Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: who would you like to see drafted?

All League
    this is off topic considering we are playin the steelers tommarrow but we know the story on that .. what i want to know is who do we want this offseason

this is my personal opinion so dont tear me apart

1st Round : Heath Miller TE Virginia(id really like to trade up for rolle if at all possible)
    2nd Round : JJ Arrington, RB, California
    3rd Round : Chris Henry WR West Virginia (this kid is 6'5&#33
    4th Round : Antonio Perkins CB Connecticut (I live in CT this kid is money)
    5th Round : Calvin Armstrong OT Washington St
    6th Round : Tyler King DE Connecticut (Hurt his senior year and was leading big east in sacks at time of injury... was supposed to go higher but is a sleeper pick)
    7th Round : Matt Payne P BYU (gowin sucks)

thoughts?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Like the idea of a TE in the first three rounds but Miller reminds me of Kyle Brady to much. JJ Arrington is only 5-8.5

All League
    he runs like a truck tho

All League
    I want D'Brickashaw Ferguson (Virginia OT) and DeAngelo Williams (Memphis RB) badly if we can get them. They are both juniors, but its not like we need them to produce immediately at those 2 positions. A TE and maybe a safety would be nice, but they are luxury positions. We need a bonafide franchise OT, for sure.

All League
    Armstrong is one of those project kids.... unbelievable athlete but an underachiever due to lack of technique.... a good coach could make him great

All League
    Originally posted by JetsFan3288@Dec 11 2004, 11:54 PM
    this is off topic considering we are playin the steelers tommarrow but we know the story on that .. what i want to know is who do we want this offseason

1st Round : Heath Miller TE Virginia(id really like to trade up for rolle if at all possible)
    3rd Round : Chris Henry WR West Virginia (this kid is 6'5&#33
    6th Round : Tyler King DE Connecticut (Hurt his senior year and was leading big east in sacks at time of injury... was supposed to go higher but is a sleeper pick)

thoughts?
    Mark Clayton WR Oklahoma. Pennington has no dominant Pro Bowl caliber WR. It's hindering the Jets offense. Clayton will be a Marvin Harrison type pro player. He's fallen out of favor this year. A top ten preseason pick, his stats are half of what they were a year ago. Primarily it's because of the emergence of Adrian Peterson at RB. Clayton is also not a favorite of those who evaluate players on 40 times and triangle numbers at the combine.

Jets should consider WR Jerry Porter. He is a free agent and the Raiders won't use a franchise tag on him. He's spent his four years in the NFL in a West Coast offense with Rich Gannon. He's a young player on the rise and the Jets should pay back Al Davis for signing Lamont Jordan if it comes to that.

There are no TE's worthy of a first round pick or project any better than an Anthony Becht so I would look at TE later in the draft. The Sporting News has no TE worthy of a first round pick.

If the Jets sign a Jerry Porter they can take a hard look at any number of potentially quality CB's, DE's or DT's when using their first rounder.

All League
    heath miller is so much better than stone hands

You ask for my thoughts... well... I am not sure I like what you are giving the Jets :unsure:

But I think the Jets could get all these players at the position they will be drafting in each round. So if your goal was to be conservative then hey, well done.

A TE in the first round, sounds all too much like a broken record. Then a second round RB which we obviously do not need not to mention the guy you have picked for us is probably too small to be anything but a third down back and he offers us nothing Curtis Martin doesn't so it's not like Herman Edwards would embrace the idea of putting him in for CuMart. SORRY!, but dont you think Edwards would likely have more faith in a LaMont clone subbing CuMart?

The WR at Virginia is going to be a project and right now I do not see him stealing a roster spot from Jonathan Carter who right now is our only kick returner, meanwhile the staff is very big on Jerricho Cotchery. Herman Edwards loves Cotchery from what we can tell, so there is no reason to pick a WR in the first three rounds that is a project. If you can get a Kerry Colbeart type player who is already polished then maybe you go and do it but this kid you want is a P-R-O-J-E-C-T. Maybe if the Jets release Wayne Chrebet then we can open this discussion back up but until then I think it's slammed shut.

Antonio Perkins will likely be gone well before Day 2 hits. He will probably be invited by several teams to be one of their alloted 20 players a team can check out. This team always needs cover corners and that is what Perkins is. They will evaluate him up close and I am sure at least one team will have a second round grade on him. Whether the board falls such that they take him on Day One is questionable.

I honestly have no clue who Calvin Armstrong is, but unless he is a real sleeper do we really need another OT project? We have Adrian Jones and Marko Cavka already. I would like to gamble heavily on taking several corners this year if anything and only keeping one or two of them. Depth at LB also would be nice since that could improve our special teams.

Tyler King, well, I don't know what to think. Except that I hope him well on draft day. I think he is a better version of Raheem Orr of Rutgers who got a shot with Houston earlier this year.

Finally, Matt Payne... great pick. The Jets should definitely draft a punter this year because they are fairly deep at most positions. However if they are going to sign that Australian punter then it would not be so great a pick to have three guys in camp competing for the punting job. That is my thought anyway. I have no idea how that breaks down in practice time if it is easy to evaluate three punters as it is two. I know only two will likely get game action.

