Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expect some offseason intrigue...

Rookie
    Now that we have the offseason predictions going full swing, I have to say I didn't buy Terry Bradway's statement that they won't be players this year in the offseason. The reality is that they can't control where their players sign, and I think he realizes that he has to be fast out of the shoot to avoid a repeat of 2003 offseason.

My prediction is that the jets have a lot of versatility with the franchise/transition tag. They will choose between Abe and Jordan for a long-term signing, most likely Abe given the comments at the press conference. They will sign him before March 1, and use the tag on Jordan. This is where I think the fireworks begin. I would expect them to trade him, rather than pay out the franchise tag for the season. They will use the player to get a pick or a player in return. The most potential suitor in my opinion:

Oakland: Lamont and a mid to high-round pick for Charles Woodson. Jets can sign a RB in the draft to back-up Curtis, and pick up a middle tier RB off the street as an UFA. I can't imagine Oakland letting Woodson get away for nothing, so maybe the two make a deal. Oakland could really use Lamont in their backfield. Charles Woodson is still young and even if the other pick is at the end of the first round, the Jets will still do better with Woodson than anything they would get at the bottom of the first. They would get the shut-down corner they've been missing, and would solidify a defense that is coming on strong. I say this as a person who would like to see Lamont stay, but I don't believe any of the hype that he will just sit behind Curtis for another year. Mid-season, him leaving was a no-brainer. I don't think much has changed, despite the happy press quotes.

The other option is that they will parlay their transition/franchise player for picks in the draft. I think Lamont is clearly worth a second round pick or a low first round pick at this point. Might Denver be interested in a swap leaving us two low first round picks? Could be the ammo we need to move up to grab a player we need... RB, tight end, or cornerback.

The other major change I see coming may be at the defensive tackle position. Do you realize that the almost all of their DT's are unrestricted FA's. They will probably lose Fergie (parcells wants him) and would be loathe to sign Josh Evans coming off back surgery. They may resign Harper or Reed for the cheap. That will leave them short at the DT position. I expect them to make a push for Pat Williams from Buffalo or SHaun Rogers from Detroit if Fergie slips away.

With the key free agents they have, the Jets will have to be proactive to make sure they get something in return if players slip away.

Key FA's to watch:

Pat Williams DT
    Shaun Rogers DT
    Kelvin Pritchett DT
    Derrick Mason WR
    Bryan Barker P
    Charles Woodson CB
    Freddie Jones TE

Dark-horse move: Acquiring Randy Moss from Minnesota for John Abraham (or Santana Moss and a pick). I don't think the Jets and Vikings are on good terms after the Winfield incident last year, and Teddy's ousting. And I still don't think the Jets will give up Abraham, a premier pash rusher when he is healthy. But, there are potential matches for a swap between the two, and if the Jets have an opportunity to acquire Randy Moss, this has to be a no-brainer.

All Pro
    shaun rogers was signed by the lions, i dont want a drunkard on our team like woodson, always in trouble

Rookie
    why would denver want Lamont????? Dont they have Bell and Griffin?

Veteran
    Not sure why Denver would want Lamont, they have 3 serviceable backs in Droughs, Bell and Griffith...as for Woodson I do not think he falls into the character guys Herm and Terry look for. GET BAXTER!!!!!

All Pro
    How are we trading LaMont? He's a Free Agent.

Rookie
    IMO, Gary Baxter will not be a Jet, get it out of your heads. I mean I would love to have him, but I hear B-more is close to re-signing. Plus he seems like he loves it there, based on what I've seen in interviews, etc. Who knows, maybe Hendu is putting in some serious recruiting work..

JetsInsider.com Legend
    If our FO is smart, they'll take a VERY hard lok at swiping Fred Smoot (UFA) from the Skins. He immediately fills our #1 CB spot for the next five years, no question (barring some freak injury). He makes our pass D better, and as a bonus, he is a great run-stopping CB to boot.

Banned
    Great Post, PJ ... Just a very well thought out post ... outstanding

BTW, I love Pat Williams and would be thrilled if we landed him to replace Fergy ... PW is a true Mountain Man DT in every sense of the phrase ... just a mass of humanity who you need a bulldozer to move

And one position I would add to your list of free agents to watch is OT, cause I believe we're gonna lose K-Mac ... so I would add two names ... Ryan Diem and Floyd "Pork Chop" Womack ... neither would cost a fortune and both would easily replace K-Mac

Like you, I would also love to keep Jordan ... but I believe you are correct about the Jets seeking to sign Abe prior to March 1 and tagging Jordan {I predicted as much myself only a few days ago} ... now I would then seek to keep Jordan and sign him to a long term deal, but your thesis of a trade is a likely one as well and at least we would be getting serious value in return

Excellent Post, PJ

All League
    Is Smoot worth the money he's looking for?
    Doubtful. Other problem-the rules are now so slanted to WR that it's really debatable how much more a high-end CB is over what we have. The draft is probably a better bet of this position.

Look for a OT-Kyle Turley (a whack job but talented, and he may still have Damien Robinson's helmet, which would cut some costs); Walter Jones won't take a dollar less than he can get.

You guys are still talking about top end FAs. Let's gt some more Pete Kendalls-opportunities for what ever the reason, undervalued or blocked players all looking to get on a team on the upswing who will take a solid but not backbreakcing contrract.

