Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chad has lost his fastball

Hall Of Fame
    JETS CHALKTALK
    Chad has lost his fastball
    BY KEN BERGER
    STAFF WRITER

December 15, 2004

The Jets just lost a big game on the road, a game in which Chad Pennington played as poorly as he ever has as a Jet.

So it must be that time again - time to say Pennington can't win the big game.

It also must be time to say that whenever the Jets face a playoff-caliber team on the road, offensive coordinator Paul Hackett calls the game as though he left his playbook in the hotel bathroom.

"You can talk about potential as much as you want, and I believe we have all the potential in the world," Curtis Martin said. "But it has to come out at the right time in the right game."

First, let's look at Pennington. His performance in "big games" depends on your definition of "big." More to the point is Pennington's performance in his 15 career road starts. If the Jets make the playoffs, that is where they will be playing.

Pennington is an unimpressive 6-9 as a starter on the road, but his statistics shine: 64.5 completion percentage, 211.9 yards per game and more than twice as many touchdowns (21) as interceptions (10).

There is an alarming trend, however: Pennington has lost three consecutive road starts and six of his last eight. In those games, his completion percentage is slightly lower, and his touchdown-interception rate much worse (seven TDs, six INTs).

But the problem Sunday was not that Pennington can't win the big game. He's proven that he can. He performed splendidly at New England in a 30-17 December victory the Jets had to have to make the playoffs in 2002, and he once quarterbacked a 41-0 playoff victory over the Colts, did he not?

The problem Sunday was that he clearly didn't have enough zip or accuracy to make the throws he needed to make. This points to something that is more worrisome for the Jets than anything else: Pennington's shoulder.

Pennington almost certainly will need arthroscopic surgery on his right shoulder after the season. He was floating the ball Sunday and missing open receivers, including two throws that bounced. The Jets are going to have to find some way to compensate for Pennington's weakened shoulder, or cornerbacks will sit on the numbers, shrink the field and make his life miserable.

As for Hackett, there are plenty of valid reasons to question him. But it would be irresponsible to blame him this time. Of Pennington's 31 pass attempts against Pittsburgh, 24 were to the wide receivers. Only 11 were completed and three were intercepted.

That's about as aggressive an approach as Hackett has ever brought to a game. To go anywhere in the playoffs, the Jets need more of those passes caught and turned into big plays. And some of that falls on a certain right arm that obviously isn't quite right.

Grant LaMont his wish

Memo to the Jets' coaching staff: We know Curtis Martin is a future Hall of Famer. But the Jets' offense isn't going to right itself without more intelligent use of his backup, LaMont Jordan.

Jordan was speaking for several teammates Monday when he ranted about the team's offensive ineptitude. He was speaking for untold numbers of Jets fans and observers when he again discussed his desire to get more carries.

Martin already has more rushing yards this season (1,377) than in each of the previous two. He's on pace for a career-high 1,695 yards, remarkable for a 31-year-old back in his 10th season.

But Jordan is one of only three Jets offensive players capable of breaking a big play (Justin McCareins and Santana Moss are the others). Failure to utilize Jordan simply because of Martin's credentials just isn't smart.

Contractually, the Jets have made a commitment to Martin that must last at least one more season, and perhaps two, to make sense from a salary-cap standpoint. But the coaching staff needs to become less stubborn about taking him out of games.

The Steelers sent a future Hall of Famer, Jerome Bettis, to the bench this season and replaced him in the starting lineup with Duce Staley.

On Sunday in Pittsburgh, we all saw how that has worked out.

Give Cotchery a chance

The Jets have yet to score a touchdown on a punt or kickoff return this season, something they accomplished in each of special-teams coach Mike Westhoff's first three seasons. Rookie Jerricho Cotchery, who has returned only one kickoff (against Cleveland), should get another shot. The Jets need a spark from someone, and Cotchery returned punts at N.C. State. Who knows? Maybe he could spark the offense as a receiver if he got a chance.

Small margin for error

There are too many what-ifs when it comes to playoff scenarios, but here's an intriguing one: It's possible that the Jets will play at St. Louis in Week 17 needing a victory to clinch a berth. If they split the next two games at home against Seattle and New England, there's no guarantee they'll be in. That's why Sunday's game against the Seahawks is so critical. "We play three potential playoff teams and we're right on the verge of trying to get into the playoffs," Chad Pennington said. "So this is a big challenge for me as a professional, a big challenge for me as a quarterback."

Abraham recovering slowly

Not only is John Abraham unable to play this week against Seattle, he won't begin running on his sprained left knee until next week at the earliest. That means the Jets had better be prepared to get through the rest of the regular season without their top pass rusher. Sports medicine people say the biggest problem with Abraham's injury - a sprained lateral collateral ligament - is that the ligament fibers on the outside of the knee take longer to heal than those in the back or the inside.

