Thread: An Issue Not Discussed...

Veteran
    The offense has been picked apart and analyzed for everything it can't accomplish when facing a good team, except the offensive line and running game. In all the games the Jets lose it seems Martin is a complete non-factor and Pennington usually has no time to make his throws. This part of the offense is never blamed however. Sure, I would think Pennington could some time make enough plays by himself to win the game without a consistent running game, but all quarterbacks will struggle with no ground game. Perhaps Martin is not fast enough to rush against the great defenses, I do notice there is a little more success in those games when Jordan enters (who is a little faster). Pennington cannot win the game all by himself, he has to force throws then, and since he can't bullet his throws many of the forced throws result in interceptions. Pennington looks so much better against bad defenses because the running games is actually a factor. IMO the offensive line and backs need to step it up when the opponents get tougher.

Veteran
    Nobody thinks the running game only works against weak defenses...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Martin, and by extention our O-line, does not succeed against elite teams Defenses, or against big strong D-lines. We are a speed O-line with a slow, pick a path runner. That will work against most teams, but not the elite.

I would agree that Jordan should have played a much larger role against, for example, the Pats last weekend.

All Pro
    Originally posted by nyjet80@Dec 28 2004, 04:47 PM
    The offense has been picked apart and analyzed for everything it can't accomplish when facing a good team, except the offensive line and running game. In all the games the Jets lose it seems Martin is a complete non-factor and Pennington usually has no time to make his throws. This part of the offense is never blamed however. Sure, I would think Pennington could some time make enough plays by himself to win the game without a consistent running game, but all quarterbacks will struggle with no ground game. Perhaps Martin is not fast enough to rush against the great defenses, I do notice there is a little more success in those games when Jordan enters (who is a little faster). Pennington cannot win the game all by himself, he has to force throws then, and since he can't bullet his throws many of the forced throws result in interceptions. Pennington looks so much better against bad defenses because the running games is actually a factor. IMO the offensive line and backs need to step it up when the opponents get tougher.
    good assesment 80.

I think that especially in the PIT game, LJ deserved a look.

Veteran
    Charter JI Member

Excellent post nyjet80, agreed 100%

I also agree with Warfish that LaMont should be getting more carries against the stronger D-Lines.

All Pro
    Originally posted by Lady Jet@Dec 28 2004, 11:52 PM

I also agree with Warfish that LaMont should be getting more carries against the stronger D-Lines.
    Too bad Herman doesn't. :blink:

Damn u Edwards

All Pro
    Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria+Dec 28 2004, 11:53 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (The Gun Of Bavaria @ Dec 28 2004, 11:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Lady Jet@Dec 28 2004, 11:52 PM

Too bad Herman doesn&#39;t. :blink:

Damn u Edwards [/b][/quote]
    You play to keep close in the game&#33;

All Pro
    Originally posted by JetsFanInSec124+Dec 28 2004, 11:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JetsFanInSec124 @ Dec 28 2004, 11:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria@Dec 28 2004, 11:53 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin-Lady Jet
    @Dec 28 2004, 11:52 PM

Too bad Herman doesn&#39;t. :blink:

Damn u Edwards
    You play to keep close in the game&#33; [/b][/quote]
    Hello.

You play to not lose the game

You play to not lose the game

Rookie
    That&#39;s a good theory but far too simplistic. The running game and the passing game must compliment one another. If you can&#39;t beat a blitz passing, you can&#39;t run effectively. To beat a blitz passing, you have to be able to get the ball five to ten yards downfield, past the backers. If you do that consistently, the backers have to freeze before the line and can&#39;t stuff the running lanes. Bottom line: we can&#39;t pass over the middle, so we can&#39;t run on teams with good linebackers. The line foots some of the blame--but not all, or even most.

TomShane
    Originally posted by SirLanceMehlot@Dec 29 2004, 01:19 AM
    That&#39;s a good theory but far too simplistic. The running game and the passing game must compliment one another. If you can&#39;t beat a blitz passing, you can&#39;t run effectively. To beat a blitz passing, you have to be able to get the ball five to ten yards downfield, past the backers. If you do that consistently, the backers have to freeze before the line and can&#39;t stuff the running lanes. Bottom line: we can&#39;t pass over the middle, so we can&#39;t run on teams with good linebackers. The line foots some of the blame--but not all, or even most.
    If you have a disciplined safety and a halfway decent corner to run with Moss, then you can just put 8 in the box on the Jets and they&#39;re toast. Martin won&#39;t run, Hackett won&#39;t adjust, and there ya go.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

If you look at this years top yardage backs guess who has 25 yds as
    his longest run..Hell Lamont had a 40 yd run called back in the Pitt
    Game&#33;&#33; Of course he had his 3 carries for that Game so Hermie sat
    him..What Many can&#39;t understand is Martin would be even more
    effective if he shared carries with Jordan&#33; True it would take away
    form his stat building but being unpredictable on Offense with different
    looks is what it&#39;s about&#33; Martin left,right and up the middle fools no one&#33;
    And if Martin can beat Jim Brown even though it took him 700 more
    carries..Can I be considered to be Tiger Woods equal?? True I take
    35 more strokes to reach 18 holes,but I have longivity and have been
    playing longer then Tiger has been Breathing&#33;&#33; Plus I&#39;ve never been
    injured playing Golf unless you count the 19th Hole but that was a
    Hangover&#33;&#33;&#33; :lol: