Thread: Switching Gears

All Pro
    Does anyone know if the Seahawks have decided to or will franchise Walter Jones again this off season.This player interest me more than That Receiver taking up so many treads on this board.Hell,he interest me more than most of our free agents including John abraham.

Would you trade John Abraham for Walter Jones.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... i would love to get jones ... there is no reason to trade abe for him...

...the hawks already are in cap trouble and won't be able to keep jones, hasselbeck, & alexander ... they will not be able to afford abe...

l_j_r

Veteran
    For the difference in $, Jones would be a huge upgrade over KMac but only if we don't lose anybody to get him. Would bring way more value to this team than Randy Moss.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    two points -

1) Walter Jones is 31 - not exactly a spring chicken - and will cost a TON to sign long term. After Chad and Ellis im not sure the JETS really have that sort of cap room

2) The Seahawks are going to tag one of Jones, Alexander or Hasselbeck - JOnes is the most likely choice if the club can re-up Hasselbeck - so talking about Jones might be a moot point. They can't afford to lose him...

Veteran
    He's never been seriously injured. Has shown no signs of slowing down. I'd give him a 5 year deal.

Agree the key is Hasselbeck, if they sign him they can franchise Jones and game's over. If not, Hasselbeck has to get the tag and we have a shot.

Would give us top 5 OL to go with top 5 DL.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    a tag on Hasselbeck would be horrible for the Hawks as the top 5 QB number is always staggering -

JMO this is likely a moot point - Matt re-signs, Walter gets tagged and Shaun goes FA

if Jones somehow hits the open market i agree the JETS would do well to pursue him... but that's a big if...

Veteran
    Originally posted by bitonti@Feb 15 2005, 11:34 AM
    a tag on Hasselbeck would be horrible for the Hawks as the top 5 QB number is always staggering -

JMO this is likely a moot point - Matt re-signs, Walter gets tagged and Shaun goes FA

if Jones somehow hits the open market i agree the JETS would do well to pursue him... but that's a big if...
    I agree, 3-1 against it happening but you never know.

Way more likely, IMO, than this Moss BS and way more valuable if it happens.

All Pro
    Originally posted by bitonti@Feb 15 2005, 10:23 AM
    two points -

1) Walter Jones is 31 - not exactly a spring chicken - and will cost a TON to sign long term. After Chad and Ellis im not sure the JETS really have that sort of cap room

2) The Seahawks are going to tag one of Jones, Alexander or Hasselbeck - JOnes is the most likely choice if the club can re-up Hasselbeck - so talking about Jones might be a moot point. They can't afford to lose him...
    It`s because they can`t afford to lose him that he interest me so much.I want this Player more than any other free agent.More than any draft pick.More than I want John Abraham back.

We have 2 young OTs on our roster,both with potential as the long term solution at LT.They both need time and seasoning,and Walter Jones can afford us that time and still protect Chad`s blindside.I would be willing to throw 1 of em at the Hawks along with Abraham even if the Hawks franchise Jones.The Franchise tag for Jones and Abraham is about the same,and we would be giving the hawks they choice of either player.

We could replace the player we lose with a Jeremy Parquet or a Calvin Armstrong.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    agreed -

JETS fans don't want to hear this but most likely the biggest signing of the offseason already occured in the form of Heimerdinger.

Banned
    NFL Network's Adam Shefter reports that little progress has been made on Walter Jones' contract.
    The bigger news was that Seattle is only talking to Jones and Matt Hasselbeck. They plan to ''franchise'' whoever they can't sign. Judging by the past, Jones will be much harder to get committed long-term. Feb. 14 - 7:49 pm et

Originally posted by bitonti@Feb 15 2005, 11:23 AM
    two points -

Jones would be an asset to any team. I don't see how Sea can tag him a 3rd time. The number on that must be astronomical.

I don't see it under our current cap situation, but if it happened, you'd have to be happy to the extent that we got a great player.