Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Supporting the Stadium

Rookie
    This post is not only for Jet Fans, but to fans of football in general. The Jets play in, without a doubt, the greatest market in pro sports. They are the NEW YORK Jets. No other city in the country, or the world for that matter, has as many pro teams representing it. Yet we Jet fans are second-class citizens by far. When people from other cities and countries are asked about what teams they know about from New York, itís always the Yankees, Giants, and Knicks. Why are these 3 mentioned and not the Jets? Well, for the Yankees itís obvious. They have won 26 titles, and play in the most famous of all stadiums. The Giants have been around forever, and have won many championships before the Jets even came into existence. The Knicks play in the worldís most famous arena. Zeppelin played there, Ali fought there. These 3 teams have something the Jets donít. Their own stadium. If the Jets were to win a championship, where would we raise a championship banner? Right next to the sign that reads,ĒGIANTS STADIUM.Ē This is a shame. They Jets need their own identity, their own stadium. I wonder how many Met fans would be happy to tailgate at Yankee Stadium. Or Knick fans taking a bus to the Meadowlands to see a Knicks home game. I think I drove the point home about not ever sharing a stadium with the Giants.

The next point I want to make is how selfish people seem to be when they talk about a west side stadium. Where will we tailgate? What about parking? Ticket prices? Has anyone thought about what is best for the New York Jets, and not where youíre going to party before the game? To me, I believe the team, whoever they may be in 2009, will be positively affected by playing in New York City. The view of the skyline will look better than itís looked since September of 2001. Imagine the arial view of the skyline, with the Empire State Building and the stadium a few blocks away. Now imagine The Jets running out of the tunnel before the game. How will they feel? Any Jet fan should get chills by this point. If all you care about is tailgating, then go buy a Tiki Barber jersey and stay in the swamp. Queens? I think I covered that. Manhattan is the center of it all, not the Meadowlands, and not an empty lot next to Shea Stadium.

What really bothers me is how divided we are about this. We may never be offered this again in our lifetime. We have an owner who wants to make the Jets better for right now, and for the next guy down the road. Do other teams differ this much when a new stadium is proposed? I doubt it. The Eagles, Seahawks, Patriots, Bucs, and others built stadiums with fewer problems. Iím sure the Dolans love the split that Jet fans have. So letís stand together a build this thing already. Itís in the best interest of the team.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Originally posted by Jetfan721@Feb 16 2005, 02:02 PM
    This post is not only for Jet Fans, but to fans of football in general. The Jets play in, without a doubt, the greatest market in pro sports. They are the NEW YORK Jets. No other city in the country, or the world for that matter, has as many pro teams representing it. Yet we Jet fans are second-class citizens by far. When people from other cities and countries are asked about what teams they know about from New York, itís always the Yankees, Giants, and Knicks. Why are these 3 mentioned and not the Jets? Well, for the Yankees itís obvious. They have won 26 titles, and play in the most famous of all stadiums. The Giants have been around forever, and have won many championships before the Jets even came into existence. The Knicks play in the worldís most famous arena. Zeppelin played there, Ali fought there. These 3 teams have something the Jets donít. Their own stadium. If the Jets were to win a championship, where would we raise a championship banner? Right next to the sign that reads,ĒGIANTS STADIUM.Ē This is a shame. They Jets need their own identity, their own stadium. I wonder how many Met fans would be happy to tailgate at Yankee Stadium. Or Knick fans taking a bus to the Meadowlands to see a Knicks home game. I think I drove the point home about not ever sharing a stadium with the Giants.

The next point I want to make is how selfish people seem to be when they talk about a west side stadium. Where will we tailgate? What about parking? Ticket prices? Has anyone thought about what is best for the New York Jets, and not where youíre going to party before the game? To me, I believe the team, whoever they may be in 2009, will be positively affected by playing in New York City. The view of the skyline will look better than itís looked since September of 2001. Imagine the arial view of the skyline, with the Empire State Building and the stadium a few blocks away. Now imagine The Jets running out of the tunnel before the game. How will they feel? Any Jet fan should get chills by this point. If all you care about is tailgating, then go buy a Tiki Barber jersey and stay in the swamp. Queens? I think I covered that. Manhattan is the center of it all, not the Meadowlands, and not an empty lot next to Shea Stadium.