Avoiding internal strife

The Jets have given up more than 14 points only three times in the last 11 games, a testament to their stingy defense. But they've scored only 14.5 points per game in the past four. One would think the players and coaches on the defensive side would run out of patience with such ineptitude after a while. Not yet, according to defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson. "I'm trying to create an identity with this defense," Henderson said. For now, that identity includes not being concerned with the offense.

STATLINES

Running behind curve

With Curtis Martin on pace to rush for 1,600 yards, the Jets are in uncharted territory. No team since the 1992 Steelers has failed to score 300 points with a 1,600-yard rusher. There have been 15 1,600-yard rushers since then, and their teams have scored at least 400 points:

1992 Steelers Barry Foster 1,690 299 11-5

2004 Jets Curtis Martin 1,377 260 9-4

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

As good as Curtis it is time guys....Lamont is more of a homerun threat...Its plain and simple...Im not saying bench Curtis but they need to share time....Curtis is a finesse runner and gets 4-7 yards per but Lamont is a HOME RUN waiting to happen...

All League
    Originally posted by LockeJET@Dec 15 2004, 08:56 AM
    As good as Curtis it is time guys....Lamont is more of a homerun threat...Its plain and simple...Im not saying bench Curtis but they need to share time....Curtis is a finesse runner and gets 4-7 yards per but Lamont is a HOME RUN waiting to happen...
    exactly. but the problem is how do you keep him??? they already promised him more carries fromlast year,,,how can he believe them again?

All League
    Originally posted by Mean Bro Green@Dec 15 2004, 08:27 AM
    JETS CHALKTALK
    BY KEN BERGER
    STAFF WRITER

December 15, 2004

The Jets just lost a big game on the road, a game in which Chad Pennington played as poorly as he ever has as a Jet.

So it must be that time again - time to say Pennington can't win the big game.

It also must be time to say that whenever the Jets face a playoff-caliber team on the road, offensive coordinator Paul Hackett calls the game as though he left his playbook in the hotel bathroom.
    Wait wouldn't this be considered playing to Pennington's strength?

Hall Of Fame
    As I mentioned before the season began, Curtis needs to break more long runs resulting in touchdowns. This is about the ONLY criticism anyone could ever have for him. It seems as though our best chances of having a running back break one long IS with LJ.

Therefore, I too would like to see Lamont get a lot more carries. He has really come on strong. More than ever this season. It appeared as though he was the RB who was having the most success against the Steelers, yet Herm only gave him a measly 3 carries.

I think Herm will realize this and start giving Lamont more carries. Besides, we need to save Curtis for our playoff run, however short that may be.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Exactly when did PennyBoy ever HAVE a fastball to lose?

All League
    Originally posted by PatsFanTX@Dec 15 2004, 09:20 AM
    Exactly when did PennyBoy ever HAVE a fastball to lose?

All League
    Originally posted by Mainejet@Dec 15 2004, 09:20 AM
    As I mentioned before the season began, Curtis needs to break more long runs resulting in touchdowns. This is about the ONLY criticism anyone could ever have for him. It seems as though our best chances of having a running back break one long IS with LJ.

Therefore, I too would like to see Lamont get a lot more carries. He has really come on strong. More than ever this season. It appeared as though he was the RB who was having the most success against the Steelers, yet Herm only gave him a measly 3 carries.

I think Herm will realize this and start giving Lamont more carries. Besides, we need to save Curtis for our playoff run, however short that may be.
    Mainjet it's too late for that.

If Edwards would have kept his promise and spilt the time equally
    we would have a happier Jordan .

As it stands we might as well start having his fare well party to Dallas
    because my spider sense says that's where he is headed.

All Pro
    Great article Mean Bro. Thanks for posting it.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Originally posted by papichango@Dec 15 2004, 09:26 AM
    because my spider sense says that's where he is headed.

He is not going to Dallas, have you watched Julius Jones lately? He will be in Oakland or Miami, and maybe even Seatle.

All League
    Originally posted by boywonder28+Dec 15 2004, 09:30 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (boywonder28 @ Dec 15 2004, 09:30 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-papichango@Dec 15 2004, 09:26 AM
    because my spider sense says that&#39;s where he is headed.

He is not going to Dallas, have you watched Julius Jones lately? He will be in Oakland or Miami, and maybe even Seatle. [/b][/quote]
    Yeah I have.

He reminds me of Martin who Parcells loves.

Do you remember Parcells drafting Lamont Jordan even though he
    had martin?

Maybe he wanted to use Jordan against those big defensive teams like the
    Steelers when he was Jets coach.

Either way he may want to implement the same kind of plan in Dallas.

I mean what team would not want to have a Bull rushing back to compliment
    their slashing style feature back.

