Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gary Myers says John Abraham For Moss

All League
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/28...6p-240282c.html

There has been alot of talk about a trade for Moss, if John Abraham without even giving up a pick was enough to get Moss that would be crazy.

I tried to copy and paste the article but for some reason i couldn't.

Veteran
    A Mossy situation

Jets have tough call to make

Randy Moss could bring his Pro Bowl skills - and antics - to the Jets next year.

It's a shame the Giants don't have the desire or draft picks to get into the Randy Moss auction. Tom Coughlin vs. Moss would be worth two No. 1 picks and be more entertaining than any of the Giants' games. And he would give them desperately needed firepower for Eli Manning.

But it's the Jets who will be major players if the Vikes, as expected, solicit offers for Moss. The Jets have a lot of ground to make up on the Patriots and adding Moss - the most feared receiver in the league when he feels like playing - is the biggest move they can make in the offseason to close the gap. Bill Belichick has built the Patriots to last, and the Jets can't expect to make up four games by waiting around for the draft.

There are mixed signals coming out of Minnesota: Do the Vikings plan to trade Moss or not? Confusion is not unusual for the Vikes, who have made an art form out of draft day confusion. Red McCombs may be close to selling the team, and Moss, even in the short term, increases the value of the franchise. McCombs may elect to let the new owner decide if he wants to keep Moss. Mike Tice says the Vikings are not shopping the Pro Bowler. That doesn't mean they won't trade him. Besides, no coach has less job security than Tice.

Once the Vikes solicit bids for Moss, the Jets, Ravens and Raiders are expected to make a run at him. But giving up two No. 1 picks or a No. 1 plus an impact player, is not an easy decision to make because there is more than football to the Moss package.

The upside: He's one of the top five players when healthy and motivated. Terrell Owens, another divisive personality, excelled for the Eagles after a change of scenery and was their best player in the Super Bowl - even 46 days after ankle surgery. Owens' success increases the Vikings' leverage in trade talks. But there is an important difference: Owens has never been a problem off the field.

The downside: After Moss was fined $10,000 for his fake moon in Green Bay, he uttered this gem: "It ain't nothing but 10 grand. What's 10 grand to me?" That will go over big if he winds up in New York. He alienated teammates by walking off the field with two seconds left in the final game of the season. He's always doing something to create negative headlines.

"He's my good friend, but you almost get to thinking that maybe enough is enough," Vikes QB Daunte Culpepper said. "And maybe the Vikings organization has had enough."

Moss, who turns 28 today, could do for the Jets what Owens did for the Eagles. Moss, however, has already played seven years and broke down last season with hamstring and ankle injuries. So it's definitely a buyer-beware situation. We've suggested a straight-up deal of Moss for John Abraham, who is being franchised by the Jets.

Minnesota needs an impact defensive player and Abraham is one of the most feared pass rushers in the league. The Jets never criticized Abraham, but his inability to get back on the field after his knee injury, especially for their two playoff games, raised questions about his toughness and committment. There is no need for the Jets to throw in their No. 1 pick, 26th overall. Abraham is enough. Defensive end is more of a premium position than wideout.

"Moss is probably worth two No. 1s," one NFC scout said. "But a lot of teams will not have him on their team. You've got as much chance of it blowing up as succeeding."

Moss, despite the distractions of New York, is still a good fit for the Jets. Chad Pennington was his QB at Marshall and they had an excellent relationship. In Herm Edwards' four years with the Jets, no player has been able to walk over the coach, and the Jets have a strong enough locker room that enough players will get in Moss' face if he brings his Minnesota act with him. Even though he could be a declining player, he is still an impact player and the Jets must do something to catch the Patriots.

"He can divide your team in half and just destroy morale," one personnel director said. "But obviously he's one of the most talented receivers in the history of the league who can win games by himself. I wouldn't touch him with a 10-foot pole. What has he ever done to get his team into a meaningful game and win it? When they really need him to be the man, something happens. It's been too big for him."

The Jets would have to risk buying a ticket to the entire Moss show. The Pats traded for Corey Dillon, who had a bad reputation, and he got them 100 yards a game and helped them repeat as Super Bowl champs. Owens helped the Eagles get to the Super Bowl. The Jets can't just sit around and watch the Pats win Super Bowls.

i got your back

Hall Of Fame
    This is exactly what I have been thinking all along. Most guys on this site want to give up the franchise to get this guy. COMPLETELY ABSURD.........

You have to make the deal a deal you can live with. Do you really think TB would be able to live with giving up Abe, Santana, and a third round pick as has been suggested so highly around here? GET REAL - that's giving up the franchise and isn't worth it.

I suggested Santana and a 1st or Abe straight up. My thinking is, I think it is quite possible Abe could garner TWO 1st rounders. Many articles have stated Minnesota would be looking for TWO 1st rounders for Abe. So a straight up trade makes sense RIGHT?

To be truthful, I think the Jets should shop Abe for TWO picks. Hopefully, Dallas steps in and decides to take advantage of that deal. We can then have THREE 1st rounders. We shop two of them (hopefully the two later 1st rounders) for Moss and keep Dallas' number 11 overall. If we do that and do not give up ANYTHING else. Then at the end of the day when we ask ourselves, are we a better team now? The answer will be DEFINITIVE YES.........

All Pro
    2 Things...

As much as I don't want Moss here, if we can get him straight up for Abe, or maybe Abe and a 3rd... I would do it in a second.

Also, how is Moss a player in decline or potentially declining? I loathe the man, but his skills are not declining one bit.

