Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Mawae on the John Abraham Situation

Hall Of Fame
    Dan Dierdoff was on ESPN Radio with Buttle and Legraka* a few minutes ago and said he spoke with Kevin Mawae this afternoon and asked him about the John Abraham situation and Mawae said:

"Nobody on this team has lost any respect for John. We know if he could that he would be out here with us. The guy is hurt. He's in pain. You can see the way he's moving in practice. There is just no way he can play in his situation."

Now I have never once spoke out on the Abraham issue. I personally never bought in to the "he's just being a wuss" theory. I assumed he was just too hurt to play. I trust that a guy like Kevin would call him out if he thought he was able to play and was just dogging it. If Kevin didn't speak out against him, but supported him and backed him up ... ... that's good enough for me.

I hope to see #94 lining up opposite #92 next year and for years to come!!!!!

TomShane
    You want respect? Put the f*cking pads on, John.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by TomShane@Jan 14 2005, 07:30 PM
    You want respect? Put the f*cking pads on, John.
    actually she should take her freakin PAD off!!!!!!!!!&# 33;!!!!!

Lot of tough guys on this board.

The sad thing about it is that some of the players actually read what's being written on here. Doesn't reflect well on the fans at all. Mawae is as tough as they come, knows John personally, RESPECTS the fact that he can't play, but somehow... he is still wrong and Abe's still a "wuss". Come on, people.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by choo-the-J-E-T@Jan 14 2005, 10:21 PM

The sad thing about it is that some of the players actually read what's being written on here. Doesn't reflect well on the fans at all. Mawae is as tough as they come, knows John personally, RESPECTS the fact that he can't play, but somehow... he is still wrong and Abe's still a "wuss". Come on, people.
    yeah I fully expect a REAL TEAM LEADER to come out and publicly rip Abe and cause a major distraction when we never needed to be more focused, what-ev-er

Well, in my experience following the Jets, Mawae is as frank as they come... I don't think he's a standard PR guy. He comes out and tells it like it is--as far as I can tell.

In my opinion, he is reclarifying the situation thanks to gross overreaction (and unfair treatment) from Jets fans.

All Pro
    well, even if so, he still gets inj. too much

TomShane
    Originally posted by choo-the-J-E-T@Jan 14 2005, 10:31 PM
    Well, in my experience following the Jets, Mawae is as frank as they come... I don't think he's a standard PR guy. He comes out and tells it like it is--as far as I can tell.

In my opinion, he is reclarifying the situation thanks to gross overreaction (and unfair treatment) from Jets fans.
    John Abraham is the most injured athlete to ever be listed as questionable.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by choo-the-J-E-T@Jan 14 2005, 10:31 PM

seriously, all due respect to Kevin, but he is doing what a leader is supposed to do

try to refocus away from teh negative and avoid distractions for the team and handle the team business in the team locker room

All League
    Originally posted by Mean Bro Green+Jan 14 2005, 09:23 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mean Bro Green @ Jan 14 2005, 09:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-choo-the-J-E-T@Jan 14 2005, 10:21 PM

The sad thing about it is that some of the players actually read what&#39;s being written on here. Doesn&#39;t reflect well on the fans at all. Mawae is as tough as they come, knows John personally, RESPECTS the fact that he can&#39;t play, but somehow... he is still wrong and Abe&#39;s still a "wuss". Come on, people.
    yeah I fully expect a REAL TEAM LEADER to come out and publicly rip Abe and cause a major distraction when we never needed to be more focused, what-ev-er [/b][/quote]
    I was going to type this exact thing the other night when ppl were asking why Henderson said nothing about it either.

Minimize controversy going into a big game. Stay focused. Dont get distracted over this sideshow.

I feel that it&#39;s all right to criticize Abraham on his durability, he&#39;s accountable for that. However, over the past week, Jet fans everywhere have been attacking his heart, drive and team spirit (based on assumption, I might add) and I just don&#39;t think it is necessary.

The team knows the situation a heck of a lot more than we do, and until we can say otherwise, Abraham deserves the benefit of the doubt. Right or wrong, it&#39;s still the classy thing to do.

Just my 2 cents.

TomShane
    Originally posted by choo-the-J-E-T@Jan 14 2005, 10:42 PM
    I feel that it&#39;s all right to criticize Abraham on his durability, he&#39;s accountable for that. However, over the past week, Jet fans everywhere have been attacking his heart, drive and team spirit (based on assumption, I might add) and I just don&#39;t think it is necessary.

Yeah, well that, and the fact that he said he&#39;d be playing if it weren&#39;t for his "future," translated as "my next contract."

Keep your two cents.

Agree to disagree then. Future in his context could mean long-term health, a view supported by Herm, GM Terry Bradway and from the look of it, All-pro Center Kevin Mawae. It is an assumption on the fans&#39; part, nothing more.

It seems that people really want to believe in football conspiracies and "Any Given Sunday" type scenarios. Real football seems a lot more drab and they want to add some drama about selfish players and whatnot.