Ok so the Jets aren&#39;t one of those teams but whose counting.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by papichango+Dec 15 2004, 09:26 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (papichango &#064; Dec 15 2004, 09:26 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Mainejet@Dec 15 2004, 09:20 AM

Mainjet it&#39;s too late for that.

If Edwards would have kept his promise and spilt the time equally
    we would have a happier Jordan .

because my spider sense says that&#39;s where he is headed. [/b][/quote]
    well consider this, herm said he would get lamont the ball last year and here was the split:

2003 stats

Martin 323 for 1328

Jordan 46 for 190

2003 splits 85 to 15%

consider also into the factor that Lamont was injured and missed a few reps

2004 stats

Martin 306 for 1377

Jordan 69 for 366

2004 splits 78 to 22%

so statistically his stats have gone up big time especially considering that he bairly saw the field for the first month of the season so you cant say that Herm didnt finally back up what he said, this is easily Lamonts biggest year but still it may be too late and even still I would still prefer a 60/40 split

All League
    Wow &#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Thanks for those numbers Mean bro.

Now i really feel like going outside and hurting someone.

* where the hell are my med&#39;s*

All Pro
    Chad never has really had a fastball.

Abe is really fragile, and this is exactly why we need to franchise him for at least 1 year before we give him a long term deal. He needs to stay healthy. 3 out of 5 years injuried are not going to cut it in this league.

All League
    Originally posted by JetsFanInSec124@Dec 15 2004, 09:45 AM

Abe is really fragile, and this is exactly why we need to franchise him for at least 1 year before we give him a long term deal. He needs to stay healthy. 3 out of 5 years injuried are not going to cut it in this league.
    I think we should franchise him for 3 out of five years, and use the time
    to find a serious defensive end who doesn&#39;t get hurt so much.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by JetsFanInSec124@Dec 15 2004, 09:45 AM
    3 out of 5 years injuried are not going to cut it in this league.
    nor is 2 strikes in the drug program, even though its only alcohol

Undrafted Free Agent
    Originally posted by papichango+Dec 15 2004, 06:06 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (papichango @ Dec 15 2004, 06:06 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Mean Bro Green@Dec 15 2004, 08:27 AM
    JETS CHALKTALK
    BY KEN BERGER
    STAFF WRITER

December 15, 2004

So it must be that time again - time to say Pennington can&#39;t win the big game.

Wait wouldn&#39;t this be considered playing to Pennington&#39;s strength? [/b][/quote]
    Actually, the other way around is much better. Lock Hackett in the Hotel room and bring the playbook to the game.

The man is an offensive play genius. He just sucks as a play caller.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by spjets+Dec 15 2004, 09:02 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (spjets @ Dec 15 2004, 09:02 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-LockeJET@Dec 15 2004, 08:56 AM
    exactly. but the problem is how do you keep him??? they already promised him more carries fromlast year,,,how can he believe them again? [/b][/quote]
    what are you guys baseing all this on? the rare time in mop up duty where lamont breaks one for 30 yards? how come you never talk about the many times he cant get 2?

sorry i strongly disagree. curtis is solid as a rock and is always good for 1200. money in the bank. id rather that than the "potential" of lamont

this is pure nuts. here we have the most durable and reliable and consistent back in the league, a hall of famer and so many of you guys want to boot him for some unknown

All League
    Originally posted by dickkotite+Dec 15 2004, 11:26 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dickkotite @ Dec 15 2004, 11:26 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by spjets@Dec 15 2004, 09:02 AM
    <!--QuoteBegin-LockeJET
    @Dec 15 2004, 08:56 AM

exactly. but the problem is how do you keep him??? they already promised him more carries fromlast year,,,how can he believe them again?
    what are you guys baseing all this on? the rare time in mop up duty where lamont breaks one for 30 yards? how come you never talk about the many times he cant get 2?

sorry i strongly disagree. curtis is solid as a rock and is always good for 1200. money in the bank. id rather that than the "potential" of lamont

this is pure nuts. here we have the most durable and reliable and consistent back in the league, a hall of famer and so many of you guys want to boot him for some unknown [/b][/quote]
    Martin is the money back, but sometimes you need to keep your money in your wallet.

Did you see what happen on Sunday? late in the game.

They inserted Betties in for Mop up duty.

That Mop wiped the field with our faces.

Changing the pitcher in the game sometimes can confused the hitter.

We should have done the same .

All League
    Chad obviously isn&#39;t 100%.

Question is, do we go with an injured Chad or healthy Carter?

Chad&#39;s arm strength isn&#39;t great to begin with, and with an injured shoulder, he&#39;s become even less effective. We have 3 huge games remaining, two in the swirling winds of the Meadowlands, and one against a fast track field team in St. Louis.

Chad has the intangibles, but I think Carter should start.