View Poll Results: The 2004 Jets are...

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • An overachieving team that benefitted from a weak schedule.

6 18.75%
  • An underachieving team hampered by questionable coaching.

22 68.75%
  • A team that met its full potential.

4 12.50%

Thread: What are the 2004 Jets?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I personally think they're behind door number 2, Monte.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

boomp

All League
    door #2

i'd be curious to see what we could do if we got chad a QB coach and got rid of Hackett. I bet the results would be different. Look what Donnie and some fresh meat has done for our D.

Veteran
    I also think it&#39;s door #2........ <_<

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by chrebet73@Jan 3 2005, 11:33 AM
    I also think it&#39;s door #2........ <_<
    Herm&#39;s clock management and questionable 2-point conversion calls...Hackett&#39;s inability to deviate from his gameplan when the situation calls for it, and his tendency to revert to conservative form when he needs to open it up...I absolutely believe this team has the talent to be better than this coaching staff allowed it to be.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Door number 2. I am still witholding my rants for the offesason. I will post my opinions when the season is over for 48 hours.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by greengal@Jan 3 2005, 11:23 AM
    door #2

i&#39;d be curious to see what we could do if we got chad a QB coach and got rid of Hackett. I bet the results would be different. Look what Donnie and some fresh meat has done for our D.
    I&#39;ll take "Right on the Money" for &#036;500, Alex. B)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I&#39;m curious for comments from anyone who selected #1...you honestly think this team overachieved at 10 and 6? You really believe they left nothing in the tank?

Practice Squad
    door number 2.

Hall Of Fame
    I think they are right where they should be, door #3. I think the notion that the Jets have all of this talent that is being under-utilized is pure homerism, and comes from an understandable, yet emotional tendency among fans to over-rate the home-team players.

I don&#39;t think Herm is all that great, and yeah, maybe Hackett has to go. But the Jets just aren&#39;t that talented, that&#39;s the bottom line. I don&#39;t think they are a 13-3 team that is being poorly coached. I think they are right around where they should be - beating the bad teams and losing to th good teams.

Chad isn&#39;t that good. This painful, unfortunate truism has now seemd to dawn on all but the most irrationanal homers. Moss and McCareins aren&#39;t that good. Erik Coleman, McGraw, Tongue and our corners aren&#39;t that good. Our DLine is good, but not the group of studs we all think they are...not yet, at least/ I have high hopes for this unit, though. Same with LBs. Our LBs are good and should get better. The D is probably a year and a few players away frm being REALLY good. Our offense is farther away from where it should be.

For all of the Herm and Hackett-bashing going on...shouldn&#39;t we acknowledge that perhaps our Defensive coaches have caused that unit to over-achieve?? Not saying they have, just saying it&#39;s possible.

I just don&#39;t think the Jets are that good. I am stunned that they went 10-6...if Ricky doesn&#39;t retire, they are probaly not in the playoffs, IMO. I thought they had 8-8, 9-7 talent...with no Ricky, 10-6 makes sense I guess.

Waterboy
    Originally posted by shakin318@Jan 3 2005, 12:41 PM
    I&#39;m curious for comments from anyone who selected #1...you honestly think this team overachieved at 10 and 6? You really believe they left nothing in the tank?
    I nvoted door #1. I feel our D is great, and is going to be phenominal over time. I also feel our WR&#39;s and OL are very capable, and our RB&#39;s are among the best in the league. While I do feel our coaching leaves alot to be desired, I persobnally think our most glaring weakspot this year was at QB. I think we are lucky for the fact we won 10 games, especially when you consider that we caught SD before they really gelled into what they are now.

Super*****/Prom Queen
    Originally posted by shakin318@Jan 3 2005, 01:41 PM
    Well we totally sucked last year at 6-10. We did get rid of alot of dead weight like Jones, Lewis, Testaverte, Garnes, Ted Cotrell and a few of his D coaching staff. Bradway had an awesome draft with picks like Vilma, Coleman, Cotchery, Jones & Cavka. And let&#39;s not forget about my main man Woody Johnson who wants to build us a stadium of our own too.

So with all things considered, I say yes, we over achieved this year and we&#39;re in the playoffs again.

All League
    We weren&#39;t good enough to match up with elite teams, and we dropped the ball in tight games.

I think we played as good as this team was.

Everyone wants to point a finger, but we have alot of holes.
    #1 WR, efficient QBing, TE, OT, DE, CBs, Ss, Hackett

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Their an underachieving team hampered by bad coaching who benefitted from a weak schedule.