Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worst transaction in Jets History?

wickedtwisted
    What do you all think is the worst transaction in Jets history? Coles and Keyshawn could be contenders but wanted to hear what you all had to say...

All Pro
    I think all draft picks should be barred from this discussion.

Worst transaction:

Not to bash the memory of a dead person, but the infamous Reggie White "If you sign him I will come' acquisition of QB Neil O'Donnell. White tells the Jets if they sign O'Donnell he'll come to NY. They do, he goes to GB and the rest is history

All Pro
    Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria@Dec 31 2004, 11:10 AM

Worst transaction:

Not to bash the memory of a dead person, but the infamous Reggie White "If you sign him I will come' acquisition of QB Neil O'Donnell. White tells the Jets if they sign O'Donnell he'll come to NY. They do, he goes to GB and the rest is history
    I believe White wanted Boomer or Favre to come here before he signed then the Jets traded for Boomer and Favre was traded to GB and White signed with GB.

All Pro
    Originally posted by rsherryjr+Dec 31 2004, 11:14 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rsherryjr @ Dec 31 2004, 11:14 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-The Gun Of Bavaria@Dec 31 2004, 11:10 AM

Worst transaction:

Not to bash the memory of a dead person, but the infamous Reggie White "If you sign him I will come&#39; acquisition of QB Neil O&#39;Donnell. White tells the Jets if they sign O&#39;Donnell he&#39;ll come to NY. They do, he goes to GB and the rest is history
    I believe White wanted Boomer or Favre to come here before he signed then the Jets traded for Boomer and Favre was traded to GB and White signed with GB. [/b][/quote]
    I had always heard it was O&#39;Donnell.

I never knew about the Favre/Boomer angle on that. Like I said, I don&#39;t want to bash the memory of a recently deceased man but that one always rubbed me the wrong way.

All Pro
    I gotta sat that the worst transaction wassigning Niel O&#39;Donnell.

Banned
    Parcells trading Hugh Douglas for a second round pick ... which he used to select Dorian Boose

All League
    Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria+Dec 31 2004, 11:15 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (The Gun Of Bavaria @ Dec 31 2004, 11:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by rsherryjr@Dec 31 2004, 11:14 AM
    <!--QuoteBegin-The Gun Of Bavaria
    @Dec 31 2004, 11:10 AM

Worst transaction:

Not to bash the memory of a dead person, but the infamous Reggie White "If you sign him I will come&#39; acquisition of QB Neil O&#39;Donnell. White tells the Jets if they sign O&#39;Donnell he&#39;ll come to NY. They do, he goes to GB and the rest is history

I believe White wanted Boomer or Favre to come here before he signed then the Jets traded for Boomer and Favre was traded to GB and White signed with GB.

I never knew about the Favre/Boomer angle on that. Like I said, I don&#39;t want to bash the memory of a recently deceased man but that one always rubbed me the wrong way. [/b][/quote]
    The Jets signed O&#39;Donnell in the offseason of &#39;96 and White was a FA in the offseason of &#39;93.

All Pro
    I remember because it was Ron Wolf who loved Favre in the draft. He got all guys that were the Jets 2nd choices but he wanted when he was here (Holmgren, Favre, and others) and added White and GB won the Super Bowl. Typical Jets story.

All Pro
    Originally posted by wickedtwisted@Dec 31 2004, 11:08 AM
    What do you all think is the worst transaction in Jets history? Coles and Keyshawn could be contenders but wanted to hear what you all had to say...
    Keyshawn was probably one of the best transactions when you consider what he has done since and what we got. As far as Coles goes he has been nursing a toe injury since he left and while I think our O would have been better with him than it has been the price was still way to high.

Hiring Kotie or Hackett would have to be the worst transactions in my book.

All Pro
    Letting Aaron Glenn go to Houston in the expansion draft.

All Pro
    Originally posted by JetsFanInSec124@Dec 31 2004, 11:22 AM
    Had to be done for cap reasons. It was sad but fiscally it made a lot of sense and gave the team a chance to contend.

All League
    Originally posted by rsherryjr@Dec 31 2004, 11:21 AM
    I remember because it was Ron Wolf who loved Favre in the draft. He got all guys that were the Jets 2nd choices but he wanted when he was here (Holmgren, Favre, and others) and added White and GB won the Super Bowl. Typical Jets story.
    Those were the Jets 1st choices but Holmgren said no and favre was taken by Atl 1 pick before Browning Nagle.

wickedtwisted
    Wow I did forget about that one. I can&#39;t believe we had to get rid of him. I would have liked him to have retired a Jet.

