Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: STOP THE MADNESS!!

Banned
    March Madness, my @$$ ... this thing is the biggest media hype since Al Capone's vault

I have actually seen, in my lifetime, the media take an event that nobody gave two $hits about, and turn it into something people cannot stop talking about

How did that happen?

I'm being dead serious ... when I was in H.S. no-one {NO-ONE!!} even knew when this event was being played ... I mean, I cannot recall ONE SPORTS CONVERSATION from my entire youth {and I had millions of them} where the NCAA Basketball tournament was even mentioned

How is that possible?

How did we go from there to here?

How did we go from an event that I didn't even know existed in my youth to what has now become 24/7 March Media Madness?

And don't kid yourself ... those 70's NCAA tournament highlights they now show on ESPN Classics and elsewhere ... NOBODY SAW THEM when they actually happened, and less than nobody gave a $hit ... I KNOW, BECAUSE I WAS THERE

Man how I miss those days ... when we talked football and baseball all year long ... maybe a little NHL and NBA ... but some hump college basketball thing was not even a footnote on my Granddaddies @$$

But I digress

All League
    Oh I get it you don't like college basketball :lol:

J/kidding bro....but for real the Ncaa tourney is very exciting.

And before I forget GO CUSE

Veteran
    Wanna talk about media hype...how about the superbowl....its the mecca of media hype. Nothing like a 6 hr pregame show sponsored by quiznos. Granted i'd take the superbowl any day over NCAA tourney.

Veteran
    Those highlights from yesteryear that you mentioned that nobody saw is the reason everybody pays attention now. The BIG UPSET takes place every year in the first weekend of the tourney, after that nobody really watches.

Also, gambling is what helps push this on everyone. Brackets, pools, striaghtup game bets, etc...much the reason the NFL has succeeded. Anybody who is anybody gets involved in a bracket pool and a super bowl pool, whether they follow the sport/league or not.

Banned
    Originally posted by Chase@Mar 14 2005, 02:55 PM
    Oh I get it you don't like college basketball :lol:
    This has become my worst time of the year as a sports fan ... every March I have to wait for this dopey basketball tounament to mercifully end so the media will begin to focus on what matters again

Super*****/Prom Queen
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham+Mar 14 2005, 04:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Green Jets & Ham @ Mar 14 2005, 04:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Chase@Mar 14 2005, 02:55 PM
    Oh I get it you don&#39;t like college basketball :lol:
    This has become my worst time of the year as a sports fan ... every March I have to wait for this dopey basketball tounament to mercifully end so the media will begin to focus on what matters again [/b][/quote]
    What are you trying to do Ham, put all the hard working bookies out of business? Lord knows they took quite a financial hit with the hockey season being cancelled.

Hall Of Fame
    This has become my worst time of the year as a sports fan ... every March I have to wait for this dopey basketball tounament to mercifully end so the media will begin to focus on what matters again
    Ham,

I like and respect you as a poster but this is one of the first things we agree on in a LONG time.

I absolutely cannot stand this time of year. NCAA Basketball and this tourney does not interest me in the slightest.

Angry

Veteran

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@Mar 14 2005, 02:50 PM

I&#39;m being dead serious ... when I was in H.S. no-one {NO-ONE&#33;&#33;} even knew when this event was being played ... I mean, I cannot recall ONE SPORTS CONVERSATION from my entire youth {and I had millions of them} where the NCAA Basketball tournament was even mentioned

Hammer, back then the NIT had more clout and prestige than the NCAA tourney.

Rookie
    College hoops is my second favorite sport to follow (NFL is #1) and here&#39;s why.

1. Gambling (as already mentioned)
    2. Games only take @ 2 hrs. I seriously can&#39;t even remember the last time I watched a full baseball game. 3 1/2 -4 hrs is just too long to keep my interest.
    3. The underdog gets a shot. Everyone loves a good underdog story. I went to a small school from a mid major conferrence. I wasn&#39;t in college yet, but the last time they won an NCAA tourny game was 1989. Alumni still talk about that game like it was the superbowl. Just winning one tournament game probably means as much to a small school as winning the national championship means to Duke, UNC or any other big school.

All League
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham+Mar 14 2005, 03:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Green Jets & Ham @ Mar 14 2005, 03:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Chase@Mar 14 2005, 02:55 PM
    This has become my worst time of the year as a sports fan ... every March I have to wait for this dopey basketball tounament to mercifully end so the media will begin to focus on what matters again [/b][/quote]
    This is the BEST time of the year, NOTHINg comes close to the NCAA Tournament- not the World Series, the NFL playoffs or anything else. It is by far the best sporting event of the year.