And TomShane, you&#39;re entitled to your opinion, but you&#39;re not entitled to act holier-than-thou and act like you&#39;re speaking for all Jets fans on a public forum. Don&#39;t think you&#39;ll discourage others from their opinion by adding a seemingly "witty", albeit cliched one-liner retort. It&#39;s pretty sad... and lazy, to boot.

Rookie
    My 2 cents, (for what it&#39;s worth). Abe gets hurt every year, we all know this. We also know that when he&#39;s healthy he is a true stud. This year he was healthier than he has been in quite awhile and it was obvious to all of us. Who can deny that when he is on the field he is leaving it all out there. Last year it seemed to me that all he did was bullrush and most of the time he was pushed past the pocket, but man did he bullrush his a__ off.

This year we have a shot of (dare I say it) going to the show. I, for one, cannot even comprehend where ANYONE would get the idea that this guy has no heart. There is no doubt in my mind that if this guy could play he would. He gets hurt a lot...it sucks but there it is.

Here&#39;s a side that I couldn,t get in. When guys go full out all the time they have a tendency to get hurt more than guys who play within themselves. Some get hurt more than others but I think that theory holds true for all. A prime example is Santana Moss. When he came into the league he was balls to the wall all the time. The result was that he was sidelined with his hammys all the time. It&#39;s obvious that he has toned his game down and as a result he is on the field a lot more.

I don&#39;t question John&#39;s heart...I think he&#39;s hurt.

TomShane
    Originally posted by choo-the-J-E-T@Jan 14 2005, 11:15 PM
    Agree to disagree then. Future in his context could mean long-term health, a view supported by Herm, GM Terry Bradway and from the look of it, All-pro Center Kevin Mawae. It is an assumption on the fans&#39; part, nothing more.

It seems that people really want to believe in football conspiracies and "Any Given Sunday" type scenarios. Real football seems a lot more drab and they want to add some drama about selfish players and whatnot.

And TomShane, you&#39;re entitled to your opinion, but you&#39;re not entitled to act holier-than-thou and act like you&#39;re speaking for all Jets fans on a public forum. Don&#39;t think you&#39;ll discourage others from their opinion by adding a seemingly "witty", albeit cliched one-liner retort. It&#39;s pretty sad... and lazy, to boot.
    :lol:

I would never try to discourage anyone from expressing their opinion. But as to me acting holier-than-thou, you dopey hypocrite, it was YOU coming in here and calling people "tough guys" for holding the opinion that we, as well as the entire body of the national news media, have jumped to conclusions on Abe, despite the fact that he has received medical clearance, and has openly SAID that he&#39;s more concerned about his future, which just happens to be as a UFA, than playing for the Jets in the playoffs.

To boot, jackass, his own head coach keeps him listed as questionable, despite telling the world he&#39;s not going to play, a subtle message perhaps? His own teammate, Santana Moss, comes on TV and says that he respects the fact that John is looking out for his own interests and not risking his future health for the team. A physician who posts on here went into great detail about how the LCL injury is one that isn&#39;t susceptible to further damage by playing--it&#39;s either torn or it&#39;s not--and that Abe can just wear a brace regardless.

So excuse me for being a TAD skeptical about John Abraham&#39;s willingness to tough it out for the team. I guess in John Abraham&#39;s "future" when he signs his huge contract he&#39;ll be proven correct and we&#39;l all look like morons for jumping to conclusions in this instance.

But just let me ask you this, if John Abraham has a 5-year deal in his back pocket from the Jets right now, is he on the field Saturday? If you answer &#39;no&#39; you&#39;re positively delusional.

Hall Of Fame
    My question is that if he is healthy enough to practice, he&#39;s healthy enough to play. Mawae said he looked in pain at practice, either sit his rump down if he is injured or have him practice and play with the pain. This is not some exhibition game, it&#39;s as big as they get.

the abe situation is just that hes injured, so he cant play

id rather have a 100% bryan thomas out there than a 70% Abe

this is ridiculous...it would be like if the Philly fans started calling out Owens cuz he cant play

Abe can&#39;t play, hes injured. Period.

All League
    There isn&#39;t a substance abuse angle.

The Jets don&#39;t test him - the NFL does. The entire NFL program is a 3rd party testing program that especially for repeat offenders is strictly monitored. A guy shows up at Hofstra or Abraham&#39;s house and has him piss in a beaker while he watches.

And think about how a violation might affect his contract-it would make him less attractive if he&#39;s facing a suspension, and therefore make it cheaper for the Jets or any team to sign him. If the Jets were running theri own testing(which would be in violation of the CBA), knew he was dirty and held it from the NFL or finagled the NFL test, they&#39;d get fined too.

All League
    OK....for all the Abe supporters....answer this....

If this week was the SuperBowl, and not the game before the AFC Championship game...

Would he play?

My bet is he&#39;d strap it on and dress.

Just listened to Terry Bradway on "This week in Football" on the YES net and he basically stated that Abe is guilty of not thinking before he spoke but is DEFINITLY hurt....................

He has done EVERYTHING to get back on the field but just cant go.