-----

If we can get D'Brickashaw Ferguson (like the jetsfan80 guy suggested he/she would like to see), we will be set at LT for a decade. That would be a great first round pick. Of course he could struggle like Kwame Harris has for the 49ers but you take that risk... I think

All League
    Is it possible to draft an Offensive Coordinator?

JumbalayaJet should be drafted im sure is fat @ss could block with the best of them

All League
    Charter JI Member

Are you enjoying your last night on the board, welcher?

Banned
    Originally posted by BrAnDonLlyod is the Future@Dec 12 2004, 12:52 AM
    whats wrong? Im not bothering anyone. And this wont be my last day here, I have about 3 computers plus the one's at my college so this aint gonna be my last night here. I mean JumbalayaJet has been locking everything I have been saying for 2months now. So once fight back I get kicked off. By the way, I dont take anything seriously from a guy that wears a skirt
    Just say those magic words BrAnDonLlyod is the Future and you will have your wish.

All League
    Originally posted by rajensen088+Dec 12 2004, 01:28 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rajensen088 @ Dec 12 2004, 01:28 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JetsFan3288@Dec 11 2004, 11:54 PM

3rd Round : Chris Henry WR West Virginia (this kid is 6&#39;5&#33

thoughts?
    Mark Clayton WR Oklahoma. Pennington has no dominant Pro Bowl caliber WR. It&#39;s hindering the Jets offense. Clayton will be a Marvin Harrison type pro player. He&#39;s fallen out of favor this year. A top ten preseason pick, his stats are half of what they were a year ago. Primarily it&#39;s because of the emergence of Adrian Peterson at RB. Clayton is also not a favorite of those who evaluate players on 40 times and triangle numbers at the combine.

Jets should consider WR Jerry Porter. He is a free agent and the Raiders won&#39;t use a franchise tag on him. He&#39;s spent his four years in the NFL in a West Coast offense with Rich Gannon. He&#39;s a young player on the rise and the Jets should pay back Al Davis for signing Lamont Jordan if it comes to that.

There are no TE&#39;s worthy of a first round pick or project any better than an Anthony Becht so I would look at TE later in the draft. The Sporting News has no TE worthy of a first round pick.

If the Jets sign a Jerry Porter they can take a hard look at any number of potentially quality CB&#39;s, DE&#39;s or DT&#39;s when using their first rounder. [/b][/quote]
    If we decide to trade away Santana Moss after the season rather than giving him a new contract when he becomes a FA after the &#39;05 season, then yes, we could go after a receiver. Until that happens, however, I think we have to stick with what we have. We&#39;ve thrown too much money at McCareins and still are paying a lot to Chrebet for us to afford another receiver. We have plenty of depth, with Cotchery and Carter contributing as # 4 and 5 receivers, so unless we bring in someone to replace Santana, I can&#39;t see us possibly signing Jerry Porter or drafting someone early. We have too many other needs, particularly at OT (especially if McKenzie leaves), RB, and on the DL (if Ferguson and/or Abraham arent signed).

All League
    I&#39;d really like to get JJ Arrignton if we lose Jordan, I think he&#39;d make a good backup, different type of back than Jordan, but very productive this year, 7 yards a carry. I&#39;m not too concerned that he&#39;s a few inches shorter than most backs,, could make him harder for defenders to find him.

TomShane
    I like the idea by Jet80 of D&#39;Brickashaw Ferguson, myself. I don&#39;t want another RB in the 2nd round, though. I&#39;d rather go DB or receiver there. Mark Clayton, I agree, is going to be a big-time receiver for somebody, but I just don&#39;t see how another smallish receiver is going to fit into this offense. I honestly think that if the Jets make the playoffs that Herm won&#39;t have the guts to whack Hackett, as Herm loves the status quo. If we were going to run some variation of the spread offense a la Indy or the Rams, then I&#39;d say Clayton all the way if he&#39;s there, otherwise forget about it. The Postons are going to get MacKenzie top-dollar from someone, and he just ain&#39;t worth it. He&#39;s Randy Thomas playing RT. Ferguson is a nice replacement.

Banned
    1st rd carlos rogers
    2nd rd JJ Arrington or Shazor or TE Kevin Everett
    3rd rd (everett might still be here) if not I don&#39;t know, that&#39;s bradways damn job.

All League
    i dont like that draft at all

Practice Squad
    Unless he is a clone of Gonzolez on the Chiefs, then I do not want a TE in the first round this year no matter how good a prospect he is supposed to be.

Banned
    Originally posted by Evsbabes@Dec 12 2004, 09:50 AM
    Unless he is a clone of Gonzolez on the Chiefs, then I do not want a TE in the first round this year no matter how good a prospect he is supposed to be.
    he has great hands, but he is slow, he won&#39;t make any big runs after the catch. but he&#39;ll get open and catch the pass

All Pro
    Best Player available in this order:Favorite Is Listed

CB: Pac Jones :West Virginia
    DT : Haloti Ngata regon
    OLT:John Scott : Texas
    DE : Justin Tuck : Pit
    TE :Ben Hall : Clemson