Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's Not Just Pennington's Arm Strength

Veteran
    It isn't Just Pennington's arm strength that is holding him back. It's whenever he has to assume the role of a pocker passer that he struggles. This is not the type of QB that can take a 5 step drop and release the ball to the reciever 15-20 yards downfield.

He needs to move around. He likes to bounce in the pocket. He is most effective on playactions, rollouts, and misdirection plays. He needs the defense going one way, so that he can go the other. The past few starts Chad has had, it seems like they have been reluctant to use him this way, and it shows. I know they're scared he's gonna get hurt, but it's a risk they need to take.

Playaction, rollouts, and misdirection plays are when Pennington is at his best. Utilize his strengths instead of highlighting his weaknesses, like making him force the ball down field. Whenever the Jets play a good team, they try to turn Pennington into Marino. Let Pennington be Pennington and he'll be fine.

Banned
    yeah well if thats the case he better start to become more proficient at becoming a pocket passer also.

All League
    Originally posted by neckdemon@Dec 15 2004, 10:53 AM
    yeah well if thats the case he better start to become more proficient at becoming a pocket passer also.
    pay off your freaking bet will ya

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by afosomf+Dec 15 2004, 11:32 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (afosomf @ Dec 15 2004, 11:32 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-neckdemon@Dec 15 2004, 10:53 AM
    pay off your freaking bet will ya [/b][/quote]
    assmop, does someone owe you money? please advise so i can know who has no honor around here

All League
    Originally posted by dickkotite+Dec 15 2004, 11:36 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dickkotite @ Dec 15 2004, 11:36 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by afosomf@Dec 15 2004, 11:32 AM
    <!--QuoteBegin-neckdemon
    @Dec 15 2004, 10:53 AM

assmop, does someone owe you money? please advise so i can know who has no honor around here [/b][/quote]
    Dk- We had a signature bet? If one can&#39;t even honor one of these bets?

Banned
    Originally posted by afosomf+Dec 15 2004, 10:41 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (afosomf @ Dec 15 2004, 10:41 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by dickkotite@Dec 15 2004, 11:36 AM
    Originally posted by afosomf@Dec 15 2004, 11:32 AM
    <!--QuoteBegin-neckdemon
    @Dec 15 2004, 10:53 AM

assmop, does someone owe you money? please advise so i can know who has no honor around here
    Dk- We had a signature bet? If one can&#39;t even honor one of these bets? [/b][/quote]
    you&#39;re right. let me dig up the thread. i forgot exactly what i was supposed to write.

Banned
    alright i&#39;ve kept my word. just how long does this have to last? i say until chad plays a good game.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Originally posted by neckdemon@Dec 15 2004, 12:25 PM

just how long does this have to last? i say until chad plays a good game.

It will be pretty embarrassing having to keep that sig forever.

Banned
    no it was never stipulated for how long this will have to stay on my signature. like i said if he plays a great game soon, then i think i should take it off, having fulfilled my bet.

Veteran
    These problems are why my username isn&#39;t "ChadIsTheMan" or "MoLewisRules"

...nothing is forever.

Hall Of Fame
    Look, Chad&#39;s limitations were clear to some of us even way back when most on this site were all over his junk.

I got called Pats5ever for being honest about Chad. Seriously, I am getting sick and tired of being right all the time...it&#39;s hard work&#33;

All Pro
    Originally posted by jets5ever@Dec 15 2004, 04:35 PM
    Look, Chad&#39;s limitations were clear to some of us even way back when most on this site were all over his junk.

I got called Pats5ever for being honest about Chad. Seriously, I am getting sick and tired of being right all the time...it&#39;s hard work&#33;
    Didn&#39;t you also like Drew over Bardy?

Veteran
    Originally posted by PFSIKH@Dec 15 2004, 01:48 PM

Didn&#39;t you also like Drew over Bardy?
    i&#39;m not really sure who this Bardy guy is, but he sounds like he sucks.

Rookie
    I dunno why so many of yin&#39;z Jets fans are so down on Chad. IMO, if this guy had the weapons that Big Ben has he&#39;d be right up there with top 3 QB&#39;s in the AFC.
    Trust me on this, we&#39;ve had mediocre QB&#39;s since Bradshaw retired (25 freakin&#39; years&#33. Give Chad a Hines Ward, Plax type of combo and you&#39;ll see how good he is.

