Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Does Herm Do?

Maxman
    Herm is a very positive person. He gets blasted for not yelling and showing more anger. It is not his personality.

But the staff is now setup perfectly. Donnie is tough on the defense. In their faces. Dinger sounds like a screamer as well. Very demanding in your face style.

Herm and Donnie worked well together last season. Now the Jets will be setup with Donnie and Dinger as the BAD cops. Herm is the GOOD cop. This is going to work out well.

What does Herm do? He keeps the team motivated. He keeps them playing hard. He keeps them competitive. And eventually he will be the face that leads this team to the Lombardi trophy.

Make fun of him all you want. This franchise is in much better shape then when he got here. That is a fact. Herm and Terry and working well together. They didn't inherit the Lombardi Packers...yet this franchise is set for the forseeable future!

All Pro
    How about Bad Cop, Worse Cop?

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r:

good post.....surrounding yourself with dynamic personalities is key and Herm has done that......gives me confidence that we also have Bradway and I am so looking forward to the draft and free agency.

All League
    Originally posted by Maxman@Jan 21 2005, 10:39 AM
    Herm is a very positive person. He gets blasted for not yelling and showing more anger. It is not his personality.

But the staff is now setup perfectly. Donnie is tough on the defense. In their faces. Dinger sounds like a screamer as well. Very demanding in your face style.

Herm and Donnie worked well together last season. Now the Jets will be setup with Donnie and Dinger as the BAD cops. Herm is the GOOD cop. This is going to work out well.

What does Herm do? He keeps the team motivated. He keeps them playing hard. He keeps them competitive. And eventually he will be the face that leads this team to the Lombardi trophy.

Make fun of him all you want. This franchise is in much better shape then when he got here. That is a fact. Herm and Terry and working well together. They didn't inherit the Lombardi Packers...yet this franchise is set for the forseeable future!
    Max, I agree with your points, but there are people here who just don't like Herm, for whatever reason.

Case in point: Everyone wanted Hackett gone. It happens, and now some are concerned about whether the guy was fired or he resigned, as if such a fact is important.

Better still: "What will Herm do now?" The implication being that with two good assistants, the Jets don't need him and/or he won't have anyone to blame for failures. Anybody who thinks like that is a loser interested only in griping.

Short of the Jets blowing somebody out in a Superbowl or Herm walking across the Hudson River without getting his shoes wet, Herm is a failure in these people's eyes. That's a sad way to look at things. There are other things worthy of respect: Winning seasons. Playoff games. Respect from the NFL. Respect from people outside the NFL. Players behaving appropriately as role models. The good the team does with charity and community. Consistency. Effort. Good character.

The "we-were-abused-in-our-childhood-as-Jet-fans" excuse for being ultra critical, tired as it is, just won't go away. If I were an outsider looking in, I would treat it as comedy. As an insider, I view it more as being mistakenly locked in an asylum with lunatics.

All League
    Herm needs to put on his cheerleading outfit and stay out of the way of the OC and DC. Hopefully Dinger will take over the in game management which will let Herm do what he does best - Giving high fives and what not.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Stay out of the way, Herm. We're in good shape until our coordinators get plucked for HC jobs.

Maxman
    Originally posted by rbstern@Jan 21 2005, 12:04 PM
    Max, I agree with your points, but there are people here who just don't like Herm, for whatever reason.

Case in point: Everyone wanted Hackett gone. It happens, and now some are concerned about whether the guy was fired or he resigned, as if such a fact is important.
    It is weird. Herm inherited a franchise that had been through 3 head coaches in the span of just over 1 year. The ship was sinking.

Herm and Bradway have made the Jets respectable. It has been a long time since that has happened.

Certainly I want more. I want them to win the DAMN SUPER BOWL. I am just not one of the grass is always greener guys. The Jets are on the right path.

I have seen my neighbors lawn. From far away it looks good...but mine is greener. Stay the course.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)

It's like a broken record since he was hired......he'll never get his due respect from many.....fact is he gets respect from where it matters most and thats from the Jets players and orginization.

There are many here that seem to feel this man knows nothing of football with the "stay out of the coordinators way" chants.....how assanine.