Banned
    Originally posted by sandz@Feb 13 2005, 07:09 AM
    Red McCombs may be close to selling the team, and Moss, even in the short term, increases the value of the franchise. McCombs may elect to let the new owner decide if he wants to keep Moss.
    I think this is BAD NEWS for those who want Randy Moss ... cause I believe the new owner will elect to keep him

McCombs has lived through all of the BS with Moss, thus he would be ready to cut bait ... but it's likely the new guy, who hasn't dealt with the backlash, will see only the talent of Moss and will be predisposed towards keeping him

Last night on Sirius NFL they were talking about Moss's chances of being traded very slim. They were local reporters from Minnesota. Didn't sound too encouraging.

Banned
    Originally posted by verdegirl@Feb 13 2005, 09:02 AM
    Last night on Sirius NFL they were talking about Moss's chances of being traded very slim. They were local reporters from Minnesota. Didn't sound too encouraging.
    Yep, this thing is starting to sound more and more unlikely

The further the Vikings get away from the 2004 season, the more trivial Randy's antics begin to seem ... gives everyone a chance to cool down ... thus the more his talent comes back into focus

THAT, and the impending sale of the team, is making this seem more and more unlikely

Hall Of Fame
    Talent wise I always thought a straight up trade or Abe plus a 3rd was fair enough.

However ...

With Abe's injury history and the fact that he is only under contract for 1 year (barring he negotiates something with Minnesota) I felt it called for us to throw in more on our side.

All Pro
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham+Feb 13 2005, 01:06 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Green Jets & Ham @ Feb 13 2005, 01:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-verdegirl@Feb 13 2005, 09:02 AM
    Last night on Sirius NFL they were talking about Moss&#39;s chances of being traded very slim. They were local reporters from Minnesota. Didn&#39;t sound too encouraging.

The further the Vikings get away from the 2004 season, the more trivial Randy&#39;s antics begin to seem ... gives everyone a chance to cool down ... and the more his talent comes back into focus

THAT, and the impending sale of the team, is making this seem more and more unlikely [/b][/quote]
    Could give the Vikings a Heschel Walker type deal.

Banned
    Originally posted by PFSIKH@Feb 13 2005, 09:09 AM
    Could give the Vikings a Heschel Walker type deal.
    NO WAY

I want the player if the price is fairly reasonable, but I give the ranch away for no man

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham+Feb 13 2005, 09:06 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Green Jets & Ham @ Feb 13 2005, 09:06 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-verdegirl@Feb 13 2005, 09:02 AM
    Last night on Sirius NFL they were talking about Moss&#39;s chances of being traded very slim. They were local reporters from Minnesota. Didn&#39;t sound too encouraging.

The further the Vikings get away from the 2004 season, the more trivial Randy&#39;s antics begin to seem ... gives everyone a chance to cool down ... thus the more his talent comes back into focus

THAT, and the impending sale of the team, is making this seem more and more unlikely [/b][/quote]
    Ahhh..How refreshing&#33;&#33; Some reality comes to the Board&#33;&#33; Yes it&#39;s
    easier to sell a Car if it still has the engine..And it&#39;s easier to sell a
    Franchise with a Franchise player still on the Team&#33;&#33;

Waterboy
    I agree with Myers they are both worth 2 #1&#39;s why not just make a straight up swap besides we would be assuming most of the risk.

Banned
    Originally posted by savage69+Feb 13 2005, 09:34 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (savage69 &#064; Feb 13 2005, 09:34 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@Feb 13 2005, 09:06 AM
    <!--QuoteBegin-verdegirl
    @Feb 13 2005, 09:02 AM

The further the Vikings get away from the 2004 season, the more trivial Randy&#39;s antics begin to seem ... gives everyone a chance to cool down ... thus the more his talent comes back into focus

THAT, and the impending sale of the team, is making this seem more and more unlikely
    Ahhh..How refreshing&#33;&#33; Some reality comes to the Board&#33;&#33; Yes it&#39;s
    easier to sell a Car if it still has the engine..And it&#39;s easier to sell a
    Franchise with a Franchise player still on the Team&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
    The franchise should be sold early this coming week so it will be up to new ownerships opinion of Moss.

If we have cap room left, I&#39;d rather wait and see how the Muhhamad and Mason situations pan out in Tennessee and Carolina.

Defense (including Abe) turned this team around and for the most part, carried the team for large portions of the season. I am not so sure breaking it up for Moss is the answer.

Undrafted Free Agent
    We don&#39;t need moss as long as we make a play in Free Agencey there are a couple of good WR we could get, and I don&#39;t want the baggage moss comes with. Abe has turned around and we swap him with thomas alot then we may be able to keep him injury free.

On a side not I was reading how they might be moving the NFL draft to the Javits center, if that happens that would be pretty cool because my Uncle works at the Javits center and I might be able to go.

Banned
    id do the abe for moss deal in a minute...

Banned
    "Even though he could be a declining player, he is still an impact player and the Jets must do something to catch the Patriots."

:blink: :blink: :blink:

he just turned 28 and now he is a declining player? wtf

All League
    Originally posted by ErIcBaRtOn50@Feb 13 2005, 10:29 AM
    "Even though he could be a declining player, he is still an impact player and the Jets must do something to catch the Patriots."

:blink: :blink: :blink:

he just turned 28 and now he is a declining player? wtf
    what,did you think myers would&#39;nt add a negative spin to a jet article? :blink:

Waterboy
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham+Feb 13 2005, 09:06 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Green Jets & Ham @ Feb 13 2005, 09:06 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-verdegirl@Feb 13 2005, 09:02 AM

Thank god. Offer them a 2nd rounder and leave it at that.

Banned
    this trade is a no brainer for the jets

people forget, but I bet if all this talk was happening during the san diego or pittsburgh game during the playoffs that 99% of the people here would say F Abraham and trade him for Moss

Banned
    The Vikings would laugh their asses off being offered Abraham for Moss straight up. Or Abe and a 3rd? Please, that&#39;s just laughable.