View Poll Results: Who is the better corner ?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • David Barrett

48 72.73%
  • Antwoine Winfield

18 27.27%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barrett vs Winfield

All League
    Interesting story in today's Daily News about David Barrett. On Wednesday there was an evaluation done of the Minnesota Vikings on Sirius Radio's NFL Channel. One of the conclusions they arrived at was Winfield's inability to deliver the goods is a major reason for Minny's late season slide along with the Meathead's public musing about his place of employment next year.

To me it looks like the Jets got the better end of the deal.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football...8p-225008c.html

All Pro
    Unless you listen to the moron who thinks that Winfield is a shut down corner... When you factor in cost and Barrett's superb run support I think we got the better deal.

All League
    At this point i think it's unfair to judge a defensive player under a Ted Cotrell system. Personally i think if Marvin and Moe were still on the team under Donnie Henderson they would be playing alot better than they did last year.

Marvin and Moe...........who are they???? :lol:

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by persiussa@Dec 17 2004, 11:14 AM
    At this point i think it's unfair to judge a defensive player under a Ted Cotrell system. Personally i think if Marvin and Moe were still on the team under Donnie Henderson they would be playing alot better than they did last year.
    Come on....If that was the case they would be in the league this year...I dont care who the coach is Marvin and Mo were done...If it was the coach and all the needed was a better system than someone would ahve picked them up...

All League
    Originally posted by LockeJET+Dec 17 2004, 10:17 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LockeJET @ Dec 17 2004, 10:17 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-persiussa@Dec 17 2004, 11:14 AM
    At this point i think it&#39;s unfair to judge a defensive player under a Ted Cotrell system. Personally i think if Marvin and Moe were still on the team under Donnie Henderson they would be playing alot better than they did last year.
    Come on....If that was the case they would be in the league this year...I dont care who the coach is Marvin and Mo were done... [/b][/quote]
    All i&#39;m saying is that when you know exactly what you&#39;re supposed to do on the field and you can just fly to the ball, you can do it alot faster than the read and react. That would compensate for a little lack of speed. It seems like Ted just doesn&#39;t know how to explain to the players what he wants them to do. It was really a knock on ted cotrell rather than praise for moe and marvin.

Board Moderator
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by persiussa@Dec 17 2004, 11:14 AM
    At this point i think it&#39;s unfair to judge a defensive player under a Ted Cotrell system. Personally i think if Marvin and Moe were still on the team under Donnie Henderson they would be playing alot better than they did last year.
    i loved those guys, but they stayed at least a year too long. no way do they have the speed to play in this system, not as effectively as vilma/hobson/barton etc. if they could still do it in this system, they&#39;d be doing it for someone else now. if there&#39;s one thing the NFL loves, it&#39;s &#39;seasoned&#39; linebackers that can still play, if only a little...

Charter JI Member
    great poll...I said it last week, I think we made out much better with Barrett, he is going to be a great player for us for years.

Super*****/Prom Queen
    Barrett is one of TB&#39;s better choices this season. In Barrett&#39;s four seasons with the Arizona Cardinals he ran & shut down alot of wide receivers twice his size, but got little recognition.

Here are Barrett&#39;s stats:

Year Team GP GS Tackles Solo Sacks INT PD FF FR
    2000 ARZ 16 0 8 7 0 0 1 1 1
    2001 ARZ 16 9 71 50 0 2 9 2 0
    2002 ARZ 14 14 82 57 0 3 10 1 1
    2003 ARZ 16 16 89 70 0 1 9 1 0
    Totals 62 39 250 184 0 6 29 5 2

Special Teams Statistics
    Year Team Tackles FF FR
    2000 ARZ 5 0 0
    2001 ARZ 7 0 0
    2002 ARZ 1 0 0
    2003 ARZ 1 0 0
    Totals 14 0 0

All Pro
    Keep in mind that Barrett came a lot cheaper than Winfield would have. So, in addition to his superior play against the run and comparable performance versus the pass, we had money left over that helped us upgrade the o-line (Kendall) and our backup QB situation (Carter).

Just think: If some of the loudest folks around here got their way: We&#39;d have Winfield, and we wouldn&#39;t have Barrett, Kendall or Quincy. And we&#39;d have Gregg Williams or Gunther Cunningham and not Donnie Henderson.

