Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: Musicians -- What is Your Favorite Guitar

JetsInsider.com Legend
    For the Musicians here on JI, both professional, part-time pro, hobbyist or bedroom strummer......

What is your favorite Guitar? Brand, body shape, pickups, anything?

All League
    i have a hammer but ive never played it !!!!

All League
    I have a crappy old Hohner Strat copy.
    The best looking guitar out there is a black Jackson V.

Rookie
    Good topic...

I have a black Ibanez Electric with sharks tooth inlays collecting dust somewhere. That was from the Metal days of the 80's. But now I have a Martin acoustic which I pick up once in a while.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I own a few....

I own a USA-made Gibson SG-X (a single pickup (Hot 500T) SG) as well as Japan-made 70's Fender "Antigua" Stratocaster Special Edition Reissue. I also onw a Schecter S-1 and a Martin All-Mohogany acoustic.

And I suck playing them all, LOL!

My favorite guitars ahave always been the custom build guitars played by Jerry Garcia. I really loved that shape, the psudo-SG but pointier horns very "woody" looking guitars. Sadly, getting a copy costs about $5K, well beyond my "bedroom guitarist" budget.

Right now I'm torn between SG's and Strats. I like both, but have issue with both too.....

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by Warfish@Feb 4 2005, 11:30 AM
    For the Musicians here on JI, both professional, part-time pro, hobbyist or bedroom strummer......

I had a 71 Gison Les Paul Deluxe, everything original. Loved everything about it except the sound was just a tad bit bright. The Standard or Custom would have been right up my alley but too much $$$ I really like the sound of the old Kalamazoo built Les Pauls. Sweet sounding.

Fender Strat is definitely the ultimate do all guitar. I like the Paul Reed Smiths in certain situations, but they don't have nads for rock and roll.

For acoustics, I like Martins but tthey're not worth the money. I'd look for an older Guild.

Now I just like my classical guitar. Leaning toward non-amplified these days.
    Although certainly appreciate a Les Paul Marshall combo sound.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    In the past, I've also owned a 71' Gibson SG Deluxe (I liked it, but it sounded like crap and it felt wrong to replace the original 30+ year old pickups). I also once owned a 96' Gibson GS Special, traded in on my Martin.

Hall Of Fame
    I also appreciate the looks of a guitar, color etc. I like the looks of the new Gretschs, but reproductions never seem to cut it. Gretschs usually have more of a twangy sound, although Malcolm Young plays one.

From what I understand, Gibsons don't record well, its hard to catch that bit of top sweetness that seperates it from the other ballsy guitars. A subtle diffence can be all the difference in the world.

Waterboy
    Personally I prefer a PRS hollow body. And they do have the balls for rock and roll, as evidenced by the fact that Carlos Santana plays one exclusively. Acoustically, I prefer Martin.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by Boozer76@Feb 4 2005, 11:57 AM
    Personally I prefer a PRS hollow body. And they do have the balls for rock and roll, as evidenced by the fact that Carlos Santana plays one exclusively. Acoustically, I prefer Martin.
    Yeah a few rock artists use PRS's. I'm talking more power chord. Santanna more of the searing single notes. They are without a doubt the prettiest guitars out there.

I picked up one of the PRS hollowbodies but didn't plug it in. It felt so delicate and looked so pretty that I'd freak out if I bumped it.

Great necks too.

Veteran
    I had a 91' Guild Stuart X500 a few years ago, sold it 2 summers ago Thing was so nice! I needed the money then but really upset I parted with it

Here is a picture of a newer model

I now basically just play acoustic and am very happy with my Taylor 614ce

Practice Squad
    The love of my life 1972 Gibson Les Paul that was stolen from me in 83. The guitar has unique markings and if I ever see it I'll shoot first and ask questions later.

The Ernie Ball Music Man 'Steve Morse' model guitar is a sweetheart. 4 pickups and a very wide variety of tone combinations. It's next on my list.

Otherwise I'm making do with a Peavey Strat and a Gibson acoustic.

"You can never have too many guitars"

Doug S.

Veteran
    Originally posted by vandoug@Feb 4 2005, 12:08 PM

"You can never have too many guitars"

Aint that the truth

I currently have a Tele Thinline, A piece o crap Ibanez acoustic, A Guild D 30 acoustic (great sounding guitar, but just TOO BIG) in additon to the Taylor I play mostly. I am going to get another electric one of these days.

BTW Go to Mandolin Bros in staten Isalnd if you like Acoustics. The place is friggin amazing

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by Lawyers, Guns and Money@Feb 4 2005, 12:07 PM
    Thing was so nice! I needed the money then but really upset I parted with it

Been there bro. Once needed money so I sold my Fender Combo amp. It sounded so sweet that if I farted in it , it came out sounding like Clapton.

Practice Squad
    Fender mexican strat.
    Ibanez acoustic.

Veteran
    Originally posted by Warfish@Feb 4 2005, 11:30 AM

To answer teh original questions

I was partical to guild when they were made in RI. I learned to place a little senior year in school (Providence) and the first guitar I played was a guild (factory was in RI.) But they have since been bought out by Fender and moved to arizona......so i only will buy a RI Guild

I love a hollow body

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by Lawyers@ Guns and Money,Feb 4 2005, 12:16 PM
    But they have since been bought out by Fender and moved to arizona......so i only will buy a RI Guild

That is exactly what I was talking about when I said OLDER Guilds. I love Martins.,Gibsons etc, but those RI Guilds are a steal for the money.

Veteran
    Charter JI Member

I'm a very casual player since becoming a mommy, but I do own a few, although nothing too fancy.

In electric, I have a Gibson Epiphone, and an Ibanez. I had a really nice Kramer years ago, but I sold it.

For acoustic, I have a Sigma six-string, an Ovation electric acoustic, but my absolute baby, my favorite is my Seagull 12-string.

Hall Of Fame
    I play acoustic and have three:

1) A Martin made of Rosewood (my baby)

Just a great guitar and I recently had a Fishman pickup installed so it is "gig ready." I paid WAY too much for this guitar....

2) An Ovation acoustic/electric

This one isn't that great. It's got a thin neck and plays like an electric cause the action is really low and all, but the fiberglass back gives it a tinny sound. It sounds way, way better plugged in than it does unplugged. But even still, ever since I got my Martin four years ago, this one just collects dust. I wouldn't recoomend buying an Ovation.

3) An old Fender acoustic. I have no idea what model or make it is. It's basically a plain-looking guitar with the word Fender on it's head. The inside is unreadable. My brother and I were at a NJ Transit train station in Convent Station, NJ a few years back and a hobo was playing and asking for money. He gave us a song and dance about needing a bus or train ticket to NC for some reason. I told him I'd buy his guitar from him and that should be enough for the ticket. He said he had a bunch of guitars "back home" and so we negotiated and I bought it for $60. Still don't know if I mande out on the deal...but I've had it ever since and it does sound pretty good. It's my "drunk" guitar...I play it when I am wasted cause I don't worry about being too rough or tripping or something and smashing it apart in my stupor.

Years ago I had an Alvarez 12-string, but got bored with it and sold it.

I also have two bass guitars, both of which are Fenders, one is a Fender Jazz bass (US) and the other a Precision (mexico).

I recently bought a banjo amd am trying to learn that. It's a 5-string, but I forget what the make is....

My brother has a Washburn acoustic guitar and he loves it.

Veteran
    Love my Alvarez acoustic the most. Dreadnought body style, pearl rosette, rosewood fingerboard and bridge.