What really bothers me is how divided we are about this. We may never be offered this again in our lifetime. We have an owner who wants to make the Jets better for right now, and for the next guy down the road. Do other teams differ this much when a new stadium is proposed? I doubt it. The Eagles, Seahawks, Patriots, Bucs, and others built stadiums with fewer problems. Iím sure the Dolans love the split that Jet fans have. So letís stand together a build this thing already. Itís in the best interest of the team.
    Todd: Awesome post. Hit the nail square on the head.

Some people just don't get it.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

THE BEST POST I HAVE SEEN IN A VERY LONG TIME

All Pro
    Never happen as long as these knuckle head Jet fans from New Jersey cling to their dream of the Jets staying at Giant stadium forever..

Woody has made it clear that they're not under any circumstances signing a new contract with the NJSEA to stay at the Meadowlands or have a stadium as partners with the Giants, like they've been offered and the Giants so desperately want.

There is no plan b, c or d to stay at the Meadowlands, so when Woody moves the team out of our area because of these fans fighting against the stadium, They should look in the mirror and blame themselves.

Originally posted by Jetfan721@Feb 16 2005, 03:02 PM
    The next point I want to make is how selfish people seem to be when they talk about a west side stadium. Where will we tailgate? What about parking? Ticket prices? Has anyone thought about what is best for the New York Jets, and not where youíre going to party before the game?
    First off, anyone who makes that statement had better be going to the games. If not, I don't want to hear it. Seriously.

As for being selfish... Please. Let's contrast WoodyWorld and the egos involved against mine and other fans who hate the Manhattan Project and just want to go to the games. Game over.

The idea that Manhattan is the center of it all is pure bunk. Itís a big city and the other boroughs are a huge part of it. Is Yankee Stadium the most famous stadium in the world? Yeah, and is it in Manhattan? If the Mets are good, they draw. Are they in Manhattan? The Jets play in the wrong state and in the Giants building and they have a long waiting list. So go sell the need to be in Manhattan somewhere else.

You want a great Jets environment? Fine. Then try listening to your real fans. The Jets have been disingenuous from the start. They claimed to have polled their base and when that became obviously false they admitted to talking to a very small number. That group was undoubtedly hand picked.

You want us devoted attendees of the team to care about the team? I think it's abundantly clear that we do. How about the team caring about us?

What's going to happen - is going to happen, but the fact that I am not in favor of Woody and his Brie Bowl with the upper crust in their heated boxes and a corporate environment similar to MSG does not make me disloyal, it makes them all about their own priorities. Priorities that have exceedingly little to do with you or me.

As for tailgating, I enjoy it. It matters to me because it ensures a good experience regardless of the performance of the team which tends to fluctuate. Tailgating is 50% of the day. Itís about friendship and all that good stuff. Putting it down is ignorant.

As for the ticket prices... Maybe you have an unlimited budget, but I donít and a lot of the fans donít. Many of those fans that will undoubtedly get squeezed out have been staunch supporters of the team for generations.

Loyalty goes both ways.

Board Moderator
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by Jetfan721@Feb 16 2005, 02:02 PM
    The next point I want to make is how selfish people seem to be when they talk about a west side stadium. Where will we tailgate? What about parking? Ticket prices? Has anyone thought about what is best for the New York Jets, and not where youíre going to party before the game?
    nice sentiment - i agree, if those are your only issues, maybe you're being selfish - but it is a hobby, a leisure pursuit, for us, unlike the players/owners/employees, so really, what aspect of that isn't selfish?

and isn't it selfish of you to want the west side stadium, in the face of a financially strapped city and a state agency (mta) that is the backbone of that entire city trying to get the most from a limited amount of remaining real assets? especially when required by law to do so?

and isn't it selfish of you to expect the financially strapped city to dip into it's tax coffers to support tax-free bonds so that a wealthy sports owner can finance his building, and then double dip by allowing that owner to pay those bonds off with tax money?

Originally posted by isired+Feb 16 2005, 07:58 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (isired @ Feb 16 2005, 07:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Jetfan721@Feb 16 2005, 02:02 PM
    nice sentiment - i agree, if those are your only issues, maybe you&#39;re being selfish - but it is a hobby, a leisure pursuit, for us, unlike the players/owners/employees, so really, what aspect of that isn&#39;t selfish?

and isn&#39;t it selfish of you to want the west side stadium, in the face of a financially strapped city and a state agency (mta) that is the backbone of that entire city trying to get the most from a limited amount of remaining real assets? especially when required by law to do so?

and isn&#39;t it selfish of you to expect the financially strapped city to dip into it&#39;s tax coffers to support tax-free bonds so that a wealthy sports owner can finance his building, and then double dip by allowing that owner to pay those bonds off with tax money? [/b][/quote]
    The money card. Like we haven&#39;t seen this one before. You should&#39;ve try this one during the election then maybe Kerry would be Pres. :lol:
    Tailgating isn&#39;t necessary, go to a bar or a restaurant or somebody&#39;s house.