Look what he has done since he arrived and yet he gets zero credit.

Like i said it's been like this since day one but it's meaningless since he gets props from the Jets orginization.

Too many he has done NOTHING as a Jets head coach and thats pretty idiotic...these same individuals will do what they always do...spend the entire offseason blasting the Jets head coach.

Oh Well.

All League
    Originally posted by jetsfreak@Jan 21 2005, 12:45 PM

It's like a broken record since he was hired......he'll never get his due respect from many.....fact is he gets respect from where it matters most and thats from the Jets players and orginization.

he WILL bring us to the promise land and all the haters here will still find fault with him and want him out...

Maxman
    Originally posted by jetsfreak@Jan 21 2005, 12:45 PM

There are many here that seem to feel this man knows nothing of football with the "stay out of the coordinators way" chants.....how assanine.

Look what he has done since he arrived and yet he gets zero credit.

Like i said it's been like this since day one but it's meaningless since he gets props from the Jets orginization.

Too many he has done NOTHING as a Jets head coach and thats pretty idiotic...these same individuals will do what they always do...spend the entire offseason blasting the Jets head coach.

Oh Well.
    Cmon Jetsfreak...Herm is an idiot for the way he handled the DC search last offseason. Donnie Henderson is a bum who nobody else wants remember?

Now the same people are calling for Donnie, the man who Herm hired when noboby else wanted him, to run the whole show.

It is all amusing if nothing else.

Maxman
    Originally posted by spjets+Jan 21 2005, 12:53 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (spjets @ Jan 21 2005, 12:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jetsfreak@Jan 21 2005, 12:45 PM

It&#39;s like a broken record since he was hired......he&#39;ll never get his due respect from many.....fact is he gets respect from where it matters most and thats from the Jets players and orginization.

he WILL bring us to the promise land and all the haters here will still find fault with him and want him out... [/b][/quote]
    The Jets will win the SuperBowl but they won&#39;t cover. You gotta cover man.

Undrafted Free Agent
    I heard Herm can whip up a *****in&#39; souflaki&#33;

Maxman
    Originally posted by Dazzlebug Spaz@Jan 21 2005, 01:16 PM
    Is that why you hate him? You would rather he be able to handle an awesome Bukaki?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Originally posted by Maxman+Jan 21 2005, 12:18 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Maxman @ Jan 21 2005, 12:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Dazzlebug Spaz@Jan 21 2005, 01:16 PM
    Is that why you hate him? You would rather he be able to handle an awesome Bukaki? [/b][/quote]
    Uh...

I&#39;d dissect your entire post of peurile drivel, but why waste my time? You did see the second Pats game and Rams game to end the season, right?

Herm had the troops all motivated in those games. :lol:

Maxman
    Originally posted by Dazzlebug Spaz+Jan 21 2005, 01:29 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dazzlebug Spaz @ Jan 21 2005, 01:29 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Maxman@Jan 21 2005, 12:18 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin-Dazzlebug Spaz
    @Jan 21 2005, 01:16 PM

Is that why you hate him? You would rather he be able to handle an awesome Bukaki?
    Uh...

I&#39;d dissect your entire post of peurile drivel, but why waste my time? You did see the second Pats game and Rams game to end the season, right?

Herm had the troops all motivated in those games. :lol: [/b][/quote]
    Dude you are so right. Your time is valuable. You should be doing something important right now like downloading Quiet Riot MP3s.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Originally posted by Maxman+Jan 21 2005, 12:30 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Maxman @ Jan 21 2005, 12:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Dazzlebug Spaz@Jan 21 2005, 01:29 PM

Uh...

Herm had the troops all motivated in those games. :lol:
    Dude you are so right. Your time is valuable. You should be doing something important right now like downloading Quiet Riot MP3s. [/b][/quote]
    Yeah but what about the Pats and Rams games?

Maxman
    Originally posted by Dazzlebug Spaz@Jan 21 2005, 01:42 PM
    Yeah but what about the Pats and Rams games?
    Okay you are judging Herm by his record. The Jets finished with the 5th seed in the AFC. So Herm isn&#39;t the best but by your criteria then there are lots of coaches who are worse.

