Thread: Red McCombs denies report

JetsInsider.com Legend
    http://www.startribune.com/stories/510/5225920.html

No Moss trade talk yet again
    Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
    February 7, 2005 VIKE0207

JACKSONVILLE, FLA. -- As discussions with Arizona entrepreneur Reggie Fowler entered a critical timing stage, the Vikings issued another round of exasperated denials of another national report regarding the future of receiver Randy Moss.

Owner Red McCombs, vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski and Dante DiTrapano, Moss' agent, all said the critical portion of ESPN's report -- that McCombs gave Brzezinski permission to shop Moss last week -- never happened. McCombs, in fact, has been conducting daily discussions with Fowler's staff in an attempt to sell the franchise soon after Super Bowl XXXIX, which was Sunday.

In a brief interview from his home in San Antonio, McCombs said he has not authorized any trade discussions for Moss. And while the team likely will entertain offers once the trading period begins March 2, Brzezinski said there have been no discussions, either with McCombs or other NFL teams.

"I don't know why this thing keeps being brought up," Brzezinski said. "It hasn't even been discussed at all."

DiTrapano confirmed Brzezinski's version of the situation. DiTrapano acknowledged he has spoken with Brzezinski this offseason but that they agreed to postpone any potential trade discussions until later this offseason. DiTrapano also said he has not asked permission to shop Moss himself.

"There's nothing going on that I know about," he said.

The Vikings sought three first-round draft picks from teams that inquired about Moss last season, and even after a season in which he missed most of five games because of a strained right hamstring, his price tag will remain high this offseason. The team almost certainly will seek two first-round picks and a starting player in order for serious discussions to begin.

Should the Vikings become active in trade discussions, Baltimore and Oakland are considered two of the most interested bidders for Moss' services.

Meanwhile, Fowler's exclusive negotiating rights with McCombs, believed to be for 30 days, will reach its midpoint today. Some have speculated that McCombs will attempt to either complete a deal with Fowler or move on to other offseason business this week.

Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor has said he will be ready to act if Fowler is unable to purchase the team. Taylor, however, has been unwilling to meet McCombs' $600-plus million price tag.

maybe this should be a part of the merged Moss thread - i don't really know what to make of it, except that if the Vikings want to trade Moss, they sure are denying it alot...

All League
    Yea, and Emmit Smith isnt retiring.

Everybody that has anything to do with sports, in any capacity, is a friggin liar.

Hall Of Fame
    that blurb is utter bullcrap, Sacklick99 talked to someone in teh Vikings organization and he told him that the Jets have made the best offer of all interested parties about a month ago and we are the front runners to get him, dont you pay attention BIT??????

Practice Squad
    And Quincy Carter missed the Pittsburgh game visiting his mom...............

Hall Of Fame
    theyre probably trying to down play the whole thing and not seem so hot to trade him to up the ante

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Originally posted by dickkotite@Feb 7 2005, 04:23 PM
    theyre probably trying to down play the whole thing and not seem so hot to trade him to up the ante
    BINGO.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by dickkotite@Feb 7 2005, 04:23 PM
    and to not have him go ballistic if they cant move him

JetsInsider.com Legend
    my interpretation is that Randy Moss is considered a big enough Asset of the Vikings organization that he will be added into the value of the franchise when they are selling it - if they trade Moss the value of the vikings franchise goes down in the short term.

Banned
    Originally posted by bitonti@Feb 7 2005, 04:32 PM
    my interpretation is that Randy Moss is considered a big enough Asset of the Vikings organization that he will be added into the value of the franchise when they are selling it - if they trade Moss the value of the vikings franchise goes down in the short term.
    My God Bit, we actually agree on something! You think the prospective new owner wants to hear that they're trading Moss? I doubt it.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by scrizzy+Feb 7 2005, 05:45 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (scrizzy @ Feb 7 2005, 05:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bitonti@Feb 7 2005, 04:32 PM
    My God Bit, we actually agree on something&#33; You think the prospective new owner wants to hear that they&#39;re trading Moss? I doubt it. [/b][/quote]
    yeah because of all those rings he has brought them in MInny town

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r:

sorry RED but I don&#39;t beleive Ya&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Moss is on the block.......I don&#39;t take what a lot of these experts say except one man...Chris Mortinson. He says something and I take it seriously.