Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some Say It was Hackett, Some Herm

Before I start this thread I just want to point out that Im not gonna call people non fans and silly stuff of that nature. But I just want people to consider a few possibilities.

Hendu deserves a lot more blame for the defeat than most have given him:

"4th and 8 at NYJ 34 Kyle Boller (BAL) pass right side complete to Chester Taylor (BAL) for 23 yards."

I understand that this was an awfuly tough position the defense was put in, but they managed to get this team to go for it on 4th and 8! A championship caliber defense stops Kyle Boller and the Ravens on 4th and 8! The Ravens didn't complete a 4th down all year and managed to execute! This play resulted into a Ravens touchdown.

"3rd and 11 at NYJ 16 Kyle Boller (BAL) pass across the middle complete to Clarence Moore (BAL) for a 16 yard touchdown."

3rd and long! In one of the biggest spots in the entire game! If the Raven's dont make this extremely difficult play, the game is 100% different! Again, a great Defensive coordinator should stop a hapless offense on 3rd and 11!

"3rd and 14 at NYJ 34 Kyle Boller (BAL) pass right side complete to Travis Taylor (BAL) for 10 yards."

To give up 10 yards on this play, and basically hand them the game is lunacy! If the Jets stop this pass, Stover has to hit a 52 yarder! Who knows if the Ravens even attempt it? Again one of the biggest stops of the game, and they executed.

Now please don't get me wrong. I love Hendu. He has been HUGE! for our Run Defense and for the most part has been a very good coach this year. But to not blame him for yesterdays loss at all I think is a bit of a reach. Again I think he is a very good coordinator, but deserves some of the blame.

Good points. Blame can be equally distributed this week... O, D, coaches, & players...The Jets are just not playing to their potential. Very Jekyl & Hyde. Quite frustrating.

All Pro
    Gimme a break the guy just got here.

Banned
    i don't blame henderson. first of all. he called a good play on one of those plays and the blitz just didnt get to boller. second, all the three and outs hackett was calling our offense into, the defense was on the field too long.

Practice Squad
    This game is a shut-out at half time if we don't call a HB toss. That's why. This defense has carried the offense all year.

This game is a shut-out at half time if we don't call a HB toss. That's why. This defense has carried the offense all year.
    Like when it gave up nearly 30 in the first 2 games?

But thats not the point. I clearly stated Hendu has been very good this year. But those type of crutial plays are made by winning teams.

So what if he just got here? He's been producing all year, why not yesterday?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

The secondary sucks-- the coverage was just plain terrible.

I agree the coverage wasn't great, Tounge especially. And also, I know I have been picking on our sweet hearts, but Vilma was caught right inbetween the 2 big TD's, and on one play, was the main culprate for a long gain. Again not tryen to pick on him, cuz he also has played very well, but he didn't play all that great yesterday.

All Pro
    Originally posted by Buzzsaw@Nov 15 2004, 05:18 PM
    The secondary sucks-- the coverage was just plain terrible.
    I agree. The secondary is full of underachievers except for D. Abraham and E. Coleman.
    I think Henderson is still learning (gulp) but he has to use the players he has. I dont think its so much Henderson's defensive play calling , its more the players....all the those 3rd and longs that the Ravens converted on is due to the talent in our secondary and not the position that Henderson had them in.
    Ill give Henderson a pass because his defense has carried the team, except for the Monday Night beat down of the Dolphins.

Veteran
    Constant third and Fourth Long Conversions Killed the Jets but It was the HORRID CLOCK MANAGEMENT and Hackett Play calling that broke the JETS BACK. Not Lamont, Not THE D, Not Donnie it is THE COACHING STAFF. THEY HAD PLenty of Oppurtunities to make up for the Mistakes made throughout the Game But BLEW IT WHEN THEY PLAYED TO NOT LOOSE THE GAME RATHER THAN WIN THE GAME. A CHampion Rallies back from adversity and finds a way to get in the ENDZONE in those final seconds. The Jets were either afraid to take the lead with time left for some God For Saken Reason that the Ravens might march 80 yards to a TD to win it. OR they PLAYED FOR A FG???????????? inside the 10 yard Line. The Patriots, Colts, Eagles, Steelers PLAY FOR THE TD There if the Jets had the Mentality of those NFL Elite Teams they Punch In in. Then You can say all the Things they overcame to get the win. Champions find ways to win. AND HERM AND HACKETT were Afraid to do it.

