Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: ABE REJECTS FRANCHISE TENDER

Rookie
    Abraham not a lock to be in NY
    By Dan Leberfeld
    Date: Mar 15, 2005

The John Abraham story took an unexpected turn.

When the Jets made their star defensive end the franchise player this off-season, it was thought to be a given he would sign a one-year deal for $6.6 million, the average salary of the top five players at his position.
    Not so fast.

Abraham has decided not to sign the deal, and will spend the next few months attempting to get a lucrative deal from another club. If he's able to do that, the Jets can either match that offer, or receiver two first round picks from the club that signs Abraham.
    ----------

we could sure use the picks and have proved we can win without him

I hope some stupid team (Dallas or the Raiders) jumps on this. I'll take 2 #1's for a guy who is lucky to play 2/3 of a season

Originally posted by chrismayone@Mar 15 2005, 10:23 PM
    By Dan Leberfeld

When the Jets made their star defensive end the franchise player this off-season, it was thought to be a given he would sign a one-year deal for $6.6 million, the average salary of the top five players at his position.
    Not so fast.

Abraham has decided not to sign the deal, and will spend the next few months attempting to get a lucrative deal from another club. If he's able to do that, the Jets can either match that offer, or receiver two first round picks from the club that signs Abraham.
    ----------

Well, I know this is the typical responce to news like this, but I gotta say it anyway.

Link?

Mayone is just on fire with the updates tonite!

Originally posted by thegreatmoblin+Mar 15 2005, 11:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (thegreatmoblin @ Mar 15 2005, 11:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-chrismayone@Mar 15 2005, 10:23 PM
    By Dan Leberfeld

When the Jets made their star defensive end the franchise player this off-season, it was thought to be a given he would sign a one-year deal for &#036;6.6 million, the average salary of the top five players at his position.
    Not so fast.

Abraham has decided not to sign the deal, and will spend the next few months attempting to get a lucrative deal from another club. If he&#39;s able to do that, the Jets can either match that offer, or receiver two first round picks from the club that signs Abraham.
    ----------

Well, I know this is the typical responce to news like this, but I gotta say it anyway.

Link? [/b][/quote]
    Believe it. He&#39;s not Jack the ripper or that other Coles dude.

Veteran
    no way...... :[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='mad.gif' /> :[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='mad.gif' /> what a prick&#33;&#33;

Rookie
    Originally posted by thegreatmoblin+Mar 15 2005, 10:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (thegreatmoblin @ Mar 15 2005, 10:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-chrismayone@Mar 15 2005, 10:23 PM
    By Dan Leberfeld

When the Jets made their star defensive end the franchise player this off-season, it was thought to be a given he would sign a one-year deal for &#036;6.6 million, the average salary of the top five players at his position.
    Not so fast.

Abraham has decided not to sign the deal, and will spend the next few months attempting to get a lucrative deal from another club. If he&#39;s able to do that, the Jets can either match that offer, or receiver two first round picks from the club that signs Abraham.
    ----------

Link? [/b][/quote]
    Jets confidental home page

All League
    Originally posted by chrismayone@Mar 15 2005, 10:23 PM
    By Dan Leberfeld

link, please.

Rookie
    Originally posted by MickeyShuler+Mar 15 2005, 10:27 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MickeyShuler @ Mar 15 2005, 10:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by thegreatmoblin@Mar 15 2005, 11:25 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin-chrismayone
    @Mar 15 2005, 10:23 PM
    By Dan Leberfeld

Not so fast.

----------

Link?
    Believe it. He&#39;s not Jack the ripper or that other Coles dude. [/b][/quote]
    Mayone has no life

If this is true, I wouldn&#39;t be sad, as long as we get at least a mid-high 1st rounder. I know that JAbe hasn&#39;t been the healthiest DE in the league, but just wait and see. One of these seasons, he is going to go injury free and the real beast in him is going to show.

Maybe to the rams for Pace? I would be happy with that actually.

Rookie
    Originally posted by jetgreen13+Mar 15 2005, 10:28 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jetgreen13 @ Mar 15 2005, 10:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-chrismayone@Mar 15 2005, 10:23 PM
    By Dan Leberfeld

link, please. [/b][/quote]
    http://jets.scout.com/

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Hate to say it, but this could be a monkey-wrench for us in 2005. Our success last year was undoubtedly due to our improved defense....that defense was anchored by our front line. Without Fergie and Abe, I&#39;d be worried

Originally posted by thegreatmoblin@Mar 15 2005, 11:29 PM
    If this is true, I wouldn&#39;t be sad, as long as we get at least a mid-high 1st rounder. I know that JAbe hasn&#39;t been the healthiest DE in the league, but just wait and see. One of these seasons, he is going to go injury free and the real beast in him is going to show.

He&#39;s franchised. You would get two first&#39;s. Why would you take a less?

Rookie
    Originally posted by thegreatmoblin@Mar 15 2005, 10:29 PM

I see it as we have 3 holes, if we can fill 2 of them via picks we are better off with BT starting at DE and getting the drunk outta town

All League
    Interesting thread. I wonder if Abe hears the sweet swansong of the Tuna. (You know...like a cow in heat) :blink: It appears the Darren Howard deal is falling apart fast. What would you say to picking up Dallas&#39;s no 12 pick this year and their first next year.

All Pro
    Good job posting this info mayone.

I say trade him, get two number ones if possible and draft Demarcus Ware to replace him.

All League
    Oh great. The Jets are going to get smart again with a RFA. If the Jets lose Abraham, they will NOT make the playoffs next season.

So they get 2 first round picks in a bad draft, great.

The Jets have put a lot of their eggs in the Abraham basket. They can&#39;t let him get away now for 2 measly first round picks.

Match whatever offer he gets.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Originally posted by WestCoastMole@Mar 15 2005, 11:30 PM
    Interesting thread. I wonder if Abe hears the sweet swansong of the Tuna. (You know...like a cow in heat) :blink: It appears the Darren Howard deal is falling apart what would you say to picking up Dallas&#39;s no 12 pick this year and their first next year.
    Wouldn&#39;t the two first&#39;s have to be for the same season-- meaning they&#39;d both be for April&#39;s draft?

Rookie
    Originally posted by WestCoastMole@Mar 15 2005, 10:30 PM
    Interesting thread. I wonder if Abe hears the sweet swansong of the Tuna. (You know...like a cow in heat) :blink: It appears the Darren Howard deal is falling apart fast. What would you say to picking up Dallas&#39;s no 12 pick this year and their first next year.
    I am fine w that, we could get our choice of Tackles with the pick

Originally posted by WestCoastMole@Mar 15 2005, 11:30 PM
    Interesting thread. I wonder if Abe hears the sweet swansong of the Tuna. (You know...like a cow in heat) :blink: It appears the Darren Howard deal is falling apart what would you say to picking up Dallas&#39;s no 12 pick this year and their first next year.
    I would say sign me up. Thomas I think will be further improved this year and if we can find a stud with that pick, corner or DT, I think we would actually be stronger on D.
    Then we&#39;d actually get another #1 next year and with big D sure to suck, it should be a top 10.