Originally posted by wildthing2022000@Feb 16 2005, 09:13 PM
    Tailgating isn&#39;t necessary, go to a bar or a restaurant or somebody&#39;s house.
    Isn&#39;t necessary? Neither is a west side stadium or football for that matter. ďNecessaryĒ is not a viable barometer in a relative discussion about recreational activities.

Undrafted Free Agent
    I want a Jets football Stadium.

Manhattan?

Okay, fine...but I don&#39;t believe its going to happen.

So if not Manhattan, then please tell me where?

Right now it looks like its a stay in the Garden State if no Manhattan deal?

No?

Okay, then where?

All I know is that I want a Jets Stadium in New York.

If not Manhattan - then tell me where?

Originally posted by Jet-Zeppelin+Feb 16 2005, 08:29 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jet-Zeppelin @ Feb 16 2005, 08:29 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-wildthing2022000@Feb 16 2005, 09:13 PM
    Isn&#39;t necessary? Neither is a west side stadium or football for that matter. ďNecessaryĒ is not a viable barometer in a relative discussion about recreational activities. [/b][/quote]
    that&#39;s what makes it unnecessary, it has 0 impact on the game and it&#39;s just something people came up with to kill time before the game.

Originally posted by wildthing2022000+Feb 16 2005, 09:36 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (wildthing2022000 @ Feb 16 2005, 09:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Jet-Zeppelin@Feb 16 2005, 08:29 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin-wildthing2022000
    @Feb 16 2005, 09:13 PM

Isn&#39;t necessary? Neither is a west side stadium or football for that matter. ďNecessaryĒ is not a viable barometer in a relative discussion about recreational activities.
    that&#39;s what makes it unnecessary, it has 0 impact on the game and it&#39;s just something people came up with to kill time before the game. [/b][/quote]
    That&#39;s bull. How often have you tailgated? If it&#39;s so insignificant, then why is it a football tradition for college and pro coast to coast?

Iím so sick of people who donít go, who have these opinions belittling the real fans. Itís beyond weak.

If tailgating is so unimportant, then why are so many hardcore fans up in arms over losing it?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by isired+Feb 16 2005, 08:58 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (isired @ Feb 16 2005, 08:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Jetfan721@Feb 16 2005, 02:02 PM
    nice sentiment - i agree, if those are your only issues, maybe you&#39;re being selfish - but it is a hobby, a leisure pursuit, for us, unlike the players/owners/employees, so really, what aspect of that isn&#39;t selfish?

and isn&#39;t it selfish of you to want the west side stadium, in the face of a financially strapped city and a state agency (mta) that is the backbone of that entire city trying to get the most from a limited amount of remaining real assets? especially when required by law to do so?

and isn&#39;t it selfish of you to expect the financially strapped city to dip into it&#39;s tax coffers to support tax-free bonds so that a wealthy sports owner can finance his building, and then double dip by allowing that owner to pay those bonds off with tax money? [/b][/quote]
    Wrong&#33;&#33;&#33; Its selfish for the City to want to have pro sports teams with the Cities Name on the teams, but not help out with the team having a home in the city.

If this deal falls apart, NYC DOES NOT DESERVE TO HAVE THE NYJ

Originally posted by jetman67+Feb 16 2005, 09:41 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jetman67 @ Feb 16 2005, 09:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by isired@Feb 16 2005, 08:58 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin-Jetfan721
    @Feb 16 2005, 02:02 PM

and isn&#39;t it selfish of you to expect the financially strapped city to dip into it&#39;s tax coffers to support tax-free bonds so that a wealthy sports owner can finance his building, and then double dip by allowing that owner to pay those bonds off with tax money?
    Wrong&#33;&#33;&#33; Its selfish for the City to want to have pro sports teams with the Cities Name on the teams, but not help out with the team having a home in the city.