Solid but reasonable. Time for Terry to bleed his eyes in the film room.

All Pro
    I think you are predicting way to many fireworks. I believe its gonna be an offseason w/ a #1 focus to keep all the key existing guys (Abe, Lamont, Fergie and KMAC). I predict we somehow manage to keep everybody except KMAC. We will fill some holes TE, RT, maybe (big maybe) with similar guys we signed last year. I would love to make a splaxsh at Tackle but if we resign all the guys I said, I'm not sure we'll have the money for a Pace/Jones type guy.

All League
    And has others wiser than I have predicted-Mckenzie and Postons are in for the cold wet fish of reality. Simply, he's a bit above baseline average OT, nothing more. He'd be better off staying for a reasonable increase. but the Postons have filled his head with garbage. Why with Jones, Pace and Turley (upon his expected release) will nayone jump up to overpay for him? INSANITY!IF A GM looking to impress will overpay to create buzz on Pace or Jones, but if he does it with McKenzie, he'll be laughed at.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Call me crazy, but I still think we're a little soft against the run especially later in games. To that end signing Pat Williams would be a good move. I think we should address our needs at CB and S through the draft. And the last thing I want to see is Lamont in another uniform. The last back we had with that blend of power and speed was a guy by the name of Riggins. If you liked him as a Skin he was even better as a Jet.

Rookie
    I like the idea of Pat Williams in Green and White. I've never had anything against Ferguson, and I would enjoy him succeeding in Big D with Big Bill, but the idea of Pat Williams and D-Rob sounds pretty stout to me. I don't think CB is that severe of an issue the way that SS is. However I think both can be solved in the draft rather than free agency. I didn't watch too much College this year so I'm not sure of the talent that's out there this year. As far as FA is concerned, I heard that Ray Buchanon is unhappy in Oakland and while he may not be Woodson, he probably comes a bit cheaper, and would probably work well with the DB guru that is Henderson. It would be nice to remind of him of another fellow Hurricane on the Jet defense. As far as the offense is concerned. I like Mackenzie but I think he can be parted with, required there is some sort of Kendall-esque replacement. Someone proven who can come relatively cheap and get the job done for a couple years. As far as Jordan is concerned, I like his new-found loyalty but it has to come at a reasonable price if not, Franchise is going to be his name this winter. TE is obviously a concern as well. I want to give Baker a shot to be utilized more, he has alot more upside than Anthony Becht, but then again so do I at TE. A third or fourth round TE steal could prove to do wonders.

All League
    Originally posted by 4HCrew@Jan 20 2005, 09:23 PM
    Not sure why Denver would want Lamont, they have 3 serviceable backs in Droughs, Bell and Griffith...as for Woodson I do not think he falls into the character guys Herm and Terry look for. GET BAXTER!!!!!
    i thought i read that Droughns wanted a trade. without him, they will be looking. Bell had a shoulder problem mid season.

All Pro
    Originally posted by greengal+Jan 21 2005, 05:54 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (greengal @ Jan 21 2005, 05:54 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-4HCrew@Jan 20 2005, 09:23 PM
    Not sure why Denver would want Lamont, they have 3 serviceable backs in Droughs, Bell and Griffith...as for Woodson I do not think he falls into the character guys Herm and Terry look for. GET BAXTER&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
    i thought i read that Droughns wanted a trade. without him, they will be looking. Bell had a shoulder problem mid season. [/b][/quote]
    1) Tatum Bell is the freaking man, I was PRAYING that the Jets would draft him.

2) It doesn&#39;t matter who Denver has at RB in that system. They&#39;ll draft some 5th-6th rounder who will become a household name.

All League
    Originally posted by Jetlag@Jan 21 2005, 06:03 AM
    1) Tatum Bell is the freaking man, I was PRAYING that the Jets would draft him.

2) It doesn&#39;t matter who Denver has at RB in that system. They&#39;ll draft some 5th-6th rounder who will become a household name.
    i agree Bell has been awesome, but he did struggle with injuries all season. broken finger, rib problem, hammy... we know what it is like to havve a player you count on with injuries ( j-abe) i agree lamont will probably not go there but i don&#39;t believe denver is as secure in that position as some think.

All League
    Originally posted by greengal@Jan 21 2005, 06:18 AM
    i agree lamont will probably not go there but i don&#39;t believe dever is as secure in that position as wome think.
    Is that suppposed to say "in that position as women think"??

That would explain alot

All League
    Originally posted by FlaJet023+Jan 21 2005, 06:25 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FlaJet023 @ Jan 21 2005, 06:25 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-greengal@Jan 21 2005, 06:18 AM
    i agree lamont will probably not go there but i don&#39;t believe dever is as secure in that position as wome think.
    Is that suppposed to say "in that position as women think"??

That would explain alot [/b][/quote]
    hey... first thing in the morning and you are busting my chops&#33;&#33; :lol: no, it is suppose to say... "some".. i have edited..

Rookie
    I think Mason is the most likely of all of them, just because he is very familiar with Dinger and can help the other WRs learn the system. JMAC is familiar also, but he has been out of the system for a year and was also a backup in Ten. Mason would be a good addition for like a 2-3 yr contract IMO

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I think this off season will be interesting if the Jets are not able to re-sign most of their own FA&#39;s