You are right, nobody really cared in the 70s but it exploded after Magic and MSU beat Bird and Indiana State in 1979 then it continued w/ isiah, Jordan, Ewing,... and has just gotten bigger every year.

All League
    Originally posted by PatsFanTX+Mar 14 2005, 03:09 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PatsFanTX @ Mar 14 2005, 03:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Green Jets & Ham@Mar 14 2005, 02:50 PM

I&#39;m being dead serious ... when I was in H.S. no-one {NO-ONE&#33;&#33;} even knew when this event was being played ... I mean, I cannot recall ONE SPORTS CONVERSATION from my entire youth {and I had millions of them} where the NCAA Basketball tournament was even mentioned

Hammer, back then the NIT had more clout and prestige than the NCAA tourney. [/b][/quote]
    Not in the 70s, that was more in the 40s and 50s, late 50s-early 60s is when the NCAA Tourney became the Tourney and I think way back when teams played in both.

Banned
    Originally posted by nyjunc+Mar 14 2005, 03:28 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (nyjunc &#064; Mar 14 2005, 03:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@Mar 14 2005, 03:00 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin-Chase
    @Mar 14 2005, 02:55 PM

This is the BEST time of the year, NOTHINg comes close to the NCAA Tournament- not the World Series, the NFL playoffs or anything else. It is by far the best sporting event of the year.

You are right, nobody really cared in the 70s but it exploded after Magic and MSU beat Bird and Indiana State in 1979 then it continued w/ isiah, Jordan, Ewing,... and has just gotten bigger every year. [/b][/quote]
    Well you&#39;re right about the second part ... and I&#39;ll betcha you don&#39;t have more than two or three childhood friends {TOPS&#33;&#33;} who watched the 79 NCAA finals live?

ME ... I don&#39;t have one childhood friend who watched that game live, NOT ONE, and all of my childhood friends were rabid sports fans

But you&#39;re right, Junc ... that&#39;s pretty much where it started to take off ... after the 79 finals

Practice Squad
    Originally posted by nyjunc@Mar 14 2005, 03:28 PM

this thread is hating a little too much on the tourney, so I just had to add that I completely agree with you on that one.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    College Basketball is no better, and no more important or interesting, than minor league baseball.

If you want to watch the JV, watch college (in ANY sport). Want to watch the real deal, watch the Pro game.

All Pro
    College basketball is great..much better than the pro game. MUCH. For me, college hoops is right behind football.

Veteran
    Originally posted by Warfish@Mar 14 2005, 03:52 PM
    College Basketball is no better, and no more important or interesting, than minor league baseball.

If you want to watch the JV, watch college (in ANY sport). Want to watch the real deal, watch the Pro game.
    I&#39;m not a big basketball fan at all, but the NCAA tourney is something I enjoy. Mostly because of the brackets, upsets, small schools, passion, and fans.

Everything about the NBA makes me friggen sick. Gangsters on all teams, David Stern is a pompous tool, no team play, one on one crap, no enthusiasm from anyone on the court or in the stands. The NBA pales in comparison to the NCAA.

Veteran
    Originally posted by Warfish@Mar 14 2005, 02:52 PM

I don&#39;t know what&#39;s more naseating, Warfish, your opinions as expressed above or the fact that you&#39;ve got a Nats graphic attached.

Anyone who argues that NBA basketball is better than the college game should be drawn and quartered in public.

And at the height of irony--you diss minor league baseball but root for the Nats... :o

Veteran
    Originally posted by Kotch+Mar 14 2005, 03:01 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Kotch @ Mar 14 2005, 03:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Warfish@Mar 14 2005, 02:52 PM

I don&#39;t know what&#39;s more naseating, Warfish, your opinions as expressed above or the fact that you&#39;ve got a Nats graphic attached.

Anyone who argues that NBA basketball is better than the college game should be drawn and quartered in public.

And at the height of irony--you diss minor league baseball but root for the Nats... :o [/b][/quote]
    Well...I guess a good comeback would be that my spelling is more nauseating.

Damn.

The NCAA tourney took off when the conferences like the Big East came into play.
    Plus back in the 70&#39;s I think the field was only 32 teams?? I think they expanded to 64 in 1985 Could be wrong.
    The real driving force was ESPN and there coverage of the Thursday/Friday games. From noon till midnight you have game after game. Of course once it became as popular as it it now CBS gobbled up the whole package.