Thread: Here is how I would handle the PH situation

Hall Of Fame
    I am sorry to go against the general consensus of this forum, but I see things a little differently when it comes to Paul Hackett.

First of all, last nights loss really hurts, it really stings, and it will DEFINITELY take a very long time to get over this. It may even take years for me.

However, all the emotion aside, I need to give some credit to either Hackett or Herm. I thought that many of the plays that they used in the playoffs were actually QUITE CREATIVE. San Diego and Pittsburgh definitely weren't expecting the plays we ran against them through the air. The Jets coaches definitely turned it up a notch in the playoffs.

Now before you proceed to rip me a new ass, just listen to what I have to say.

I DO NOT CONDONE the stupid conservative playcalling at the end of regulation. As much as they had seen Schottenheimer fail trying the same thing, they DIDN'T learn anything. That is what annoys me the most. During the playoffs you cannot go into a conservative shell when you get inside the 25 yard line. I think it is more like the 15 yard line.

Apparently this theory is keeping with the facts as well. Last week, San Diego's kicker missed from about 40. We came back and won the game because they got to about the 14 yard line. This week, we missed TWICE from 47 and 43. Then the Steelers came back and stuck the knife in us because THEY went inside the 15 yard line. Obviously that difference of about 15 yards looms VERY large in playoff games. Larger than normal. Kickers get nerved up in playoff games. A 43 yard kick is a pretty makeable kick during the regular season, during the playoffs it seems to get nearly impossible. My point is this, if we had gotten the ball to about the 10 to 15 yard line, we would have won the game. What I see is a HUGE jump in confidence when you attempt one from 27 as opposed to 43. This difference is also multiplied when you are in the playoffs.

I just thought the plays selected for most of the game were aggressive and creative. Giving credit where credit is due, I must say Hackett has a very creative mind for DESIGNING plays.

So I think this is the way we should handle the Hackett situation......

DEMOTE Hackett to offensive assistant and hire someone else to call plays or have Herm take over that responsibility. If hackett does not want to accept the demotion, then FIRE him. I just think the guy could come in quite handy when it comes to DESIGNING plays. I think it may actually be VERY hard to find someone who can be as creative as Hackett is..........

Hall Of Fame
    The Jets coaches definitely turned it up a notch in the playoffs.
    When you were as bad as he was all year long; it&#39;s not hard to turn it up a notch. Taking his head out of his ass would have been an improvement in itself. <_<

All League
    3 points last night? UNACCEPTABLE. That game was theirs for the taking all 4th quarter, and they couldn&#39;t must up a 6-minute TD drive.

If for no other reason that the Jets need a fresh set of eyes to look over this whole offense, HACKETT HAS TO GO. And no OC with an ounce of self-respect is gonna come in with this a-hole still running around.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by InChadWeTrust10@Jan 16 2005, 11:51 AM
    The Jets coaches definitely turned it up a notch in the playoffs.
    When you were as bad as he was all year long; it&#39;s not hard to turn it up a notch. Taking his head out of his ass would have been an improvement in itself. <_<
    I totally agree. But some credit needs to be given to someone for finally waking up and smelling the coffee. I find it hard to believe that Hackett had anything to do with those aggressive plays. For this reason, I figure it must have been Herm.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by Bugg@Jan 16 2005, 12:00 PM
    3 points last night? UNACCEPTABLE. That game was theirs for the taking all 4th quarter, and they couldn&#39;t must up a 6-minute TD drive.

If for no other reason that the Jets need a fresh set of eyes to look over this whole offense, HACKETT HAS TO GO. And no OC with an ounce of self-respect is gonna come in with this a-hole still running around.
    You may me right, I don&#39;t know. I just really liked the slants and screens they ran during the playoffs. NOBODY saw those coming. They were our bread and butter of these last two games.

I&#39;m not arguing with you, but I think the 3 points by the offense is a little misleading. Before each one of those bad kicks we were moving the ball. Hackett just got really conservative at the end of the game. We could very well have scored touchdowns on any one of those posessions.

All League
    Kept thinking as they obviously played for FGs at the end of Madden screaming at Schottenheimer to call a play action pass to the end zone as the Chargers made the same mistake last week. And how that obvious call was apparently totally lost on the Jets&#39; CS lat night TWICEa, fter seeing Schottenheimer make the same mistake. Which again goes to their myopia. A FRESH SET OF EYES. They have to have someone who know what he&#39;s doing come in here and put it back together.

Go back to 2002-Pennington was fluid and savvy. Now, it seems like he&#39;s thinking, you can almost see the gear spinning. And he&#39;s a worse QB. It&#39;s like he&#39;s worried about running Hackett&#39;s offense rather than scoring.

TomShane
    You can&#39;t do it MaineJet. No OC worth anything is going to want to come here and call Hackett&#39;s plays. This myth that Hackett designs great plays is just that, a myth. Jet receivers are blanketed because they&#39;re all running 8-yard patterns, with one guy going downfield. That&#39;s high school stuff. Show me where during this season that one of Hackett&#39;s brilliantly designed plays fooled a defense. Just one play.

You have to get Hackett far, far away from this team, and quick. There&#39;s a ton of competition right now for OC&#39;s so the Jets have to get on the horse quick.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by TomShane@Jan 16 2005, 12:27 PM
    You can&#39;t do it MaineJet. No OC worth anything is going to want to come here and call Hackett&#39;s plays. This myth that Hackett designs great plays is just that, a myth. Jet receivers are blanketed because they&#39;re all running 8-yard patterns, with one guy going downfield. That&#39;s high school stuff. Show me where during this season that one of Hackett&#39;s brilliantly designed plays fooled a defense. Just one play.

