6-0 win against the Steelers. In 2002 the Browns loss was followed by a 40+ point effort on the road and after the Chicago loss we went up to Foxboro and put up 30 on the Pats. In 2001 we lost a must have game versus Buffalo in the Meadowlands and boucned back to win on the road in Oakland to make the playoffs. This team has responded to Herm as the season moves on in these situations and this could be a very prepared and motivated Jets team if we follow suit.
    Good post Jason. It is a tall order this week but they can't come out flat. It is going to be a physical game.

Rookie
    by the way. . .we lost to the ravens on x-mas eve the year they won the superbowl. we were up 14-0 in the 1st quarter, outgained them like 500-200, and still lost 34-20. Al Groh's last game as HC of the Jets. Brett Conway kicked for us in that game, after John Hall's last second miss against Detroit gave the Lions their last road win for over 2 years.

All League
    Hopefully this wont be Quincy against the Ravens D.

Waterboy
    Your game will be tough. The Raven's defense is almost as good as the Bills, and you had a lot of trouble with the Bills defense (WITH your starting QB).

Even though most of you think Quincy will do great, you must remember he is playing for the first time in 10 months. Usually takes AT LEAST one game to get back in the swing of things.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

afsomf- The Jets would have had a better chance with Pennington at QB. Pennington's accuracy and on field smarts will be missed. His playaction will also be missed. Chad's playfaking skills would have slowed down the over pursuing Ravens. That's what playfaking does, It gets defenders to hesitate. That's what you want to do vs Baltimore. Get them to think twice about running full speed to the ball.

Unlike most Jets fans. I trust and have full confidence in Chad Pennington. I don't trust Quincy Carter. He's going to have to earn that trust.

Jason423- I really like your posts. You put alot of thought into them. I agree with alot of what you stated. In order to have a chance against Baltimore. You gotta get to 20 points.

Quizlet- You are right. Quincy has had very little time in this offense or with these players. That's a factor in this game. How many times will Carter make the wrong read or not be on the same page as his teammates. Will he able to execute the playbook without error. My guess is NO.

The Jets defense and special teams have to step up this week. I don't think that The Jets will be able to run the ball with good success this sunday. They need to run enough just to keep Baltimore's D honest. If they put the game on Carter's shoulders. The Jets are in big trouble.

I've read alot of The Baltimore papers and to me, It seems like The Ravens are extremely confident going into sundays game. The Jets have alot of question marks. They don't look confident this week. They look concerned.

Undrafted Free Agent
    this is what i see for the matchup this week...A BLOWOUT..carter surprises all you naysays..and curtis gets 150 yards..jets play better when they are backed in a corner..and pennington makes them feel like a wounded animal..and wounded animals are the most furious creatures...JETS WIN 35-10

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by YoungJetsFan@Nov 10 2004, 01:59 PM
    The Jets on offense like to move Mawae, Moore and Kendall on sweeps and drag plays. This type of scheme is not succesful against Baltimore. You need to line up and run right at them. The Ravens swarm to the football and are a great pursuit defense. Running to the outside rarely ever works against them. They have alot of speed and are great open field tacklers. You need to run right at them and try and wear them down. It's going to be really hard for The Jets to have any real success running against The Ravens. Their defense is built to stop The Jets favorite run plays. Having an all world center like Mawae helps. Mawae is a big factor in sundays game and will be called upon to set the tone against Kelly Gregg and The Ravens linebackers.

Given this comment (which I agree with), why do you think the Jets tried over and over to run up the middle against a Buffalo defense which has two widebodies taking up space in the middle? I would have thought the recipe would be back and forth outside the tackles.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by Piper+Nov 11 2004, 06:34 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Piper @ Nov 11 2004, 06:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-YoungJetsFan@Nov 10 2004, 01:59 PM
    The Jets on offense like to move Mawae, Moore and Kendall on sweeps and drag plays. This type of scheme is not succesful against Baltimore. You need to line up and run right at them. The Ravens swarm to the football and are a great pursuit defense. Running to the outside rarely ever works against them. They have alot of speed and are great open field tacklers. You need to run right at them and try and wear them down. It&#39;s going to be really hard for The Jets to have any real success running against The Ravens. Their defense is built to stop The Jets favorite run plays. Having an all world center like Mawae helps. Mawae is a big factor in sundays game and will be called upon to set the tone against Kelly Gregg and The Ravens linebackers.

Given this comment (which I agree with), why do you think the Jets tried over and over to run up the middle against a Buffalo defense which has two widebodies taking up space in the middle? I would have thought the recipe would be back and forth outside the tackles. [/b][/quote]

Unfortunately, I have the game on tape and I&#39;ve watched a few times.

The real problem in that game was that The Jets only had the football for 22 minutes. Hard to win games when you don&#39;t have the ball.

Pennington was off to a flying start early. He was throwing passes into the wind and The Jets were using their WR&#39;s and were picking on Terrance McGee. Pennington&#39;s level of play dropped when he got hurt. That was a nice scramble for a first down when The Bills forced that fumble. That play changed the game and perhaps The Jets season.

Chad still had a great drive late in the second quarter and that was a beautifully designed td pass to McCareins. Hackett caught The Bills nicely there.

As the game went on, Chad&#39;s injury starting to get worse,. He only had 4 passes in the second half. A big drop by Baker and a drop by Iron Hands Becht. There was the int of course to Milloy.

The Bills set up their defense beautifully against The Jets. They spread their formation out and begged The Jets to run inside. Martin broke a nice 19 yard run early but for the most part, The Bills completely shut The Jets down. That&#39;s a credit to their defense because they are ranked 2nd in The NFL and they have yet to give up a 100 yard rusher.

The Bills have found a good formula for their team. Run the ball like crazy, throw only when neccesary and control the clock. They max protect now on offense and Drew Bledsoe has 2 really good WR&#39;s who can beat you deep in Moulds and Evans. If they get out in front in games. It&#39;s to their advantage. If they fall behind, That&#39;s where The Bills get in trouble.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by YoungJetsFan@Nov 11 2004, 02:43 PM
    The Bills set up their defense beautifully against The Jets. They spread their formation out and begged The Jets to run inside. Martin broke a nice 19 yard run early but for the most part, The Bills completely shut The Jets down. That&#39;s a credit to their defense because they are ranked 2nd in The NFL and they have yet to give up a 100 yard rusher.

In short, Hackett got suckered, again.

And neither of our TE&#39;s can catch.

Marvelous.