Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jordan will be franchised ... mark it down

Banned
    I Just listened to the Bradway press conference for the fifth time, and I am here to tell you that John Abraham will be signed to an extension long before players declare as free agents ... mark it down ... and that means the franchise tag will be available to use on LaMont Jordan

IMO that's TB's plan and he feels confident about getting it done

No, this is not a wishful thinking opinion on my part ... this is a READ BETWEEN THE LINES opinion after having listened to what TB had to say very closely

TB made mention of his relationship with JA's agent, which dates back many years, and went to far as to suggest they are very friendly ... and he took great pains to infer they may get something done without needing to use the tag

IMO, from what I can gather, TB and JA's agent are already in the same ballpark with a number and this will not be a contentious negotiation ... I'm guessing it may be done much sooner than folks expect ... leaving the Jets with the franchise tag to use on Jordan

Remember where you heard this first, cause I'm normally very good at reading between the lines ... I've just always had a sharp antenna when it comes to reading inferences

Hall Of Fame
    alright now, you gonna put your rep on that claim??

All League
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@Jan 18 2005, 09:07 PM
    I Just listened to the Bradway press conference for the fifth time, and I am here to tell you that John Abraham will be signed to an extension long before players declare as free agents ... mark it down ... and that means the franchise tag will be available to use on LaMont Jordan

No, this is not a wishful thinking opinion on my part ... this is a READ BETWEEN THE LINES opinion after having listened to what TB had to say very closely

TB made mention of his relationship with JA's agent, which dates back many years, and went to far as to suggest they are very friendly ... and he took great pains to infer they may get something done without needing to use the tag

IMO, from what I can gather, TB and JA's agent are already in the same ballpark with a number and this will not be a contentious negotiation ... I'm guessing it may be done much sooner than folks expect ... leaving the Jets with the franchise tag to use on Jordan

Remember where you heard this first, cause I'm normally very good at reading between the lines ... I've just always had a sharpe antenna when it comes to reading inferences
    I really don't know if this would be good news or not.

I'd love to keep Jordan, but I'd rather transition tag him and let Abe walk.

Hall Of Fame
    Preach on, brother GJ&H!!!!

Banned
    Originally posted by Mean Bro Green@Jan 18 2005, 09:09 PM
    alright now, you gonna put your rep on that claim??
    You Got it, MBG ... I'm gonna stake my rep on this one ... I feel very confident that I am right

I can't go into every detail, but much that was said {and the way it was said} leads me to believe {very strongly} that JA and the Jets are closer to an extension than anyone can imagine, and it will be done before players declare

Then the franchise tag will be there to use on Jordan

Rookie
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@Jan 18 2005, 09:07 PM

Remember where you heard this first, cause I'm normally very good at reading between the lines ... I've just always had a sharp antenna when it comes to reading inferences
    While it's nice to have the luxury of resigning an impact player, who for all intent and purpose, was hurt... I dunno if I would. He might have more value to the team being traded than being here. It's something you'd have to ask and question and requestion alot over the next few months.

All League
    There have been, best I can tell, 4 backs who rushed for over 1000 past 32-Harris, Payton, Riggins and Emmitt Smith(Bettis this year fell just short). After that, only Riggins had another from 34 on.

Riggins was a freak who's career was extended by retiring for 2 years in the middle of it. A statistical anomaly.

Figure we can get a year of splitting the time in 2005, and then jettison Martin after 2005 and give the job to Jordan fulltime in 2006. In 2006, Martin's cap number is ridiculous. You can structure a soldid deal for Jordan paying him big-time money in 2006. DO IT.

Banned
    Originally posted by Ray Ray19@Jan 18 2005, 09:09 PM
    Preach on, brother GJ&H!!!!

All League
    aside from firing Hackett

retaining Lamont Jordan is the key factor for the Jets to be successfull next season.

The man will be a superstar

TomShane
    What will that be for next year, 40 mil ties up in the backfield? 140 mil overall? What are we, the Yankees?

Banned
    When this happens, AND IT WILL, you're all gonna call me a genius ... but I'm not

I'm just a good listener and I know what the mans plan is ... and he sounds like the cat who swallowed the canary ... in other words, he sounds like it's in the bag

JMO ... Stay Tuned B)

All Pro
    The problem with this is I really want to see if Parcells will bite on Abe giving me those 2 1st rounders.If we`re going to franchise LaMont as you say,why not give him that type of money in a contract offer,and franchise Abe and wait.I want Abe back,But if losing Abe brings me Mike Williams and a top flight corner/OLT/DE/ or DT,i want to explore that option.

