Thread: Warren may be traded by Crennel

Hall Of Fame
    Warren doesn't fit in Crennel's 3-4 scheme
    By Len Pasquarelli, ESPN.com

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Cleveland Browns have a new head coach and a new defensive scheme and it appears that combination means Gerard Warren will have a new home for the 2005 season.

The four-year veteran defensive tackle, who many feel has not fulfilled the potential that made him the third player chosen overall in the 2001 draft, has been granted permission to discuss possible trade scenarios with other franchises, ESPN.com has learned. Team officials, sources told ESPN.com, went so far as to apprise Warren and his agent via letter that they were free to seek out deals.

It is believed that agent Joel Segal has already received interest from several teams and will meet with officials from those clubs this weekend at the annual combine workouts being held here. Several general managers quickly surveyed here on Thursday evening acknowledged they would at least explore a possible trade for Warren.

"Has he been everything he was advertised to be coming out (of college)?" asked one general manager. "Hell, no, he hasn't. But he's still a 300-pound guy who can be very active at times. Go shake a tree and see how many of those kinds of guys fall out."

In such circumstances, a player's agent typically seeks out suitors, and then tells the incumbent club about any interest he generates. Permission to seek a trade does not often result in a deal but Warren could draw considerable interest, even given the perception he has frequently underachieved. It is not known what the Browns would seek in return for Warren, who has only one year remaining on his contract.

While it is not certain if Cleveland will release Warren should a trade not be completed, that is a strong likelihood, particularly with the direction of the defense under first-year head coach Romeo Crennel.

Cleveland will attempt to switch in 2005 to the 3-4 defensive front that Crennel favored during his stretch as the New England Patriots defensive coordinator. That switch alone jeopardized Warren's stint in Cleveland, since the former University of Florida standout is more a 4-3 interior player, and probably not suited to playing at nose tackle in a three-man front. Neither was it likely that Warren could have made the switch to end in a 3-4.

Often criticized because his modest statistics never approximated the huge investment that Cleveland had in him, Warren, nicknamed "Big Money," nonetheless will have value in the market.

Warren, 26, has appeared in 60 games and started all but one of them. He has recorded 152 tackles, 10 sacks, four forced fumbles and nine passes defensed.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com. To check out Len's chat archive, click here .

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Originally posted by Mean Bro Green@Feb 24 2005, 09:28 PM

"Has he been everything he was advertised to be coming out (of college)?" asked one general manager. "Hell, no, he hasn't. But he's still a 300-pound guy who can be very active at times. Go shake a tree and see how many of those kinds of guys fall out."

That is a friggn' classic line.

So true.

Banned
    Originally posted by PatsFanTX+Feb 24 2005, 09:30 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PatsFanTX @ Feb 24 2005, 09:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Mean Bro Green@Feb 24 2005, 09:28 PM

"Has he been everything he was advertised to be coming out (of college)?" asked one general manager. "Hell, no, he hasn&#39;t. But he&#39;s still a 300-pound guy who can be very active at times. Go shake a tree and see how many of those kinds of guys fall out."

That is a friggn&#39; classic line.

So true. [/b][/quote]
    Yep I remember you stating same about DRob his rookie season. :unsure:

Rookie
    Hey TX, i&#39;m sure we both can agree that they better hope for a severe upgrade in talent if they want that 3-4 to work there huh? IMO, that defense will take at least 2 years to be effective consistantly there.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Originally posted by chad101@Feb 24 2005, 09:35 PM

Yep I remember you stating same about DRob his rookie season. :unsure:

You are correct.

Have I changed my tune? :o

Banned
    Originally posted by PatsFanTX+Feb 24 2005, 09:30 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PatsFanTX @ Feb 24 2005, 09:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Mean Bro Green@Feb 24 2005, 09:28 PM

"Has he been everything he was advertised to be coming out (of college)?" asked one general manager. "Hell, no, he hasn&#39;t. But he&#39;s still a 300-pound guy who can be very active at times. Go shake a tree and see how many of those kinds of guys fall out."

So true. [/b][/quote]
    That sounds like the tuna&#39;s planet theory ...