If this deal falls apart, NYC DOES NOT DESERVE TO HAVE THE NYJ [/b][/quote]
    Get a clue. You think NY benefits from the Jets? I&#39;d say it&#39;s the other way around. They benefit from our large market. Why do you think both NJ teams kept thier NY tags?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by Jet-Zeppelin+Feb 16 2005, 09:44 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jet-Zeppelin @ Feb 16 2005, 09:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by jetman67@Feb 16 2005, 09:41 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin-Jetfan721

and isn&#39;t it selfish of you to expect the financially strapped city to dip into it&#39;s tax coffers to support tax-free bonds so that a wealthy sports owner can finance his building, and then double dip by allowing that owner to pay those bonds off with tax money?

Get a clue. You think NY benefits from the Jets? I&#39;d say it&#39;s the other way around. They benefit from our large market. Why do you think both NJ teams kept thier NY tags? [/b][/quote]
    They left because NYC would not help with them having homes in NY. The Jets first lease was only for a few years in NJ. NYC still wanted nothing to do with a stadium because New Yorkers are too cheap. So the Jets extended the Meadowlands lease.

If this falls apart and the Jets stay in the meadowlands, they should leave NY totally and Just be the NJ JETS

All League
    Jetfan721,

Good post. I completely agree with your argument that Jets need their own stadium.

I think you will agree though, as long as they get their own stadium (in New York), we&#39;re all going to be happy. If they want to move to Queens, Bronx, Brooklyn, different location in NJ, Westchester or wherever....it&#39;d be better than what we got.

Hell, if the Giants move out and the Jets buy the rights to the current stadium, I&#39;d be happy with that.

Only time will tell.

jfbz

Originally posted by jetman67+Feb 16 2005, 09:49 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jetman67 @ Feb 16 2005, 09:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Jet-Zeppelin@Feb 16 2005, 09:44 PM
    Originally posted by jetman67@Feb 16 2005, 09:41 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin-Jetfan721

Get a clue. You think NY benefits from the Jets? I&#39;d say it&#39;s the other way around. They benefit from our large market. Why do you think both NJ teams kept thier NY tags?
    They left because NYC would not help with them having homes in NY. The Jets first lease was only for a few years in NJ. NYC still wanted nothing to do with a stadium because New Yorkers are too cheap. So the Jets extended the Meadowlands lease.

If this falls apart and the Jets stay in the meadowlands, they should leave NY totally and Just be the NJ JETS [/b][/quote]
    I&#39;ll be Jets fan either way.

The only problem I have with sharing a stadium is that we are second class citizens. I have no argument with that. Yet I still love going to games there.

If they could improve the building and get equal billing, then I&#39;d be happy.

A nice place in NY would be great too, but the Manhattan thing is being pushed, and IMO, it&#39;s not about the fans at all.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Originally posted by jetman67+Feb 16 2005, 07:41 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jetman67 @ Feb 16 2005, 07:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    <!--QuoteBegin-Jetfan721

If this deal falls apart, NYC DOES NOT DESERVE TO HAVE THE NYJ [/b][/quote]
    NYC doesn&#39;t deserve the Jets if Manhattan doesn&#39;t happen?

What are you in Kindergarten?

Please&#33;

If no Manhattan I want to know where the owner is going to build the Jets a NY stadium...because being in NY is so important to him.

Right?

Veteran
    Look I want the Jets in NY. And by NY I mean in westchester, LI, Queens wherever as long as they don&#39;t move to another part of the country. However regarding the westside stadium if means that 70% of the seats will be corporate and expensive like the garden keeping me the Blue Collar Jets fan out (too Expensive) than I rather stay in the meadowlands forever.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by TALKHOST+Feb 16 2005, 10:12 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TALKHOST @ Feb 16 2005, 10:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by jetman67@Feb 16 2005, 07:41 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin-Jetfan721

NYC doesn&#39;t deserve the Jets if Manhattan doesn&#39;t happen?

What are you in Kindergarten?

Please&#33;

If no Manhattan I want to know where the owner is going to build the Jets a NY stadium...because being in NY is so important to him.

Right? [/b][/quote]
    Until NY slaps the Jets in the face again. NY has failed on many occasions to do what any city needs to do to have major sports franchises.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER+Feb 16 2005, 07:09 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (THE_SOOTHSAYER @ Feb 16 2005, 07:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Jetfan721@Feb 16 2005, 02:02 PM

Todd: Awesome post. Hit the nail square on the head.

Some people just don&#39;t get it. [/b][/quote]
    you guys are all birds of a feather.... selfish?

get it through your skulls people want to tailgate. people want to be able to go with their kids to games. end of story.

you guys have your opinion, others have theirs.

todd go away