Thread: Why did firing Teddy

All Pro
    than the firing of Hacker? Not that we are missing out on any candidates for now but the longer we wait, we actually do risk losing out on somebody. This decision should have ben made a while ago, playofs or not. Its the body of work he should be judged on, not the SD game.

TomShane
    We were 6-10 last year. Herm was alot more desperate to give the impression that it wasn't his fault. This year, 10-6, Herm knows he's safe.

Veteran
    was it really much faster? Our season ended less than a week ago. Also, we don't have to "fire" Hackett. He is without a contract.

Practice Squad
    With so many people calling for Hackett's head, I think it's Herms way of doing it on his terms...

All Pro
    Originally posted by Lawyers, Guns and Money@Jan 19 2005, 11:24 AM
    was it really much faster? Our season ended less than a week ago. Also, we don't have to "fire" Hackett. He is without a contract.
    I thought that too but his contract is through 2005.

They were saying on ESPPN radio that there is a meeting today and tom. with assistants. They expect it to happen sometime before the end of tom.

Veteran
    Originally posted by rsherryjr+Jan 19 2005, 11:27 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rsherryjr &#064; Jan 19 2005, 11:27 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Lawyers@ Guns and Money,Jan 19 2005, 11:24 AM
    was it really much faster? Our season ended less than a week ago. Also, we don&#39;t have to "fire" Hackett. He is without a contract.
    I thought that too but his contract is through 2005.

They were saying on ESPPN radio that there is a meeting today and tom. with assistants. They expect it to happen sometime before the end of tom. [/b][/quote]
    Really? My apologies&#33; I thought I read that Herm gave his asst. 2 weeks off. Very strange

All League
    It is a lot easier to demand and make changes when you are coming off a lousy season than a year that we just had-
    Football is a sort of like a big fraternity so you just do not hang a guy out there - I still think that the hang man noose is waiting for Hackett it is only a matter of grace period

Rookie
    Well I think Ted was already fired at this point, but you have to understand that the Jets season also lasted two weeks longer than last year.

It has only been a few days since the game. I&#39;d say anytime towards the end of this week or early next week I expect to hear the announcement.

All League
    That&#39;s simple. Cottrell was given carte blanche anything that he wanted in terms talent and still failed miserably at turning the defense around. Int the 3 drafts the Jets under Cottrell the D used 3 1st round picks, a 2nd and a 3rd. Hackett for all his incompetence has only had fill in replacements for what already existed. It&#39;s pretty clear to me Herm and the front office have decided to look for a replacement for Hackett first on the sly. If they can&#39;t find anyone better they will actually keep him. Remember how long it took to hire Henderson after Cottrell was canned ? If and when Hackett gets the boot a new offensive coordinator will be hired within days.

All Pro
    Originally posted by WestCoastMole@Jan 19 2005, 11:39 AM
    That&#39;s simple. Cottrell was given carte blanche anything that he wanted in terms talent and still failed miserably at turning the defense around. Int the 3 drafts the Jets under Cottrell the D used 3 1st round picks, a 2nd and a 3rd. Hackett for all his incompetence has only had fill in replacements for what already existed. It&#39;s pretty clear to me Herm and the front office have decided to look for a replacement for Hackett first on the sly. If they can&#39;t find anyone better they will actually keep him. Remember how long it took to hire Henderson after Cottrell was canned ? If and when Hackett gets the boot a new offensive coordinator will be hired within days.
    On the sly? I agree that they may put a list together and maybe even "feel" some candidates out in terms of interst. But how sly can the interview process be? Is this gonna be a similar situation as when Millen was interviewing candidates while Moeller was still the HC? That was ridiculous IMO. As much as I dislike Hacker, that is a bush-league move and I hope we don&#39;t follow suit. Just can the guy &#33;&#33;

The longer this goes the more scared I am he is keeping him. My initial thought was if he wasn&#39;t fired by Friday he will be staying. I think Herm decided to make Teddy a scapegoat last year coming off a 6-10 season and that is why he made the move quickly plus it gives him more time to look for work. He has a closer relationship with Hackett so Im hoping that Herm just doesnt want a media frenzy pouncing on it this week, which has been a tough week for the Jets staff to say the least. He knows Hackett isnt getting a job anywhere else so its not a concern. Maybe he does it the week of the Super Bowl where it flies under the radar of alot of other stuff.

Rookie
    Exactly&#33; Why the wait??????

Veteran
    Originally posted by Jason423@Jan 19 2005, 12:01 PM
    I think Herm decided to make Teddy a scapegoat last year coming off a 6-10 season and that is why he made the move quickly plus it gives him more time to look for work.
    If you consider Teddy a scapegoat, then let&#39;s make Hackett a scapegoat. If the new OC fills in like DH did, we will be unstoppable. Superior coordinators will mask Herm&#39;s inability to manage the clock and the game.

All Pro
    When Teddy was fired we had one of the poorest defenses in the league. No matter how people view this year&#39;s offense, you can&#39;t say it flat out sucked. After all, rushing titles don&#39;t come along that often ...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Difference of defensive philosophies; plain and simple. Herm was a conventional 4-3 coach and Cotrell was hellbent on implementing the 3-4.