Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do we replace McKenzie?

All Pro
    I think there is a very good chance we will lose him in free agency. Jones and Cavka will not be ready by next year, if ever. I have to believe our first round priority in next year's draft is the long awaited shut down corner. Or maybe a safety now that we know that Tongue is a proven bust (and aging at that) and McGraw will apparently always be an injury risk. Does anyone know how deep the UFA market will be for offensive tackles next year?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Originally posted by dmaynard@Nov 28 2004, 01:00 PM
    I think there is a very good chance we will lose him in free agency.
    I think the Pats make a very aggressive run at McKenzie.

He would certainly be a very nice addition.

Veteran
    Originally posted by PatsFanTX+Nov 28 2004, 01:02 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PatsFanTX @ Nov 28 2004, 01:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-dmaynard@Nov 28 2004, 01:00 PM

He would certainly be a very nice addition. [/b][/quote]
    Go for it. Just be prepared to give up two first rounders. McKenzie will be franchised. I am very confident that the Jets will sign J abe - they would not sign ellis now if they didnt think they could get a deal done with abe. It makes sense to franchise McKenzie - for one, the average of the top 5 right tackles salaries is affordable and if another team does sign him - he can be replaced in the first round next year with one of the 2 compensatory picks. abe is not replacable, mckenzie is.

you heard it hear first - abe gets signed, mckenzie gets franchised.

All Pro
    We can&#39;t franchise half the team.

Someone is gone fellas, face the facts

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Originally posted by djc@Nov 28 2004, 01:13 PM

Go for it. Just be prepared to give up two first rounders. McKenzie will be franchised. I am very confident that the Jets will sign J abe - they would not sign ellis now if they didnt think they could get a deal done with abe. It makes sense to franchise McKenzie - for one, the average of the top 5 right tackles salaries is affordable and if another team does sign him - he can be replaced in the first round next year with one of the 2 compensatory picks. abe is not replacable, mckenzie is.

Good call djc.

Best scenario for Jets is to sign Abe and franchise McKenzie.

You sure you don&#39;t want to franchise Jordan instead? :lol:

Veteran
    Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria@Nov 28 2004, 01:14 PM
    We can&#39;t franchise half the team.

Someone is gone fellas, face the facts
    Who&#39;s talking about half the team? Becht - gone. Jordan - gone. Ellis - resigned. Abe - resigned. McKenzie - franchised.

Banned
    Originally posted by PatsFanTX+Nov 28 2004, 01:16 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PatsFanTX @ Nov 28 2004, 01:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-djc@Nov 28 2004, 01:13 PM

Good call djc.

You sure you don&#39;t want to franchise Jordan instead? :lol: [/b][/quote]
    Nah we&#39;ll let him walk and sign someone like NE&#39;s Faulk for our back-up RB. :lol:

Veteran
    Originally posted by PatsFanTX+Nov 28 2004, 01:16 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PatsFanTX @ Nov 28 2004, 01:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-djc@Nov 28 2004, 01:13 PM

Good call djc.

You sure you don&#39;t want to franchise Jordan instead? :lol: [/b][/quote]
    I can&#39;t tell if you are being sarcastic about the good call, but I&#39;ll assume you&#39;re not and thank you.

One question - when calculating the top 5 average salary for a position such as right tackle - is it calculated for right tackles only, or for offensive tackles in general? Thats a huge difference, obviously, and could significantly impact the ability to afford mckenzie at the franchise tag salary.

All League
    Originally posted by djc+Nov 28 2004, 01:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (djc @ Nov 28 2004, 01:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by PatsFanTX@Nov 28 2004, 01:16 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin-djc
    @Nov 28 2004, 01:13 PM

Good call djc.

You sure you don&#39;t want to franchise Jordan instead? :lol:
    I can&#39;t tell if you are being sarcastic about the good call, but I&#39;ll assume you&#39;re not and thank you.

One question - when calculating the top 5 average salary for a position such as right tackle - is it calculated for right tackles only, or for offensive tackles in general? Thats a huge difference, obviously, and could significantly impact the ability to afford mckenzie at the franchise tag salary. [/b][/quote]
    I do not think they separate out RT&#39;s from LT&#39;s, which would be a problem franchising McKenzie.

Jones and Cavka may have the potential to step in next year at RT...who knows?

I&#39;m more worried about Fabini at LT than what&#39;s going to happen at RT...Fabini is adequate still, but he ain&#39;t getting any younger or faster and is probably more suited for RT than LT.

I&#39;d say in the draft next year the Jets might take an OT in the first round, especially if that pick projects to play LT...

Banned
    drafting Olineman in the 1st rd esp. is so damn boring. but ya gotta do what ya gotta do, but it won&#39;t happen. McKenzie is having a so so season this year anyways, adrian jones better shape up, and actually attempt to block the DEs unlike the preseason where he just watched Freeney wizz by him and destroy ricky ray, that was pathetic.

