Thread: last year's needs

JetsInsider.com Legend
    so im going through the teams needs pages over at draftdaddy -

and what do i find but the masterpiece that is GJ&H's 2004 JETS team needs article.

before we talk about how accurate the needs list itself was - have fun reading about Hammer's reaction to the season itself... freakin hilarious

New York Jets ... Team Needs

Now this baby reads like a laundry list, which sort of explains the abysmal season the Jets had in 2003.

The Jets needs are so glaring at a number of positions that it makes it nearly impossible to prioritize them in order of Dire Needs to Lesser Needs ... there are no lesser needs!

Nope, there are only needs ... needs galore ... needs up the wazoo ... needs, needs, and more needs.

And if you happen to be a Jets fan like myself who was forced to endure this team in 2003, you likely had some needs of your own. Like oh say, one drink, every hour on the hour, for sixteen miserable weeks.
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

meanwhile check out Hammer's list of Pos need, accompanies notable quote and how they filled it, step by step - maybe Terry is your biggest fan hammer?

---

1) WR

"This team is thinner than a supermodel on crack at WR."

JETS sign: WR Justin McCareins

2) MLB

"Jones has lost a few thousand steps and it's time to cut bait with the old warhorse. Please don't be fooled by his number of tackles, which numbers over a hundred. Anyone who watches this team on a fairly regular basis will tell you that the man is absolutely, completely, and utterly done."

JETS draft: LB Jonathan Vilma #12 overall

3) CB

"The Jets best CB is Donnie Abraham ... nuff said. The aforementioned Donnie Abraham should never stop thanking the mother of all scrubs, Aaron Beasley, for making him look good by comparison ... and only by comparison to Beasley."

JETS sign: CB David Barrett

4) OG

"Simply put, Brent Smith stunk out the joint in 2003 ... and nearly got Pennington killed in the process."

JETS sign: OG Pete Kendall

5) SS

"Garnes is yet another aging vet who appears to be stealing money at this point in his career.

The Jets need to tell Sam Garnes, in no uncertain terms ... "You can stop running now, Sam. It's over" " :lol:

JETS sign: SS reggie tongue
    JETS draft SS Rashaad Washington
    ---

Banned
    Hey Bit, I also said the Jets need to add a young OLB in that column ... enter Eric Barton

Jets were smart last off season ... this team desperately needed a youth movement and TB attacked it aggressively

While all the heavy lifting has been done, I think they need to take the same approach this off season ... unload declining vets and replace them with younger free agent vets and/or draft picks

A few declining vets off the top of my head who they can cut this year and replace with youth

Reggie Tongue {the only move that failed as they replaced Sam Garnes with Sam Garnes in training}
    Ray Mickens {injury and age}
    Josh Evans {injury and age}
    Wayne Chrebet {injury and age}

Just a few off the top of my head

Banned
    One more

If we draft a Corner in the 1st RD or sign one of the young quality CB free agents, Donnie Abe becomes expendable

All League
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@Feb 14 2005, 01:08 PM
    A few declining vets off the top of my head who they can cut this year and replace with youth

cutting wayne makes my heart bleed ham

can't they do an early retirement? could he be an asst coach somewhere? i just hate seeing him cut...and i don't want him playing in another uni. He is a Jet through and through...

Banned
    Originally posted by greengal+Feb 14 2005, 01:12 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (greengal @ Feb 14 2005, 01:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Green Jets & Ham@Feb 14 2005, 01:08 PM

can&#39;t they do an early retirement? could he be an asst coach somewhere? i just hate seeing him cut...and i don&#39;t want him playing in another uni. He is a Jet through and through... [/b][/quote]
    Players rarely retire while in the midst of a contract cause it leaves money on the table ... they almost always force the team to pull the trigger

Maybe the Jets can work on some sort of injury settlement here so Wayne can bow out gracefully, get his money, and the Jets don&#39;t need to look like the villian

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham+Feb 14 2005, 01:28 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Green Jets & Ham @ Feb 14 2005, 01:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by greengal@Feb 14 2005, 01:12 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin-Green Jets & Ham
    @Feb 14 2005, 01:08 PM

can&#39;t they do an early retirement? could he be an asst coach somewhere? i just hate seeing him cut...and i don&#39;t want him playing in another uni. He is a Jet through and through...
    Players rarely retire while in the midst of a contract cause it leaves money on the table ... they almost always force the team to pull the trigger

Maybe the Jets can work on some sort of injury settlement here so Wayne can bow out gracefully, get his money, and the Jets don&#39;t need to look like the villian [/b][/quote]
    Wayne isn&#39;t going anywhere but back on the field in a Jets uni in 2005

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

LOL I love Ham. Other than me, He&#39;s the best and brightest poster on this board... Alright, Alright, Alright......... Ham is the best period.

You know what&#39;s funny. The Jets had 6 new starters on defense last year. Vilma, Coleman, Tongue, Hobson, Barton and Barrett. That&#39;s alot of change on one side of the ball. Look at some of The 2003 defensive starters.

Mo Lewis- Out of football

Marvin Jones- Still waiting by his phone in florida.

Sam Garnes-Hanging out at nightclubs in the bronx.

Tyrone Carter- Bounced around two or three different teams this year before ending up with The Steelers.

You know your defense is bad when 4 of your starters can&#39;t even get backup jobs.

It wasn&#39;t all Teddy&#39;s fault. The talent level was putrid in 2003. Having Abraham play only 6 games didn&#39;t help matters much either.

Bradway and the front office did a masterful job last offseason. They hit on almost every move. Just a year after striking out left and right with the likes of Curtis Conway and company.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by greengal+Feb 14 2005, 01:12 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (greengal @ Feb 14 2005, 01:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Green Jets & Ham@Feb 14 2005, 01:08 PM

can&#39;t they do an early retirement? could he be an asst coach somewhere? i just hate seeing him cut...and i don&#39;t want him playing in another uni. He is a Jet through and through... [/b][/quote]
    I&#39;m with you Greengal........Chrebet is a Jet and a loyalist through and through.

Although it may not be realistic to the salary cap age, I hope some type of deal could be struck for Wayne to retire a Jet............