Rookie
    He is making bad decisions.

Practice Squad
    Originally posted by StillerPaul@Dec 15 2004, 01:18 PM
    yin&#39;z
    I love any time I get to see that (for lack of a better description) "word."

Use in a sentence:
    Hey&#33; Yinz going to Primanti&#39;s (PER-man-teeez)???

All Pro
    Originally posted by JOSH_EVANS_FAN@Dec 15 2004, 02:34 PM
    No, he made some bad decisions against Pittsburgh. He was terrific against Houston the week before, especially considering his shoulder injury, which may still be an issue.

The people on this board make it sound like he&#39;s Eli Manning, for god&#39;s sake. He&#39;s 7-3 this season, something like 22-14 career, and has had more good games than bad ones this season.

Yes, he struggled Sunday against a great defense. It happens. He&#39;s played well against good defenses in the past at times (New England &#39;02, Tennessee last year and this year&#39;s San Diego game come to mind, among others), and at other times he hasn&#39;t.

Has he played well against New England and Pitt this year? No. But I&#39;m not giving up on a guy based on two spotty games against teams that are a combined 22-2.

To paraphrase what one of the papers said today: Chad as a quarterback is what the Jets are as a team: Good, not yet great, but young enough to have a realistic hope he can get there.

Rookie
    Originally posted by jetsblogger+Dec 15 2004, 01:52 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jetsblogger @ Dec 15 2004, 01:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-StillerPaul@Dec 15 2004, 01:18 PM
    yin&#39;z
    I love any time I get to see that (for lack of a better description) "word."

Use in a sentence:
    Hey&#33; Yinz going to Primanti&#39;s (PER-man-teeez)??? [/b][/quote]
    Ha ha, i use that word just to entertain yin&#39;z
    Seriously though, ya should try having Bubby Brister, Mark Malone, Todd Blackledge, Mike Tomczak, Jim Miller, Kordell Stewart etc... then you&#39;d be begging for CP back&#33; :lol:

All League
    Originally posted by nuu faaola+Dec 15 2004, 04:11 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (nuu faaola @ Dec 15 2004, 04:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JOSH_EVANS_FAN@Dec 15 2004, 02:34 PM
    No, he made some bad decisions against Pittsburgh. He was terrific against Houston the week before, especially considering his shoulder injury, which may still be an issue.

The people on this board make it sound like he&#39;s Eli Manning, for god&#39;s sake. He&#39;s 7-3 this season, something like 22-14 career, and has had more good games than bad ones this season.

Yes, he struggled Sunday against a great defense. It happens. He&#39;s played well against good defenses in the past at times (New England &#39;02, Tennessee last year and this year&#39;s San Diego game come to mind, among others), and at other times he hasn&#39;t.

Has he played well against New England and Pitt this year? No. But I&#39;m not giving up on a guy based on two spotty games against teams that are a combined 22-2.

To paraphrase what one of the papers said today: Chad as a quarterback is what the Jets are as a team: Good, not yet great, but young enough to have a realistic hope he can get there. [/b][/quote]
    The fact is, he has had shoddy performances against every tough defense. This is nothing new.

And as for the quote you paraphrased from the paper, Chad is not young anymore. He is a veteran and in a position where this is HIS TEAM. True, he is hurt, so we don&#39;t quite know what Chad &#39;&#39;at his best&#39;&#39; is yet. But the fact that he is hurt ITSELF might reveal something much worse: he may be injury prone.

Basically, it&#39;s time to put up or shut up. If he&#39;s playing, he better play like he&#39;s 100 %, because otherwise, why is he in there? Him playing hurt hurts the team, so I will give him little sympathy out there. If he doesnt improve his game and beat an elite team at least once in a while (the Pats on Dec. 26th would be a good start, seeing as we may have to face them in the playoffs), then he may never be great.

Waterboy
    Originally posted by JetsFutureGM@Dec 15 2004, 08:43 AM
    He needs the defense going one way, so that he can go the other.
    Sounds like he&#39;s chicken shizzle if he needs this.

A lot of QB&#39;s in the league wouldn&#39;t mind it if the defense went the other way. But guess what, this is the NFL and the defense is coming like the hammers of hell. Plant your feet, check off your receivers and do your job. You can pick up your helmet after the whistle blows.

What a freakin&#39; sissy. Pennington is one of those QB&#39;s that doesn&#39;t want to get his uni dirty.