Veteran
    Originally posted by ErIcBaRtOn50@Nov 28 2004, 02:52 PM
    drafting Olineman in the 1st rd esp. is so damn boring. but ya gotta do what ya gotta do, but it won&#39;t happen. McKenzie is having a so so season this year anyways, adrian jones better shape up, and actually attempt to block the DEs unlike the preseason where he just watched Freeney wizz by him and destroy ricky ray, that was pathetic.
    You say Mckenzie is having a so so year and then in the same post you mention freeney blowing by jones in preseason. Do you EVER see mckenzie getting blown by like that? NO, you don&#39;t. McKenzie is a good, possibly great right tackle. He will be franchised. Mark my words.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by PatsFanTX+Nov 28 2004, 01:02 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PatsFanTX @ Nov 28 2004, 01:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-dmaynard@Nov 28 2004, 01:00 PM

He would certainly be a very nice addition. [/b][/quote]
    And if he resigns with the Jets, "he was no good anyway."

Transparent jackass.

All Pro
    Originally posted by djc+Nov 28 2004, 02:54 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (djc @ Nov 28 2004, 02:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ErIcBaRtOn50@Nov 28 2004, 02:52 PM
    You say Mckenzie is having a so so year and then in the same post you mention freeney blowing by jones in preseason. Do you EVER see mckenzie getting blown by like that? NO, you don&#39;t. McKenzie is a good, possibly great right tackle. He will be franchised. Mark my words. [/b][/quote]
    I think you are right. Franchising McKenzie seems like the best bet. Assuming we sign Abe, that allows us to concentrate on the secondary in next year&#39;s draft and gives us a couple of off-seasons to find a replacement for McKenzie.

All League
    This is simple. Hope Eric Winston turns pro, even coming off the injury. Draft him in the 20s range. Move Fabini to RT. Wait for Winston to come back from injury and get our stud LT.

Veteran
    Originally posted by dmaynard+Nov 28 2004, 03:02 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dmaynard @ Nov 28 2004, 03:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by djc@Nov 28 2004, 02:54 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin-ErIcBaRtOn50
    @Nov 28 2004, 02:52 PM

You say Mckenzie is having a so so year and then in the same post you mention freeney blowing by jones in preseason. Do you EVER see mckenzie getting blown by like that? NO, you don&#39;t. McKenzie is a good, possibly great right tackle. He will be franchised. Mark my words.
    I think you are right. Franchising McKenzie seems like the best bet. Assuming we sign Abe, that allows us to concentrate on the secondary in next year&#39;s draft and gives us a couple of off-seasons to find a replacement for McKenzie. [/b][/quote]
    I think abe being resigned is a given - there is no way, absolutely NO WAY, that they would sign ellis today if they were not positive that they could get abe signed too. I&#39;m very confident of this, especially given that abe and ellis have the same agent.

Franchising Mckenzie gives so many options:
    1) As you said, pay him for one year and find a tackle in the next 2 years
    2) Resign him during the franchise tag period, thereby retaining the tag for next season
    3) Allow another team to take him and be compensated with two first round picks. All of sudden you have 2 first rounders over the next 2 years, which would allow you to shore up both the secondary and the oline for a long time.

Veteran
    d&#39;brickashaw ferguson of virgina, or rob petiti of pittsburgh

ferguson i played ball against in high school, hes very light for an o lineman but his speed and technique are unmatched

ironically i know pettiti from a freind at work and when he was a freshman dwight freeney was a senior, he held freeney to only 1 tackle no sacks, pettiti and bryannt mckinni where the only ones to do that.
    i think ferguson could go late first round and pettiti could be 2nd or 3rd

can we give the transition tag to Jordan?

Veteran
    Originally posted by inVINCEible-@Nov 28 2004, 06:57 PM
    can we give the transition tag to Jordan?
    Yes, but then you cant give out the franchise tag. Also, it doesnt do much good - it just gives us the opportunity to match another team&#39;s offer, it doesnt provide for any compensation if he goes elsewhere. Any other team that makes an offer will be making him their true number one rb - which we can&#39;t afford to do.

All League
    Originally posted by djc+Nov 28 2004, 01:13 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (djc @ Nov 28 2004, 01:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by PatsFanTX@Nov 28 2004, 01:02 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin-dmaynard
    @Nov 28 2004, 01:00 PM

He would certainly be a very nice addition.

you heard it hear first - abe gets signed, mckenzie gets franchised. [/b][/quote]
    Bradway should read this board. You nailed it ..The threat of the "franchise Tag" will get Johnny ABE to sign, but the Poston Brothers will play hardball with Mac, you use the tag on Mac, Cavka or Jones should be ready the following year...

Banned
    Originally posted by djc+Nov 28 2004, 02:54 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (djc @ Nov 28 2004, 02:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ErIcBaRtOn50@Nov 28 2004, 02:52 PM
    You say Mckenzie is having a so so year and then in the same post you mention freeney blowing by jones in preseason. Do you EVER see mckenzie getting blown by like that? NO, you don&#39;t. McKenzie is a good, possibly great right tackle. He will be franchised. Mark my words. [/b][/quote]
    right. but jones was just a rookie then. I did see jason taylor drop MCkenzie like a sack of potatoes and sack chad. that was funny. the announcer called it the fat man drop. lol