(And I should note: I was in favor of the Winfield signing at the time.)

All League
    I liked Winfield last year, but I didnt think he deserved the price he was getting. Comparisons a year later, yes I like our pickup. I think he is a quality #2 CB. If we get another quality #2 or a soon shutdown corner in the making of a rookie, then our backfield will be formidable.

All League
    When Winfield jumped on that plane, I thought there was going to be another Heaven&#39;s Gate among the residents here. Of course, it seems that way everytime something seemingly doesn&#39;t go in the Jets favor.

Hall Of Fame
    Winfield can not hold BARRETT&#39;s jock&#33; Our guy is a real player against the run. Winfield is a clutch and duck run stopper. Our guy hits WRs hard , winfield doesn&#39;t&#33; winfield has not been as good a cover guy as originally stated and BARRETT is better then originally stated and cheaper too&#33;

Waterboy
    We appreciate all the love that David is finally getting from knowledgeable football fans (like those of you that post here). Not to be a name dropper or anything but, my younger sibling has been working hard to live up to the expectation of his coaches, teammates and the NYJ fans. And trust me when i say this...he is his own biggest critic&#33; - Jet#36 (aka David&#39;s big bro Sammie)

All League
    Heres my take . I ripped Barrett in the begininng of the year because he couldnt cover deep for anything which is true , the man was giving up deep passes like there were anything . But the past 6 weeks or so Hes really been our standout . The man has been shutting down plays and making key ints. I have really liked how he has overcome his first half performace.

All Pro
    In the beginning of the year it looked like Barrett couldn&#39;t cover a HS WR and Winfield was doing great. Now it definitley is showing that we got the better player. Barrett is younger, faster, a great run stuffer, which Winfield is not and he was less of a cost. Barrett may be Pro Bowl material next season if he keeps up what he&#39;s been doing for the past month this year.

Waterboy
    Barret no ? about it &#33;&#33; Hey Joisey what do u think now ?

Super*****/Prom Queen
    Originally posted by Jets#36@Dec 17 2004, 04:07 PM
    We appreciate all the love that David is finally getting from knowledgeable football fans (like those of you that post here). Not to be a name dropper or anything but, my younger sibling has been working hard to live up to the expectation of his coaches, teammates and the NYJ fans. And trust me when i say this...he is his own biggest critic&#33; - Jet#36 (aka David&#39;s big bro Sammie)
    How very sweet of you to come on Jetsinsider and give David his props. I also know David and he never mentioned a brother, only two sisters. With that being said yes, David does work hard and is a key player to the Jets defense, but I knew that the day he walked into OTA&#39;s. Any other insights you can share?

All Pro
    Originally posted by JetsFanInSec124@Dec 17 2004, 03:10 PM
    In the beginning of the year it looked like Barrett couldn&#39;t cover a HS WR and Winfield was doing great. Now it definitley is showing that we got the better player. Barrett is younger, faster, a great run stuffer, which Winfield is not and he was less of a cost. Barrett may be Pro Bowl material next season if he keeps up what he&#39;s been doing for the past month this year.
    Whoa, let&#39;s not get carried away. Barrett is definitely coming on as a solid all around corner and Winfield has been a disappointment, BUT, Winfield is definitely FASTER. Winfield is a legimtmate 4.3 guy. I would guess Barrett is in the 4.5 to 4.6 range.

Waterboy
    Originally posted by Limolady+Dec 17 2004, 02:17 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Limolady @ Dec 17 2004, 02:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Jets#36@Dec 17 2004, 04:07 PM
    How very sweet of you to come on Jetsinsider and give David his props. I also know David and he never mentioned a brother, only two sisters. With that being said yes, David does work hard and is a key player to the Jets defense, but I knew that the day he walked into OTA&#39;s. Any other insights you can share? [/b][/quote]
    David has two sisters on his mom&#39;s side, (he and I have the same father) <- all that is true...David and his sisters grew up away from us (Waterloo, Iowa), in Osceola Arkansas. I am the oldest son on our fathers side...we also share an older sister and a younger sister on our fathers side. I know all of this makes he and I half-brothers, yes, but brothers nevertheless