There are only so many 300 Pound men on the planet who are athletic enough to excell in the NFL

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Originally posted by StillerPaul@Feb 24 2005, 09:36 PM
    Hey TX, i&#39;m sure we both can agree that they better hope for a severe upgrade in talent if they want that 3-4 to work there huh? IMO, that defense will take at least 2 years to be effective consistantly there.

First off Stiller, I was very surprised reading that article.

If RC thinks he is going to waltz into Cleveland and implement a 3-4 defense with the current personnel, then he is just asking for failure.

The 4-3 is much easier to employ, the 3-4 takes some specialized players (big load on the nose, athletic and quick LB&#39;s) to really make it work.

Hey, maybe RC is pulling a BB, and just blowing smoke to the media. :lol:

All League
    Sounds to me like Crennel will draft Derrick Johnson....

All Pro
    now, look here, the pats personell are the best at judging talent, if crenell doesnt ant him hes not good

Rookie
    Originally posted by PatsFanTX+Feb 24 2005, 08:41 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PatsFanTX @ Feb 24 2005, 08:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-StillerPaul@Feb 24 2005, 09:36 PM

If RC thinks he is going to waltz into Cleveland and implement a 3-4 defense with the current personnel, then he is just asking for failure.

The 4-3 is much easier to employ, the 3-4 takes some specialized players (big load on the nose, athletic and quick LB&#39;s) to really make it work.

Hey, maybe RC is pulling a BB, and just blowing smoke to the media. :lol: [/b][/quote]
    :lol: Could be.

I honestly don&#39;t know what all the fuss about the 3-4 is anyway.

I&#39;d bet that some 70 to 80% of us Steelers fans would just as soon have the 4-3.

I long for the days that we have 2 dominant tackles and bookend passrushers going full tilt and hitting the runner on the way to the QB.

All Pro
    Originally posted by StillerPaul+Feb 24 2005, 09:27 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (StillerPaul @ Feb 24 2005, 09:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by PatsFanTX@Feb 24 2005, 08:41 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin-StillerPaul
    @Feb 24 2005, 09:36 PM

I&#39;d bet that some 70 to 80% of us Steelers fans would just as soon have the 4-3.

I long for the days that we have 2 dominant tackles and bookend passrushers going full tilt and hitting the runner on the way to the QB. [/b][/quote]
    why so agsint he 4-3?

All Pro
    Originally posted by chad101+Feb 24 2005, 09:35 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (chad101 @ Feb 24 2005, 09:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by PatsFanTX@Feb 24 2005, 09:30 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin-Mean Bro Green
    @Feb 24 2005, 09:28 PM

So true.
    Yep I remember you stating same about DRob his rookie season. :unsure: [/b][/quote]
    Dude what are you taklking about? D Rob has had one below average season as a rookie, and one average season. Jet fans kill me, :lol: :lol: -payed for an average at best, player. :lol: :lol:

All Pro
    Originally posted by PatsFanTX+Feb 25 2005, 01:41 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PatsFanTX @ Feb 25 2005, 01:41 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-StillerPaul@Feb 24 2005, 09:36 PM

Hey, maybe RC is pulling a BB, and just blowing smoke to the media. :lol: [/b][/quote]
    I think RAC will slowly implement the 3-4 for the reasons you list.

He has small LBers and the Par&#036;ells/Belichick/Crennel version of the 3-4 calls for big LBers. He has little talent on the DL either.

Rookie
    Originally posted by arsenal1189+Feb 24 2005, 09:39 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (arsenal1189 @ Feb 24 2005, 09:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by StillerPaul@Feb 24 2005, 09:27 PM
    Originally posted by PatsFanTX@Feb 24 2005, 08:41 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin-StillerPaul
    @Feb 24 2005, 09:36 PM

I long for the days that we have 2 dominant tackles and bookend passrushers going full tilt and hitting the runner on the way to the QB.
    why so agsint he 4-3? [/b][/quote]
    I&#39;m against the 3-4. I view it as a smoke and mirrors system (well, the way Cowher runs it anyway). I prefer the natural 4 man rush with an occasional LB or S blitz added. It&#39;s very hard to get a LB past a Tackle when he is giving up better than 50 pounds in most cases unless his speed can get him around the guy. Most above average O-lines can keep your passrush in check allowing their QB time to get over the confusion of the zone blitz and find the open guy.