Thread: Shawne Merriman

Practice Squad
    Assuming we lose John Abraham, unfortunate but possible, we would have 2 first round picks.

With the first, we could get the elite corner that we all know we need, maybe Antrel Rolle, Adam 'Pac Man' Jones, or Justin Miller.

With our pick, i guess around 26 or so, I think we should take Shawne Merriman.

Since the only way this could happen is i we lose Abraham, we'd still need a DE, and Merriman could fill that need. Also, since Donnie Henderson likes to move from a 4-3 to a 3-4 during parts of a game, he could easily move back into the LB position.

Then in the next few rounds we could address safety and kicker and what not.

Whatdya think?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    something to consider - Merriman might not be there - Kiper has him as the second rated OLB and Nfldraftcountdown has him going to the Cowboys at 11

Waterboy
    Have you not seen Bryan Thomas during Abe's vacation? He may not be a stellar pass rusher, but he gets the job done and then some. No need to draft a DE in the first round. Get a CB and an OT/G.

All League
    Originally posted by Boozer76@Jan 17 2005, 05:11 PM
    Have you not seen Bryan Thomas during Abe's vacation? He may not be a stellar pass rusher, but he gets the job done and then some. No need to draft a DE in the first round. Get a CB and an OT/G.
    Why, cause Thomas is a good run stuffer? Don't you want more of a pass rush out of your end?

All League
    i think we should take........

1. CB J.Miller, M.Jackson, A.Rolle!
    1. DT if we loose Fergie- Rfodrique Wright!
    2. Saftey-- Shazor!!

Veteran
    the fact is that Abe isnt nearly as bad against the run as everyone seems to think he is.

another thing is that im not sure that Rolle will be a great corner in the NFL (and i am a huge canes fan) i do however think that Rolle would be a great safety. im talking Pro bowl caliber

i honestly think the best corner in the draft is going to be Jones. his stock will sky rocket after he runs a great 40. JMO

Veteran
    Originally posted by JetMan55@Jan 17 2005, 06:49 PM
    i think we should take........

1. CB J.Miller, M.Jackson, A.Rolle!
    1. DT if we loose Fergie- Rfodrique Wright!
    2. Saftey-- Shazor!!
    i think wright is staying. im not positive though

All Pro
    my thoughts on this offseason:

Resign: Ferguson, Baker, Carter, Wright, Goodwin, Jordan
    Release: Brein, Gowin, Buckley, D.Abraham, Becht, Chrebet, Cowart, McKenzie
    Franchise: John Abraham
    Trade: John Abraham for a 1st rd pick from DAL, 4th rd pick from DAL

Premier FA pickup: Walter Jones (LT)
    FA pickups: Vanderjagt (K) (if released), Vinateri (K), Does anyone really care about our punter as long as its not Gowin

DRAFT

1st rd (DAL): Antrel Rolle Miami/Marlin Jackson Michigan CB (Balanced)

Trade 1st rd (NYJ) for a high and a mid 2nd rd pick.

High 2nd rd pick: Ernest Shazor Michigan S (Hard Hitting)
    Mid 2nd rd pick: Alex Smith Stanford TE (Balanced)
    Low 2nd rd pick: Vincent Jackson Northern Colorado WR (BIG)

3rd rd pick: Robert Mcune (Louisville) MLB (Fast)

4th rd pick (DAL): Jason Brown (North Carolina) OC (BIG)
    4th rd pick: Albert Means (Memphis) DT (run stopping)

5th rd pick: Jonathan Pollard (Oregan State) OLB/DE (pass rushing)

6th rd pick: Eric Moore (Florida State) DE (pass rushing)

7th rd pick: Ronald Fields (Mississippi State) DT (run stopping)

Practice Squad
    Merriman is nasty, and he could go real high come draft day if he has a good comine.

But i think if he is left at our pick, 26 i think, then there should be no way we pass him up

Not taking anything away from Bryan Thomas. But Merriman could play backup DE or could come in on certian plys when we switch from the 4-3 to the 3-4.

Took good to pass up I think

All Pro
    goddard in my mock is simmilair and comes later. i feel a 3-4 4-3 switch comes later

JetsInsider.com Legend
    to get back to the topic of the thread i agree with PapaSmurf - if Merriman is there and the JETS take him they could do alot worse - he's from a good program with insane vertical leap numbers - and a disruptive pass rusher with great college production - never a bad thing -

especially like the scenario's contention that the JETS have already taken a first round CB - if that happened it would be a great thing - :lol:

brandon Browner might be a great 26 pick at this point - it would not surprise me to watch this guy run well and rise above some of the bigger names as the day approaches.

Practice Squad
    I agree, at 6'4, browner seems like a god player. And its not just his height, but he seems like a good corner too.