Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ferguson's replacement(s)

All League
    Just a thought. With over a month before free agency, and plenty of time on our hands, I thought I'd throw this topic out there to you Jet maniacs.

Ferguson might very well be gone. His play this year has been very good, and some team might throw him more money than Bradway is willing to spend.

Who do we replace him with?

I personally think Chris Hovan would be a good fit here. Cottrell blows, and despite have good personnel, Minny's D was bad. I don't think anyone should be surprised by this. Hovan is tough, relentless, and a change of scenery will do him well. I believe Donnie Henderson would not only motivate him, but get him back to the level he was playing his first few years in the league.

Bringing in Hovan might not require a boatload of money, especially since his play dropped off recently. If we could sign him for a reasonable amount of cash, I would certainly give him a shot.

Being a fan of the Bears as well, I watch Minnesota often, as I have an interest in all the teams in the NFC North, and I just feel Hovan is not being used to his ability. Henderson plays a much different style of D, whereas Cottrell runs a "read/react" style. Our D would not only get younger, but even more aggressive. I would love to pair Hovan alongside the Bowling Ball.

Any thoughts?

All Pro
    Not a bad idea and I agree with all your points. That said I don't think he would fit into Fergies role on this D Line. Hovan is more of a 3 technique pass rusher than run stopper. Just my .02.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r:

Hovan has a non stop motor and he can still play......he would be a nice fir if we lost fergie.

I hate to tell you but Hovan is the most overrated DT in the League, and the Jets would have to pay too much for someone who would produce less the Fergy
    Resigning Fergy is the right thing to do, with Evans coming back the Jets have good DT's no need to spend more money on the D-Line, need to spread it out mainly a Cornerback and TE

Rookie
    I like hovan but not for that much money if he will play for as much or less the fergi then yeah but to give this guy a huge contract would be crazy

All League
    Here is a list I took from theredzone.org on free agent dt.

2005 NFL Free Agents
    Defensive Tackles

Last Updated: December 6, 2004

Player Status 2004 Team 2005 Team

Pat Williams UFA Bills
    Ethan Kelley ERFA Patriots
    Josh Evans UFA Jets
    Jason Ferguson UFA Jets
    Alan Harper UFA Jets
    James Reed UFA Jets
    Dario Romero RFA Dolphins
    Matt Zielinski RFA Ravens
    Terrance Martin ERFA Bengals
    Tony Williams UFA Bengals
    Nick Eason ERFA Browns
    Grant Bowman ERFA Steelers
    Kendrick Clancy UFA Steelers
    Junior Ioane UFA Texans
    Seth Payne UFA Texans
    Dorsett Davis RFA Broncos
    Luther Ellis UFA Broncos
    Monsanto Pope UFA Broncos
    Montique Sharpe ERFA Chiefs
    Jacques Cesaire ERFA Chargers
    Dequnicy Scott RFA Chargers
    Eric Downing RFA Chargers
    Shaun Rogers UFA Lions
    Marcus Bell UFA Lions
    Kelvin Pritchett UFA Lions
    Cullen Jenkins UFA Packers
    Chris Hovan UFA Vikings
    Ross Kolodziej RFA Cardinals
    Rocky Bernard RFA Seahawks
    Tony Brown ERFA 49ers
    Jordan Carstens ERFA Panthers
    Howard Green ERFA Saints
    Jon Bradley ERFA Buccaneers
    Chartric Darby UFA Buccaneers
    Jermaine Brooks ERFA Cowboys
    Kendrick Allen ERFA Giants
    Lance Legree UFA Giants
    Corey Simon UFA Eagles
    Joe Salave'a UFA Redskins

Not alot of big names here, and I doubt Terry will invest a bunch of money in a replacement, especially if McKenzie leaves. I think he'd be far more willing to place his faith(and the future of our $64 million QB) in a stud LT like Walter Jones or Orlando Pace, than Corey Simon or Pat Williams.

I also though Shaun Rogers re-signed with Detroit? He would be a player that I'd like to pair with DR, but I also think Hovan would eb a good fit here, as long as we don't spend a lot to get him.

Banned
    i don't think he will get alot of money on the market...so if that is true i would take a run at him...i wouldn't give him a boatload of money...but if it was a good deal, i wouldn't mind seeing him here...

Charter JI Member
    Originally posted by JetsFan 51@Jan 21 2005, 12:02 PM
    I hate to tell you but Hovan is the most overrated DT in the League,
    I agree...and I believe he was a healthy inactive on a few occasions this season

All League
    I watched some of Minny-Eagle playoff game and I do not think I even saw Hovan playing-someone help me out- was he available to play or just that I did not notice him in there.

Banned
    he was really in the doghouse this year and didn't play much...they pretty much gave up on him in the defense...he didn't play that much at all...which is why i think he will come very very cheap.

All League
    Originally posted by faba@Jan 21 2005, 12:55 PM
    I watched some of Minny-Eagle playoff game and I do not think I even saw Hovan playing-someone help me out- was he available to play or just that I did not notice him in there.
    No you're right, he didn't play.

He was a player, balls to the wall, intense sparkplug, then his game fell off.

Why?

I think part of the reason is the attention he received. It's an interesting argument, because Kevin Williams then exploded in his rookie year. Hovan saw plenty double teams, which freed up Williams.

This past season, Williams continued to be moved around the line, while Hovan garnered double teams. That, and frustration with Cotrrell's soft d might explain his drop off.

How often do you see Pro Bowl caliber players production suddenly drop off? Minny was brutal against the run, as we were wjhen Teddy was running things. Maybe I'm placing far too much blame on Teddy, but it might be the answer. Maybe not. I just think Hendu would know what to do with him, and how to use him. The styles of D are very different, and he would probably come cheap.

