Thread: Walter Jones re-sgins with Seahawks

Jones expected to re-sign with Seahawks

Jay Glazer / FOXSports.com
    Posted: 29 minutes ago

The Seattle Seahawks do not have their front office in place yet but they have still managed to lock up the NFL's best tackle to a new massive contract.

FOXSports.com has learned that the Seahawks last night agreed to terms with free-agent-to-be Walter Jones, arguably the NFL's best lineman. The deal spans seven years and includes a signing bonus that exceeds $15 million and includes additional roster bonuses over the first three years. The total package averages more than $7 million per season, putting him on par with the likes of Jonathan Ogden as the highest paid linemen in the NFL.

Jones, who recently played in yet another Pro Bowl, likely would have been designated with the dreaded franchise tag again had the ‘Hawks been unable to lock him up. That number was in the $8.4 million range for one year.

Considering the team has been running its ship with no skipper at the wheel, interim negotiator/team executive Mike Reinfeldt has actually put Seattle in place to secure its top two off-season priorities in Jones and quarterback Matt Hasselbeck.

The team has already turned its attention toward getting something done with quarterback Hasselbeck. By getting a deal done with Jones — he is expected to officially sign later today — Seattle now has the luxury of franchising the quarterback. If they can lock up Hasselbeck too then they will have the tag to use on another free agent, such as Pro Bowl RB Shaun Alexander.

In related news, the Seahawks are set to re-interview Dolphins executive Brian Wiedmeier, Falcons personnel man Ron Hill and Cardinals Senior Director of Football Operations Jon Idzik for the president of football operations post.

All Pro
    Very good news for the Seahawks , bad news for all those teams looking to free agency for an upgrade at the LT spot, including potentially the Jets. :[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='mad.gif' />

Hall Of Fame
    It was a pipe-dream to think we had a chance at him anyway but, it was more fun to have that dream than to realize the reality.

Back to the drawing boards ... ...

All League
    Khalif Barnes

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Originally posted by MiamiJet@Feb 16 2005, 11:47 AM
    Khalif Barnes
    speaking of which, we have a new extended draft profile up on the site

http://www.draftdaddy.com/prospects/khalifBarnes.cfm

enjoy

---

also from scout.com

Jets looking into OT Khalif Barnes

"We have learned that both the Pittsburgh Steelers and New York Jets are seriously considering using their initial pick to choose Barnes but the question remains; will the big offensive tackle be available late in the first round. "

All League
    ALL ABOARD FOR RYAN DIEM SAY AYE.............................AYE!!

All League
    Originally posted by bitonti+Feb 16 2005, 11:50 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bitonti @ Feb 16 2005, 11:50 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MiamiJet@Feb 16 2005, 11:47 AM
    Khalif Barnes
    speaking of which, we have a new extended draft profile up on the site

http://www.draftdaddy.com/prospects/khalifBarnes.cfm

enjoy

---

also from scout.com

Jets looking into OT Khalif Barnes

"We have learned that both the Pittsburgh Steelers and New York Jets are seriously considering using their initial pick to choose Barnes but the question remains; will the big offensive tackle be available late in the first round. "
    [/b][/quote]
    Right on time, Bit.....

Good read

All League
    The more I think about it, I think I&#39;d draft Barnes in round #1, and try to sign one of the castoffs from Tennessee(Rolle or Dyson).

Barnes stock will rise though, and someone might take him before us. Green Bay?

I know Green Bay has issues with their line and have invested a ton of money in Chad Clifton. Isn&#39;t Marco Rivera a free agent? I believe his age and money demands might be too high for him to return.

Would it be a reach for GB to nab Barnes, slot him into the RT spot, and move Tauscher into RG, to replace Rivera?

Regardless, I feel confident that Bradway will bring in a solid prospect in round 1. We could go T or CB and I&#39;d feel happy. I&#39;d rather have Barnes than Heath Miller.

he question is cam Barnes play LT. We need a left tackle so we can move fabini to the right side.

Rookie
    Now i guess well see a bunch of new mock offseason minus Jones