Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One of my favorite off season topics

Veteran
    Alright, this did well each of the last two seasons so lets try again. Favorite book or best book you've read since last off-season.

My list
    ---------

Angelas Ashes--pulitzer prize winning book and it was well deserved

Mind Hunter--A look at the FBIs profiling system for serial killers

Band of Brothers--A great read about D-Day and defeating Hitler all the way up to his "eagles nest"

Just started reading "In Harms Way" about a retired Navy Colonel who committed suicide in his 60s due to an unjustified dishonorable discharge from the Navy.

All League
    no time to read books but i do flip through magazines when im on the crapper.... :lol:

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Just finished The Godfather- Mario Puzo. I literally couldn't put the book down-- so much in the book that was never in the movie(s).

Veteran
    Since last offseason I've read the following and liked them all:

Moneyball - Michael Lewis

Angels and Demons - Dan Brown

The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown

America's Game - Michael McCambridge

The Bad Guys Won - Jeff Pearlman (Story of the '86 Mets)

DOLPHINWORSHIPPER2
    Originally posted by spjets@Feb 11 2005, 08:33 PM
    no time to read books but i do flip through magazines when im on the crapper.... :lol:
    BINGO! I've got a stack of ESPN magazines sitting in the little magazine holder thing.
    As for real books, the closest thing I've had time for has been anything to do with ELMO w/ my 2&1/2 yr old. Good stuff!

Charter JI Member
    My most recent read was, Touching the Void by Joe Simpson
    an amazing survival story and a quick read

DOLPHINWORSHIPPER2
    Originally posted by Buzzsaw@Feb 11 2005, 08:34 PM
    Just finished The Godfather- Mario Puzo. I literally couldn't put the book down-- so much in the book that was never in the movie(s).
    Phenominal book. I've read it about 6 times. It always has the same ending but everytime you read it something different sticks out. If you liked Godfather by Puzo, you'd probably like The Last Don. Pick it up.....

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Originally posted by DOLPHINWORSHIPPER2+Feb 11 2005, 04:44 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DOLPHINWORSHIPPER2 @ Feb 11 2005, 04:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Buzzsaw@Feb 11 2005, 08:34 PM
    Just finished The Godfather- Mario Puzo. I literally couldn&#39;t put the book down-- so much in the book that was never in the movie(s).
    Phenominal book. I&#39;ve read it about 6 times. It always has the same ending but everytime you read it something different sticks out. If you liked Godfather by Puzo, you&#39;d probably like The Last Don. Pick it up..... [/b][/quote]
    Cool. I&#39;ll check for it on E-Bay.

Rookie
    I&#39;m biased Shameless self-promotion :All the Lost Voices

Practice Squad
    Originally posted by SINYJets@Feb 11 2005, 03:34 PM
    Since last offseason I&#39;ve read the following and liked them all:

Moneyball - Michael Lewis

Angels and Demons - Dan Brown

The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown

America&#39;s Game - Michael McCambridge

The Bad Guys Won - Jeff Pearlman (Story of the &#39;86 Mets)
    I just ordered moneyball and it arrived today. Heard it was good. Anyone else read it? any opinions?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy

Edit: DOH, missed the "Single last offseason" part.

Best I&#39;ve read since last offseason.......hmmm, I havn;t read many books this honestly, and most weren&#39;t great.

Oh, ok....."The Stratocaster Chronicles", the history behind Americas most famous guitar on it&#39;s 50th Anniversary.

Banned
    1. Veeck as in Wreck ... Greatest sports book of all time ... you can&#39;t put it down ... absolutely hilarious

2. When Pride Still Mattered {a life of Vince Lombardi}

Practice Squad
    Great Topic. Here is a few really good ones that I read since last off season:

Skinny Legs and All – Tom Robbinson
    Villa Incognito – Tom Robinson
    Into the Wild – John Krakauer
    The Fountainhead – Ayn Rand
    DaVinci Code – Dan Brown
    Johnny Cash - Autobiography
    Confederacy of Dunces – John Kennedy Toole
    To Kill a Mocking Bird – Harper Lee
    Catch Me if You Can – Frank Abignale Jr.

And right now I&#39;m reading Lincoln by Gore Vidal which is pretty interesting and turning out to be a really good book.

Rookie
    Harry Potter hands down... yes its corny but it rules.... ill fight anyone over its honor

Practice Squad
    Originally posted by fatcatxl@Feb 11 2005, 04:29 PM
    Harry Potter hands down... yes its corny but it rules.... ill fight anyone over its honor
    The Harry Potter books are awesome. I can&#39;t wait for the new one this summer.

Rookie
    hell yeah... lol im dyin for that book to come out... its my nerdy release.

Practice Squad
    Originally posted by Buzzsaw@Feb 11 2005, 04:34 PM
    Just finished The Godfather- Mario Puzo. I literally couldn&#39;t put the book down-- so much in the book that was never in the movie(s).
    Buzzsaw, my grandma lived next door to him in Bay Shore, NY. I have an autographed hard cover.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Originally posted by Al B Sure+Feb 11 2005, 05:44 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Al B Sure @ Feb 11 2005, 05:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Buzzsaw@Feb 11 2005, 04:34 PM
    Buzzsaw, my grandma lived next door to him in Bay Shore, NY. I have an autographed hard cover. [/b][/quote]
    Very cool- just don&#39;t ever consider selling that thing...unless it&#39;s to me of course

All Pro
    Read the Sicilian. It is another good one by Puzo.

I just read Citizen Soldiers. Excellent read.

Hmm, listing my favorite book would be akin to attempting to to find a needle in the proverbial haystack. Just too many great ones to pick from.

Hall Of Fame
    Love historical fiction:

Gates of Fire--Steven Pressfield--The battle of 300, best I&#39;ve read in years

War of the Rats--Robbins (?); Battle of Stalingrad (Gates of the Enemy movie)

Gates of the Alamo--Steven Harrigan; great retelling of the Alamo, warts and all

Winds of War/War and Remembrance--Herman Wouk; 1900 pgs of WWII-no bore

Stupid fiction:

Without Remorse--Clancy; his best effort ever (and I like most of his older stuff)

Cathedral and Charm School--Nelson Demille; actually ANYTHING by Demille is funny, entertaining--his main character is ALWAYS the biggest wiseass

Smilla&#39;s Sense of Snow- Peter Hoeg; just a GREAT book

Guys: READ GATES OF FIRE--So good, Clooney bought the rights and will turn it into a major film that EVERYONE want&#39;s to be in