Pat Williams is a bit bigger than Fergie and he might come a little cheaper.

Banned
    Originally posted by MiamiJet@Jan 21 2005, 12:44 PM

2005 NFL Free Agents
    Defensive Tackles

Pat Williams UFA Bills
    Shaun Rogers UFA Lions
    Chris Hovan UFA Vikings
    Corey Simon UFA Eagles
    That's my short list

BTW, don't even bother looking at RFA's ... I dismiss them as not even free agents cause they never go anywhere usless the team doesn't want them ... it's only the UFA's you need focus on

Now while Pat Williams is not the most athletic DT of those I listed above, I think he will come a little cheaper than the other three and he's a perfect fit for this football team .. we already have that Quick/Atheltic DT in Robertson {Strong as an ox as well}, but I'd love to plant this legit MOUNTAIN MAN {part man, part mountain} right along side D-Rob

Veteran
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham+Jan 21 2005, 01:54 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Green Jets & Ham @ Jan 21 2005, 01:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MiamiJet@Jan 21 2005, 12:44 PM

2005 NFL Free Agents
    Defensive Tackles

Pat Williams UFA Bills
    Shaun Rogers UFA Lions
    Chris Hovan UFA Vikings
    Corey Simon UFA Eagles
    That&#39;s my short list

BTW, don&#39;t even bother looking at RFA&#39;s ... I dismiss them as not even free agents cause they never go anywhere usless the team doesn&#39;t want them ... it&#39;s only the UFA&#39;s you need focus on

Now while Pat Williams is not the most athletic DT of those I listed above, I think he will come a little cheaper than the other three and he&#39;s a perfect fit for this football team .. we already have that Quick/Atheltic DT in Robertson {Strong as an ox as well}, but I&#39;d love to plant this legit MOUNTAIN MAN {part man, part mountain} right along side D-Rob [/b][/quote]
    Im still mad we drafted Lamont over Shaun Rogers

All League
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham+Jan 21 2005, 01:54 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Green Jets & Ham &#064; Jan 21 2005, 01:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MiamiJet@Jan 21 2005, 12:44 PM

2005 NFL Free Agents
    Defensive Tackles

Pat Williams UFA Bills
    Shaun Rogers UFA Lions
    Chris Hovan UFA Vikings
    Corey Simon UFA Eagles
    That&#39;s my short list

BTW, don&#39;t even bother looking at RFA&#39;s ... I dismiss them as not even free agents cause they never go anywhere usless the team doesn&#39;t want them ... it&#39;s only the UFA&#39;s you need focus on

Now while Pat Williams is not the most athletic DT of those I listed above, I think he will come a little cheaper than the other three and he&#39;s a perfect fit for this football team .. we already have that Quick/Atheltic DT in Robertson {Strong as an ox as well}, but I&#39;d love to plant this legit MOUNTAIN MAN {part man, part mountain} right along side D-Rob [/b][/quote]
    Rogers signed about a week ago with Detroit so he is out
    Williams is a load in the middle-I know in our game against Buffalo in Buffalo he caused all sort of problems blocking him.

Undrafted Free Agent
    what about our own Tank Reed? I see his is a free agent, but he sure looks good when he gets playing time - and he wouldn&#39;t cost much. what is he lacking?

Banned
    Originally posted by faba+Jan 21 2005, 01:58 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (faba @ Jan 21 2005, 01:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@Jan 21 2005, 01:54 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin-MiamiJet
    @Jan 21 2005, 12:44 PM

2005 NFL Free Agents
    Defensive Tackles

Pat Williams UFA Bills
    Shaun Rogers UFA Lions
    Chris Hovan UFA Vikings
    Corey Simon UFA Eagles

That&#39;s my short list

Now while Pat Williams is not the most athletic DT of those I listed above, I think he will come a little cheaper than the other three and he&#39;s a perfect fit for this football team .. we already have that Quick/Atheltic DT in Robertson {Strong as an ox as well}, but I&#39;d love to plant this legit MOUNTAIN MAN {part man, part mountain} right along side D-Rob
    Williams is a load in the middle-I know in our game against Buffalo in Buffalo he caused all sort of problems blocking him. [/b][/quote]
    Thanks faba, I would zero in on Pat Williams ... the other two are similar to D-Rob, same type of players ... what we need next to D-Rob is a mountain man like PW

All League
    Originally posted by faba+Jan 21 2005, 01:58 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (faba @ Jan 21 2005, 01:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@Jan 21 2005, 01:54 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin-MiamiJet
    @Jan 21 2005, 12:44 PM

2005 NFL Free Agents
    Defensive Tackles

Pat Williams UFA Bills
    Shaun Rogers UFA Lions
    Chris Hovan UFA Vikings
    Corey Simon UFA Eagles

That&#39;s my short list

Now while Pat Williams is not the most athletic DT of those I listed above, I think he will come a little cheaper than the other three and he&#39;s a perfect fit for this football team .. we already have that Quick/Atheltic DT in Robertson {Strong as an ox as well}, but I&#39;d love to plant this legit MOUNTAIN MAN {part man, part mountain} right along side D-Rob
    Williams is a load in the middle-I know in our game against Buffalo in Buffalo he caused all sort of problems blocking him. [/b][/quote]
    That&#39;s what I thought. I saw a breakdown of Rogers&#39; deal on Profootballtalk.com...

Banned
    I would prefer Corey Simon DT from Philly, not sure if Hovan is the type of DT Donnie Henderson likes being under sized and all.

Veteran
    What about Josh Evans? Is he coming back? He was always very productive when healthy and not on crack&#33;

Seriously, though Josh is a tough player.