Banned
    Originally posted by TomShane@Jan 18 2005, 09:21 PM
    What will that be for next year, 40 mil ties up in the backfield? 140 mil overall? What are we, the Yankees?
    No no no ... they're not gonna franchise Jordan for that reason ... to pay him for one year

They're gonna franchise Jordan to eliminate all competition ... then immediately get to work on a long term extension ... likely backloaded with a nice pro-rated SB

Banned
    Originally posted by Tinstar@Jan 18 2005, 09:25 PM
    The problem with this is I really want to see if Parcells will bite on Abe giving me those 2 1st rounders.If we`re going to franchise LaMont as you say,why not give him that type of money in a contract offer,and franchise Abe and wait.I want Abe back,But if losing Abe brings me Mike Williams and a top flight corner/OLT/DE/ or DT,i want to explore that option.
    TB is gonna sign JA before the start of free agency BECAUSE HE CAN ... and that would leave the franchise tag for Jordan

It's a way of accomplishing what so many have wondered if he can accomplish ... keeping both men

And today Hendu {and TB, and Herm} all said Abe will be a Jet in 2005 ... so clearly it's what the FO wants regardless of how some fans may feel about it

Now he can't do the same with Jordan {sign him first and then tag Abe} ... there will be too many teams willingly to outbid him, and Jordan's agent knows it ... so with Jordan he must first eliminate all competition, then sit down with his agent and talk long term deal minus the bidding war ... and of course offer him the type of security that would far outweigh playing on a one year deal in 2005 and standing the risk of injury

IMO this is the plan, and it's a good one ... in fact a brilliant one if he can pull it off ... and I believe he will

Undrafted Free Agent
    Can someone help me out here...

As I understand it, IF they use the Franchise tag on Jordan, they have to sign him for 1 year and pay him the average salary of the TOP 5 HIGHEST PAID RB'S FOR THE 2005 SEASON.

Is this correct?

Thanks...just trying to clarify the situation a little.

Oh, and did they get rid of the "transistion player" tag?

All League
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham+Jan 18 2005, 09:26 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Green Jets & Ham @ Jan 18 2005, 09:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TomShane@Jan 18 2005, 09:21 PM
    No no no ... they&#39;re not gonna franchise Jordan for that reason ... to pay him for one year

They&#39;re gonna franchise Jordan to eliminate all competition ... then immediately get to work on a long term extension ... likely backloaded with a nice pro-rated SB [/b][/quote]
    Then wouldn&#39;t the TRANSITION TAG make more sense in case a longterm deal DOES NOT get hammered out?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by TomShane@Jan 18 2005, 09:21 PM
    seriously...they won&#39;t be able to afford that and will be salary cap hamstrung for the next five years.

Banned
    Originally posted by tooooon88@Jan 18 2005, 09:36 PM

As I understand it, IF they use the Franchise tag on Jordan, they have to sign him for 1 year and pay him the average salary of the TOP 5 HIGHEST PAID RB&#39;S FOR THE 2005 SEASON.

Is this correct?

That is correct if you DO NOT workout an extension ... in many cases the franchise tag is simply a means of eliminating competition {i.e. the bidding war} and then getting to work on an extension ... that is often how and why it is used ... as a tool

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by tooooon88@Jan 18 2005, 09:36 PM

As I understand it, IF they use the Franchise tag on Jordan, they have to sign him for 1 year and pay him the average salary of the TOP 5 HIGHEST PAID RB&#39;S FOR THE 2005 SEASON.

Is this correct?

Oh, and did they get rid of the "transistion player" tag?
    Franchise= average of top 5 at that position. If someone else signs him you get two 1st rounders as compensation.

Transitional= average of top ten at salary. Another team signs him to an offer sheet you have ten days to match.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham+Jan 18 2005, 09:40 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Green Jets & Ham @ Jan 18 2005, 09:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-tooooon88@Jan 18 2005, 09:36 PM

Is this correct?

That is correct is you DO NOT workout an extension ... in many cases the franchise tag is simply a means of eliminating competition {i.e. the bidding war} and then getting to work on an extension ... that is often how and why it is used ... as a tool [/b][/quote]
    gotcha...thanks GJ&H