Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Derrick Strait an NFL starting CB?

Rookie
    Derrick Strait. A potential late 1st/ early 2nd rounder at one point last year. Top corner on a top college D. Everyone here was psyched when he dropped to us in the 3rd. He was the heir apparent to Donnie Abraham. We didnt get to see much of him unfortunetly this year due to injury. But the very little we did see late in the year was very promising.

Looks like Barrett was an exceptional pickup by Bradway and could/should even improve. A Barrett/ Strait pairing could be very good for a while to come. That is if Strait is indeed the man of the future. Is he? Or is he a career nickel guy?

Everywhere I see, its Jets going CB in round 1. Granted there are several promising CB prospects with 1st round talent this year. But I'm not sold that CB is a must pick as is generally thought. I'm not sold its either Rogers or Miller and thats it. Personally, I think Donnie Abraham can hold the fort for another year, if need be, and with Mickens, should he return, would make a solid foursome and if there is better value out there at S, TE, OT, NT, RB, WR...I am going that way.

Thoughts?

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r:

I can see straight being a starting CB but I still want to get a CB in the draft...you can't have too many good corners.

Veteran
    Originally posted by soppel@Feb 14 2005, 04:40 PM
    Derrick Strait. A potential late 1st/ early 2nd rounder at one point last year. Top corner on a top college D. Everyone here was psyched when he dropped to us in the 3rd. He was the heir apparent to Donnie Abraham. We didnt get to see much of him unfortunetly this year due to injury. But the very little we did see late in the year was very promising.

Looks like Barrett was an exceptional pickup by Bradway and could/should even improve. A Barrett/ Strait pairing could be very good for a while to come. That is if Strait is indeed the man of the future. Is he? Or is he a career nickel guy?

Everywhere I see, its Jets going CB in round 1. Granted there are several promising CB prospects with 1st round talent this year. But I'm not sold that CB is a must pick as is generally thought. I'm not sold its either Rogers or Miller and thats it. Personally, I think Donnie Abraham can hold the fort for another year, if need be, and with Mickens, should he return, would make a solid foursome and if there is better value out there at S, TE, OT, NT, RB, WR...I am going that way.

Thoughts?
    I think you make a great point. Especially considering that a few cbs will drop to the second round simply because there are so many. Donnie Abe has at most one more year with the team so drafting a CB is necessary - but drafting him in the first round may not be.

All League
    Lets be honest guys: not only does Gay have better ball skills than Strait, he's got more fluid hips.

Veteran
    Originally posted by RichardSeymour@Feb 14 2005, 04:45 PM
    Lets be honest guys: not only does Gay have better ball skills than Strait, he's got more fluid hips.
    Strait saw very little action this year - no way you can make that assessment based on his limited body of work.

Not that theres anything wrong with that...

Undrafted Free Agent
    His hips did him wonders while "trying" to cover T.O.

Veteran
    That's a scary post:
    "not only does Gay have better ball skills . . . he's got more fluid hips."

I feel if one of the top CBs is available at #26, we should go for it.

A good cover corner would only improve our pass rush and give us those extra few seconds we needed last season to lay some good wood on the QB.

Undrafted Free Agent
    I think he is starting CB material. I would agree that there are other holes that need to be filled For example, we need a replacement for McGraw. He just isn&#39;t cutting it. We need someone athletic as well as a good hitter and not someone who hurts the wrong person after a tackle...himself&#33; <_<

Banned
    Originally posted by SU5PECT@Feb 14 2005, 04:55 PM
    I think he is starting CB material. I would agree that there are other holes that need to be filled For example, we need a replacement for McGraw. He just isn&#39;t cutting it. We need someone athletic as well as a good hitter and not someone who hurts the wrong person after a tackle...himself&#33; <_<
    i am not recommending this move, but we could kill 2 birds with 1 stone if we get miller/rogers at 26, and move barrett to SS and make basically 2 rookies (miller/rogers and strait start at corner)

it would be EXTREMELY risky

Practice Squad
    Lets be honest guys: not only does Gay have better ball skills than Strait, he&#39;s got more fluid hips.
    I must have missed where in this thread anyone asked an opinion of Randall Gay. You guys are out of control.