I think Bill Cowher is a great coach. He hasn&#39;t won a SuperBowl yet. And his clock management was terrible at the half against the Jets.

Herm has room for improvement. That doesn&#39;t mean he is terrible. Stop being a hater.

All League
    Originally posted by Dazzlebug Spaz+Jan 21 2005, 01:29 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dazzlebug Spaz &#064; Jan 21 2005, 01:29 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>

Uh...

Herm had the troops all motivated in those games. :lol: [/b][/quote]
    Don Shula was the winningest coach in NFL history. But he lost 173 games. Does that mean you need 173 different explanations on why Don Shula didn&#39;t suck as a coach?

Instead of asking why the Jets lost to the Rams and the Steelers, should we anaylize the 11 games the Jets won this year?

You do understand that in the NFL, the performance level is the highest anywhere in the world? That there are two teams on the field, usually fairly balanced in overall talent and motivation to win?

If you come away winning better than 50% of the games, you actually are doing a net positive in the job.

To presume that he&#39;s a inept at the job because he hasn&#39;t won a Superbowl in four years (with 31 other teams competing), is goofy. Particularly since the Jets organization has made good progress in establishing itself as a perenial competitor for a playoff spot.

You are just another "win right now or you&#39;re a bum" crybaby.

All Pro
    Maybe I am missing something but these balanced posts on Herm, IMO, are right on point. No one here said that Herm never has made a mistake, Parcells didn&#39;t improve the team, it dosen&#39;t matter when we lose games or we are only satisfied with getting in the playoffs and not with winng a SB. GOOD GRIEF&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; Have I been with Herm, YES&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; Did I think that te Jets should have been a liitle more aggressive in that ast drive in Pitts, Yes OK&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; Is Herm doing a Very Good Job YES&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; That is the bottom LINE&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

There is actual hatred of Herm, Hatred, on this board, which I find unbelieveable and a little distrubinng since Herm has done things as HC that no Jets coach has done in Jets history&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; For people to constantly state that Herm is a baffoon, or that he can be honestly compared to Kotite, one if the worst coaches in NFL HISTORY is Insane&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33 ;

I think that it is extremely telling that when people start writing the postive things that the Jets have accomplished under Herm one of two thngs happen either the positive posters are personally attaked and ridiculed, not on the basis of what is being discuseed but on personal attacks, or positive posts like these are simply ignored, as if to say by ignoring them, the facts which don&#39;t support mindless hatred will simply go away. Thanks guys for being sane, rational JETS FANS... Lets go Jets&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

All League
    Originally posted by rbstern+Jan 21 2005, 11:04 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rbstern @ Jan 21 2005, 11:04 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Maxman@Jan 21 2005, 10:39 AM

Make fun of him all you want. This franchise is in much better shape then when he got here. That is a fact. Herm and Terry and working well together. They didn&#39;t inherit the Lombardi Packers...yet this franchise is set for the forseeable future&#33;
    Max, I agree with your points, but there are people here who just don&#39;t like Herm, for whatever reason.

Better still: "What will Herm do now?" The implication being that with two good assistants, the Jets don&#39;t need him and/or he won&#39;t have anyone to blame for failures. Anybody who thinks like that is a loser interested only in griping.

Short of the Jets blowing somebody out in a Superbowl or Herm walking across the Hudson River without getting his shoes wet, Herm is a failure in these people&#39;s eyes. That&#39;s a sad way to look at things. There are other things worthy of respect: Winning seasons. Playoff games. Respect from the NFL. Respect from people outside the NFL. Players behaving appropriately as role models. The good the team does with charity and community. Consistency. Effort. Good character.

The "we-were-abused-in-our-childhood-as-Jet-fans" excuse for being ultra critical, tired as it is, just won&#39;t go away. If I were an outsider looking in, I would treat it as comedy. As an insider, I view it more as being mistakenly locked in an asylum with lunatics. [/b][/quote]
    Good stuff, Stern. An 11-6 season and second round of playoffs is a good foundation for next season. There is already a major upgrade at OC. Another year of stockpiling good talent from the draft and FA, and the NYJ will take the next step.