P.S. Congrats to Joe Beningo on the Promotion on the Fan. and Take the over

All League
    Originally posted by verdegirl@Nov 15 2004, 05:58 PM
    Good points. Blame can be equally distributed this week... O, D, coaches, & players...The Jets are just not playing to their potential. Very Jekyl & Hyde. Quite frustrating.
    Nothing wrong with Herm, Hackett or Henderson. The Jets have an excellent coaching staff regardless of what the bloviating media and disappointed fans believe.

Face it, the offense lacks a bona fide Pro Bowl WR and have an average to mediocre set of TE's. Hackett is doing a credible job, especially with Pennington and the running game. The defense is exactly what everone hoped it would be. A vastly improved front seven with the addition of new LB'ers, but a suspect secondary who isn't good enough not to give up some long passes.

With that group of players, Jet fans need to root for a wildcard spot and a lot of luck in the playoffs.

Next season concentrate on acquiring that Pro Bowl WR next season and significantly upgrading the secondary as they did with the LBer's this year. A qulaity pass catching TE should also be on the agenda for an off season free agent pickup.

Waterboy
    IMO Henderson has done a fantastic job calling plays and managing the talent that he has. He has taken a stance that he will be aggresive with his talented front 7 to cover the weaknesses of his back 4. D Abraham, Barrett, and Tongue have been horrible vs the pass. Coleman has been great for a rookie, especially a late rounder, but he has made some blunders as well. Henderson's only other option is to drop the LB's back in coverage and IMO if he does we will get beat deep constantly because there will be no pressure on the QB. He brings at least 5 guys onjust about every pass play and lives off pressuring the QB. Sometimes you get burned, but we have not let up alot of points at all. This loss (Nor any other loss) had absolutely nothing to do with Henderson's D.

Practice Squad
    All I'm saying is that if the offense didn't lose the 50 yards of field position, we win this game easy. The other team's gonna score points I don't care who they have. I really think this one goes on the offense. You're definately right about the first game, but even with the last drive the Ravens had I was happy with the D. Jamal Lewis was a non factor.

Banned
    maybe because the defense has at least improved this year somewhat...

I agree with you. OVERALL The D played extremely well.

It just bothers me to see the most crutial plays slip thru our grasps. 3-11, 4-8, 3-17. All resulting in scores.

Veteran
    how about 4th and goal on the jets 1 yd line with the one of the biggest, toughest, and meanest NFL RBs getting the ball

how about that call?

Originally posted by The Chad@Nov 15 2004, 07:25 PM
    how about 4th and goal on the jets 1 yd line with the one of the biggest, toughest, and meanest NFL RBs getting the ball

how about that call?
    Luck!
    (just kidding&#33

But please explain how, after a first half of domination (sans halfback option nightmare) the Jets manage to go completely into the toilet on BOTH sides of the ball?

The Chad:

I think people are missing my point. And I apologize I probally didn't state it clear enough.

I THINK HENDU'S DEFENSE HAS BEEN EXCELLENT.

But when Hendu's D Screw up a major play, its the personell.

When Hackett F's up, its Hackett.

You say Hendu didn't make Tounge blow majorly. But Hackett makes his players suck.

Just a double standard sometimes.

Practice Squad
    Yeah but you could say the same thing about the Ravens D on our last drive. It just happens sometimes...I know that's a crappy argument and everything but that happens a lot.

I agree with you, the Ravens F'd up big time on the last drive. But they didnt even give up a 1st down after that. But good point.