Thread: Jets 1 of 3 with 0 2001 picks on Roster

Undrafted Free Agent
    Basically here is an article talking about the Titans but it mentions that the Jets are 1of 3 NFL teams to have Zero of their 2001 draft picks still on their roster. Now maybe I am wrong but I thought James Reed was still around. Plus, the rest of the players played well but wanted gigantic paydays so we had no choice but to let them walk. Any thoughts?

http://www.tennessean.com/sports/titans/ar...ent_ID=67535612

Rd Sel# Player Pos. School
    1 16 Santana Moss WR Miami
    2 49 LaMont Jordan RB Maryland
    3 79 Kareem McKenzie T Penn State
    4 101 Jamie Henderson CB Georgia
    7 206 James Reed NT Iowa State
    7 217 Tupe Peko G Michigan State

All Pro
    Originally posted by Sirk55@Mar 29 2005, 09:20 AM
    Basically here is an article talking about the Titans but it mentions that the Jets are 1of 3 NFL teams to have Zero of their 2001 draft picks still on their roster. Now maybe I am wrong but I thought James Reed was still around. Plus, the rest of the players played well but wanted gigantic paydays so we had no choice but to let them walk. Any thoughts?

http://www.tennessean.com/sports/titans/ar...ent_ID=67535612

Rd Sel# Player Pos. School
    1 16 Santana Moss WR Miami
    2 49 LaMont Jordan RB Maryland
    3 79 Kareem McKenzie T Penn State
    4 101 Jamie Henderson CB Georgia
    7 206 James Reed NT Iowa State
    7 217 Tupe Peko G Michigan State
    Reed is currently an unrestricted FA, so technically is not on the Jets roster. I hope they do resign him though.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Being that we had 4 first round picks the year before, its not surprising that we don't have anyone from the 2001 draft on the team. Moss would still be on the team if he wasn't traded. And being that we have Coles signed for several years, we do in fact have some value from the draft.

All Pro
    This is the most misleading topic I`ve ever seen posted.It would be 1 thing if these players were bust,but they were all solid picks by Bradway. 4 yrs Later,when it`s about right to judge a draft,that fact is undisputable.

Santana,Traded in his walk yr to aquire a better receiving option.

LaMont became so valuable,both the Jets and another team offered Unprecedented $ for a Player who`s never started an NFL game.

McKenzie became a sloid RT for the Jets,and Manuvered that into a huge Payday for Himself in Freeagency.

Hendersonwas an up and coming DB who suffered off the field injury that treatens his Football career.

Reed,made a nitch for himself as a solid backup DT who shows ability to get to the QB.URFA.

Peko was stolen from the Jets Practice squad by the Colts and has since become a fixture in the Colts offensive Line.

Somethings can`t be helped,and all this draft shows is the great Job Bradway has done picking quality NFL players.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Moss was traded for Coles - which is a better move than the Titans trading McCareins for the right to select Travis LeBoy

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by Tinstar@Mar 29 2005, 09:51 AM
    This is the most misleading topic I`ve ever seen posted.
    ... what is your point in posting this -55 ? ... if you are trying to say that the results of this draft are a perfect example of the difficult choices that you must make due to salary-cap repercussions i agree ...

... other than that, it has no bearing on anything...

l_j_r

JetsInsider.com Legend
    also misleading about that stat is the JETS have 3 2000 first rounders currently on the roster getting 47 milliion in guarunteed money this year to make it happen

- if the JETS only had 1 first round pick that year (like most teams) more likely than not at least one of the top 3 2001 picks would still be on the roster -

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I agree. This is one of those facts that seem to make a point and fill off-season article space, but you can't look at one year in isolation. A draft year is affected by other factors. Did you stock pile picks in other years? Did you get anything for those players?

ALL that really matters is your roster. It's interesting to see how they were built but ONE draft year means squat without the big picture.

All Pro
    This is the most misleading topic I`ve ever seen posted.It would be 1 thing if these players were bust,but they were all solid picks by Bradway. 4 yrs Later,when it`s about right to judge a draft,that fact is undisputable.

I totally agree and that's exactly what I was thinking too. All these players that we lost are after years of playing for the JETS and are also pretty good players too.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Seriously....one must factor in getting Lavaraneus Coles back for one of the '01 draftees and wait to see which players we choose with the comp picks the Jets receive in the '06 draft.

All Pro
    Tough to rip the 2001 draft, which was actually pretty top notch. Moss had one pro bowl-type season and was traded for a guy the same age who's had two pro bowl type seasons. So that pick will continue to help us this year.

Jordan played a huge role in several wins last season and may net us as much as a second rounder in compensation if he has a big year. And McKenzie started for us for three years. Plus Tank Reed, who could be back, is a nice role player. (And so was Henderson before his accident.)

That's a pretty good draft and it had a lot to do with our success in '02 and '04.

Now the book is still out on the '02 draft, which hasn't helped us much. But Bradway is no worse than 2/3, if you ask me.