Banned
    Lets be honest guys: not only does Gay have better ball skills than Strait, he&#39;s got more fluid hips.

.................................................. ..... :lol: .............................. :lol: :lol:

All League
    We all heard that Brady loves Gay ball skills.... a perfect fit.

Hall Of Fame

why would you want to move barrett to SS? He&#39;s a legit solid NFL Corner back...Barrett will be our CB for years....Donnie Abe probably has 1 good year left....draft a CB. Even if Strait has the ability to start in 2005 I still want a CB...at least in the 2nd round.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Originally posted by ErIcBaRtOn50+Feb 14 2005, 05:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ErIcBaRtOn50 @ Feb 14 2005, 05:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-SU5PECT@Feb 14 2005, 04:55 PM
    i am not recommending this move, but we could kill 2 birds with 1 stone if we get miller/rogers at 26, and move barrett to SS and make basically 2 rookies (miller/rogers and strait start at corner)

it would be EXTREMELY risky [/b][/quote]
    It is not a bad idea, but Barrett would have to add some bulk to his frame. But I like that thinking even though it is risky.

Hall Of Fame
    I can see straight being a starting CB but I still want to get a CB in the draft...you can&#39;t have too many good corners
    Here&#39;s the other thing: Strait could be a viable starter in the league. or, he could be just a nickel back. I don&#39;t think there&#39;s any doubt that a guy like Carlos Rogers is a viable starter. Given our pass rush and run D, I say we take the best available player to shore up our pass D. I don&#39;t think Brodney Pool is worth taking ahead of a rogers, miller or even brandon browner, and there&#39;s no way the only safety rated higer than him - thomas davis - slips to us at 26. So unless you think Pool is a better player, or that we should be drafting offense, I don&#39;t see how we don&#39;t take a CB

All League
    Jets should draft a DB or another DL. We have a very good young defense, but if we have the chance to a draft another CB or Safety we have the chance to add another young player at a key position to complement our other D foundations (Robertson - DT, Vilma - LB, Ellis - DE) and make this an elite group in 1-2 years time.

Ravens won it all with an elite D, and our O is set in talent except for TE ( I like Baker though).

We have the chance to create a SCARY defense, we just need that young impact player in the secondary (hopefully Strait IS the answer) to seal the deal.

All League
    SS is quite clearly our bigger need, and a GAPING HOLE at the moment, in the secondary. Sure, you can talk about Rashad Washington&#39;s potential until your face turns blue, but the fact is, he was passed on until the 7th round for a reason, and I would be a bit more comfortable with a Thomas Davis or a Junior Rosegreen on the team. At CB, however, we CAN live with what we have. I feel that Donnie Henderson has only begun to work his magic, and that Strait and Barrett will be effective starters. With that said, we SHOULD draft a CB on day 1 to compete with them, but I don&#39;t believe it MUST be a CB UNLESS the CB we are looking at is also the best player on the board. You cant have too many good corners, true, but why use the draft pick on one if we can improve in another area of need just as easily?

All League
    Ronald Bartell

Hall Of Fame

Tom Brady was passed till the 6th round for a reason

Eric Coleman dropped to the 4th round for a reason

players like Herm Edwards who were not even DRAFTED played many solid years in this league.

Right now I am looking at the 2004 issue of Street & Smiths.....kinda interesting....I am going over all the teams rosters and whats most interesting is that the majority of NFL starters are not even 1st and 2nd rounders&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

I look at the draft.....then I do research on that particular player (going to college site etc) I don&#39;t take too much stock on how high a player is drafted.....like I said I do my research.....I don&#39;t just wait till draft day.

Remeber an undrafted Safety from RUTGERS by the name of Deron Cherry? He played a few years and had a damn fine NFL career.