You have to get Hackett far, far away from this team, and quick. There&#39;s a ton of competition right now for OC&#39;s so the Jets have to get on the horse quick.
    you should have asked for a few plays because I could give you one real easy, and I&#39;m not defending him at all but as soon as I read this it popped up....

direct snap to lamont and fake handoff to curtis where lamont ran for 30 yards, sorry Tommy

All Pro
    You people either don`t get it,or don`t care to get it.When it`s the 4th quarter,and you`re in position to win the game with a FG,you run the ball.The same goes for Overtime.If you run the ball,and you`re successfull like the Steelers were last night or the Jets were last week,it looks great(you Know,like you`re getting as close as possible).When you play against strong defenses like the Jets and the Steelers,you`re not getting that closer unless those defenses are dead tired.Last night,we were dead tired,and the Steelers got closer.

What you don`t do,is throw the ball unless it`s towards the back of the endzone because you don`t want to stop the clock or risk a turnover.It`s what you do,that`s why you see it so much.It`s what the Patriots did when Viniteri kicked that 47 yard FG in the snow.It`s what they all do.You secure the chance at a win,by Minimizing the chances of turning the ball over.Who was it that said when the ball is in the air 3 things can happen,and 2 are bad.

Bottom Line.Doug Brien Frilled up.Plain and simple.Just Like Nate Keeding did last week,just like Scott Norwood did all those years ago.Just Like Adam Viniteri didn`t,and that`s why they are the Champs.

THEY THE NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS,MAKE THE PLAYS.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    i agree 100% with this post the only question is would Hackett take the demotion?

the JETS need a QB coach as well - maybe they make him the play designer/QB coach but have someone else actually calling the plays.

the upside to this is that the JETS don&#39;t have to learn an entirely new system - the plays aren&#39;t bad in design they are bad when they are called. The draw has become a joke it&#39;s so predictable.

the downside is that Hackett might not accept a demotion.

All League
    It&#39;s freezing.

No one has ever made a kick in Heinz Field of more than 47 yards.

The field is chewed up.

You&#39;re on the road.

Doug Brien IS NOT Jan Stenerud.He&#39;s at best a 35-40 yard max, even indoors. Heck, the he had trouble kicking a PAT last week.

It&#39;s a stupid low-percentage play. And the Jets saw up close Schottenheimer make the same dumb mistake, and blissfully did the same stupid thing twice.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by TomShane@Jan 16 2005, 12:27 PM

Well maybe I should have mentioned that if the "CO-PLAN" did not float with some other offensive minds in the world, then they should fire Hackett. I think you may have a point about that. Now that I think about that, I can see that playing out.

I don&#39;t agree with you as far as Hackett NOT designing great plays. The slants and screens we started running in the playoffs caught SD and Pittsburgh off guard, especially the screens. They were pretty effective and gained some good chunks of yardage.

Now you can choose to go one of two ways as for the reason he was suddenly effective. You could say it was because he NEVER ran these plays during the regular season, so it is understandable these plays would catch teams off guard in the playoffs. They just NEVER saw the Jets run these plays when studying tape on them.

You could also say it was because Paul Hackett is just hopelessly conservative. Herm booted him in the ass before the playoffs and got him to start to open up the playbook. I choose to believe this.

This is why I think a CO-coordinator might work .......

All Pro
    Originally posted by Bugg@Jan 16 2005, 12:44 PM
    It&#39;s freezing.

No one has ever made a kick in Heinz Field of more than 47 yards.

The field is chewed up.

You&#39;re on the road.

Doug Brien IS NOT Jan Stenerud.He&#39;s at best a 35-40 yard max, even indoors. Heck, the he had trouble kicking a PAT last week.

It&#39;s a stupid low-percentage play. And the Jets saw up close Schottenheimer make the same dumb mistake, and blissfully did the same stupid thing twice.
    It was freezing In NE.Heck,it was snowing,and visibility had to be bad.One guy made the kick in worst conditions,and the other guy didn`t.Have you ever notice the field the Patriots play on when it rains or snows.

The guy choked,and should be choked to death.

All League
    I still don&#39;t see how you trust your whole season to a bad kicker in lousy conditions at that distance. He&#39;s NOT ADAM VINATERI. Look, I&#39;m not defending him. But it shouldn&#39;t have ever gotten to that. They needed a TD scoring drive, and instead they played for a low-percentage field goal twice after winning a game last week when the Cahrgers did the same dumb thing. And again, I couldn&#39;t get Madden out of my head screaming that Schottenhiemer had the Jets all set up for a play action pass to the end zone when they did that same frickin&#39; thing last night.

All Pro
    MaineJet I would have accepted your plan for this year but as far as next year Herm MUST be on the hot seat period cause the HC is responsible for his team not the assisstance and I support Hem.

Banned
    Here&#39;s how I would deal with Paul Hackett

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by bitonti@Jan 16 2005, 12:42 PM
    i agree 100% with this post the only question is would Hackett take the demotion?

the JETS need a QB coach as well - maybe they make him the play designer/QB coach but have someone else actually calling the plays.

the upside to this is that the JETS don&#39;t have to learn an entirely new system - the plays aren&#39;t bad in design they are bad when they are called. The draw has become a joke it&#39;s so predictable.

the downside is that Hackett might not accept a demotion.
    Well if he doesn&#39;t take the demotion, he gets fired. PURE AND SIMPLE......I would think that Herm shouldn&#39;t be in a negotiating mood when dealing with him. After all, a lot of our problems over these last two years have started and ended with Paul Hackett