Thread: Meet Mike Heimerdinger

Banned
    MIKE HEIMERDINGER
    Thursday, January 20, 2005

Nickname: Dinger.

Playing career: No pro experience.

Interviews: Runner-up for the 49ers' head coaching job filled this week and for Raiders' head-coaching job in 2003.

Why football? Heimerdinger grew up around the game because his father, Bob, was a high school coach and an equipment manager at Northern Illinois.

Offensive philosophy: A chameleon, Heimerdinger adapted to the Titans' personnel. He changed from a run-first attack, when RB Eddie George was in his prime, to a run-and-shoot, with a more mature Steve McNair at QB.

Memo to Chad: With McNair hurt, Titans backup Billy Volek had three 300-yard games this past season -- including 426 yards vs. the Chiefs and 492 yards vs. the Raiders in back-to-back weeks.

Did you know: He played in the College World Series in 1974 as a center fielder at Eastern Illinois.

Personal: Married (Kathie) with two children (Alicia and Brian).

TITANS OFFENSIVE RANKINGS

UNDER HEIMERDINGER

YEAR;;TOTAL;;RUN;;PASS

2004;;11;;14;;10

2003;;8;;26;;5

2002;;17;;11;;20

2001;;8;;12;;8

2000;;14;;7;;16

HEIMERDINGER ON ...

The shotgun: "I'm for the shotgun if Chad wants to be in the shotgun. If Chad is not comfortable in the shotgun, then we're not going to put him in the shotgun.

RBs Curtis Martin and LaMont Jordan (if he stays): "There will be enough plays for them both to get enough touches."

On getting a tight end: "I know we have the money to do it, and they have shown that they want to be aggressive and go out and get what they need to fit for the offense and get in the right position and give some different looks."

On going vertical with a weaker-armed QB: "What is a vertical game? Is it throwing it 70 yards, which isn't a very high-percentage pass, or is it (throwing) 20, 25, yards and hitting a guy in stride? Well, he proved he can throw that the other day. That's vertical."

Why the Jets: "Very good offensive line. Working for Herm is a plus. The front office is a class front office that gives the coaches some say in some things. There's some money there. There's just a lot of pluses to come here"

Veteran
    i dont even care about the superbowl this year. im ready for the draft, preseason and next season already B) Its nice to be rid of Hackett... i wonder if all other nfl coaches (especially the ones in our division) said "oh sh!t the jets are gonna be explosive this year"

MIKE HEIMERDINGER aka the Donnie Henderson of the Offense

now all we need is a QB coach

wickedtwisted
    Will they hire one? A QB coach might be good...

Veteran
    Originally posted by wickedtwisted@Jan 20 2005, 05:17 AM
    Will they hire one? A QB coach might be good...
    i dont see why not... after all we are the only team in the nfl not to have one :unsure: i kinda hope Vinny Testaverde retires from football and comes back to NY to be chads QB coach. i think he would be perfect for it

All Pro
    Wow, I had to work late last night and didn't log onto this board until now...my how things chancge so fast...Dinger...wow :o

Banned
    Originally posted by Smizzy@Jan 20 2005, 02:33 AM
    HEIMERDINGER ON ...

The shotgun: "I'm for the shotgun if Chad wants to be in the shotgun. If Chad is not comfortable in the shotgun, then we're not going to put him in the shotgun.

RBs Curtis Martin and LaMont Jordan (if he stays): "There will be enough plays for them both to get enough touches."

On getting a tight end: "I know we have the money to do it, and they have shown that they want to be aggressive and go out and get what they need to fit for the offense and get in the right position and give some different looks."

On going vertical with a weaker-armed QB: "What is a vertical game? Is it throwing it 70 yards, which isn't a very high-percentage pass, or is it (throwing) 20, 25, yards and hitting a guy in stride? Well, he proved he can throw that the other day. That's vertical."

Why the Jets: "Very good offensive line. Working for Herm is a plus. The front office is a class front office that gives the coaches some say in some things. There's some money there. There's just a lot of pluses to come here"
    Gotta love this guy

Banned
    looks like a mug shot