Thread: Mawae Charity Event

All League
    Me and Mathis81 took the train from NYC, got there just as it started. Couple short speeches from the head doctors, all thanking 68 for his desire to help their cause, then some words from Mawae himself.

He was decked out in his jersey, they had a little spread of cookies and sodas out, about 30-40 people there, some children patients too. Sooth was there too.

Once the drawing rolled around, most of the winners were not present and their stuff will be mailed out, so keep an eye on your mailbox.

The top prize (2 were drawn) went to one guy present, and one who wasnt there. The home game tix were won by a fan present. The away game package was won by somebody not there.

My number was drawn for an autographed NFL ball. Mathis81 won a door prize, which he went to accept, shook 68's hand, and then told him to donate it to one of the kids there. A very nice gesture, if I say so myself. They then held another drawing to give it away to a kid.

After all the gifts were drawn, Mawae sat down for a little autograph session and took pics with anybody who wanted.

Good time, good cause.

Veteran
    Thanks for the Update I was wondering how it went. Mawae sounds great and Props to Mathis.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

It was a great event and most importantly the charity raised over $40K for the cause. It's a cause that is very dear to me because both of my kids were born at Winthrop and the staff there was awesome both times.

Mawae is nothing short of a class act. He took time to get very personal with everyone who attended and stayed late to make sure everyone got an autograph.

Thanks again so much to all here who contributed. Based on what I was told last night, a large portion of the donations came from the people of JI. It's personally very rewarding to me that this place makes an impact on charities that help others. To all that helped, you should be very proud.

BTW: Brenda.... Kev was very dissapointed. He paid a bundle for a stalker strike team and you didn't even show.

Brenjetsfan
    Originally posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER@Feb 18 2005, 10:52 AM
    It was a great event and most importantly the charity raised over $40K for the cause. It's a cause that is very dear to me because both of my kids were born at Winthrop and the staff there was awesome both times.

Mawae is nothing short of a class act. He took time to get very personal with everyone who attended and stayed late to make sure everyone got an autograph.

Thanks again so much to all here who contributed. Based on what I was told last night, a large portion of the donations came from the people of JI. It's personally very rewarding to me that this place makes an impact on charities that help others. To all that helped, you should be very proud.

BTW: Brenda.... Kev was very dissapointed. He paid a bundle for a stalker strike team and you didn't even show.
    I am such a GREAT STALKER ....HE did not even notice me....we ended at HOFSTRA really really late...all that TRAFFIC on the LIE... :lol: gald I live in JERSEY

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

BTW: Stew...it was great seeing you and your brother again. Thanks for the goodie you gave me. I know there were others from here there too, unfortunatley since this is the internet, It didn't know who was who.

Thanks to all who came.

All League
    I thought the winner of the ticket package, with the Namath jersey, might have been a JI'er, but he was gone to fast afterwards to find out.