All Pro
    Originally posted by nyjunc+Dec 31 2004, 11:26 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (nyjunc @ Dec 31 2004, 11:26 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-rsherryjr@Dec 31 2004, 11:21 AM
    Those were the Jets 1st choices but Holmgren said no and favre was taken by Atl 1 pick before Browning Nagle. [/b][/quote]
    I thought Holmgren was Jets 2nd choice.

I also think the Jets could have traded up to get favre. I forget with who but could have.

All Pro
    Originally posted by Trades+Dec 31 2004, 11:25 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Trades @ Dec 31 2004, 11:25 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JetsFanInSec124@Dec 31 2004, 11:22 AM
    Had to be done for cap reasons. It was sad but fiscally it made a lot of sense and gave the team a chance to contend. [/b][/quote]
    Yeah, I know all the cap reason BS story, but there could have been other ways we could&#39;ve cleared the cap.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria+Dec 31 2004, 11:15 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (The Gun Of Bavaria @ Dec 31 2004, 11:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>

Worst transaction:

I never knew about the Favre/Boomer angle on that. Like I said, I don&#39;t want to bash the memory of a recently deceased man but that one always rubbed me the wrong way. [/b][/quote]
    It was definitely Bummer...white went on his infamous FA tour that year....Art Modell gave White&#39;s wife a mink coat and it was getting ridiculous. White made his comments to the press after meeting with Dick Stienberg and Leon Hess saying, "the Jets would be more attractive if they had a quarterback like Bummer Esiason here"....a week later bummer stole O&#39;Brien&#39;s job.

The worst, hands down, was bringing Kotite in to run the show as he was terrible in every facet....in the end it was probably a good thin though as Hess finally had enough.

As far as draft picks.....taking Ron Ferocious Faurot with the 15th pick in 1894.

All Pro
    That move freed up a lot of cap room. While it was unfortunate, it was probably a good move for the long term.

O&#39;Donnell certainly has to be up there as does Rick Mirer (nor for what we gave up but b/c he was so bad. Matthew Hachette was an awful signing.

All Pro
    Originally posted by JetsFanInSec124+Dec 31 2004, 11:28 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JetsFanInSec124 @ Dec 31 2004, 11:28 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Trades@Dec 31 2004, 11:25 AM
    <!--QuoteBegin-JetsFanInSec124
    @Dec 31 2004, 11:22 AM

Had to be done for cap reasons. It was sad but fiscally it made a lot of sense and gave the team a chance to contend.
    Yeah, I know all the cap reason BS story, but there could have been other ways we could&#39;ve cleared the cap. [/b][/quote]
    Herm said he wasn&#39;t good enough in run support.

All Pro
    Originally posted by rsherryjr+Dec 31 2004, 11:29 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rsherryjr @ Dec 31 2004, 11:29 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by JetsFanInSec124@Dec 31 2004, 11:28 AM
    Originally posted by Trades@Dec 31 2004, 11:25 AM
    <!--QuoteBegin-JetsFanInSec124
    @Dec 31 2004, 11:22 AM

Yeah, I know all the cap reason BS story, but there could have been other ways we could&#39;ve cleared the cap.
    Herm said he wasn&#39;t good enough in run support. [/b][/quote]
    We could never stop the run until this year anyway. :blink:

All Pro
    Originally posted by Come Back to NY+Dec 31 2004, 11:28 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Come Back to NY @ Dec 31 2004, 11:28 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria@Dec 31 2004, 11:15 AM

Worst transaction:

I never knew about the Favre/Boomer angle on that. Like I said, I don&#39;t want to bash the memory of a recently deceased man but that one always rubbed me the wrong way.
    It was definitely Bummer...white went on his infamous FA tour that year....Art Modell gave White&#39;s wife a mink coat and it was getting ridiculous. White made his comments to the press after meeting with Dick Stienberg and Leon Hess saying, "the Jets would be more attractive if they had a quarterback like Bummer Esiason here"....a week later bummer stole O&#39;Brien&#39;s job.

The worst, hands down, was bringing Kotite in to run the show as he was terrible in every facet....in the end it was probably a good thin though as Hess finally had enough.

As far as draft picks.....taking Ron Ferocious Faurot with the 15th pick in 1894. [/b][/quote]
    Why was White so gung ho about leaving Philly? They had qute a defense in those days.