Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: YJF'S 2005 MOCK DRAFT

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

This is a warm up leading up to my mock draft of the 1st round with trades and then the big 7 round mock that I always do close to the draft. So here goes:

-YJF'S 2005 MOCK DRAFT-1ST ROUND-

1-San Fransisco 49ers-Aaron Rodgers-QB-California
    (This is going to be a flip of the coin between Smith and Rodgers. Both players fit the west coast offense. I think that The Niners feel that Rodgers is more pro ready because he played in more of a pro style offense in college. Being a local hero doesn't hurt.)

2-Miami Dolphins-Ronnie Brown-RB-Auburn
    (The Fish need an explosive RB that they can center their offense around. Brown fits that bill.)

3-Cleveland Browns- Shawne Merriman-OLB/DE-Maryland
    (I don't think that The Browns are staying here. They will most likely trade down but if they stay. I see them taking Merriman instead of Derrick Johnson because Merriman fits The Browns new 3-4 under Romeo better than Johnson. Merriman can line up as an edge rusher in either The 3-4 or 4-3. Romeo needs a big pass rusher for his scheme that has the versatility to play up or down on the outside.)

4-Chicago Bears- Braylon Edwards-WR-Michigan
    (The Bears were the weakest team in football last year at their skill positions. They need a home run threat who can bring the big play into their offense. With Braylon and Muhammad. Rex Grossman will have the weapons neccesary to succeed.)

5-Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Alex Smith-QB-Utah
    (Bucs can go in many directions here. They tend to be a little wacky under Gruden and Bruce Allen. QB is not a dire need with Griese and Simms but Gruden is QB crazy and Smith is the perfect brainiac for Gruden's offensive scheme and will be tutored by Paul Hackett. Just seems like a good fit.)

6-Tennnessee Titans-Mike Williams-WR-USC
    (Mike Williams goes to the perfect situation. Back to his former offensive coordinator, Norm Chow. Tennessee is going to be a pass happy team next year and Mike Williams is truly a "Titan" at WR. Williams, Bennett and Calico will be one of the league's most feared trios at WR. All 3 will start in Chow's wacky scheme.)

7-Minnesota Vikings-Derrick Johnson-LB-Texas
    (I don't see The Vikes staying here. They want one of the big two WR's but if they stay here. They will take Johnson if the board falls this way. It would be the final piece to their defense.)

8-Arizona Cardinals-Carnell "Cadilac" Williams-RB-Auburn
    (If a Travis Henry deal happens. This won't be the pick. Cardinals new offensive coordinator Keith Rowen brings The KC offense to Zona. Carnell is a very good fit for that scheme.)

9-Washington Redskins-Antrel Rolle-CB-Miami
    (Amazing value at 9. Skins get lucky for a change. With the losses of Champ Bailey and Fred Smoot the last two years. Skins are desperate for a CB. Rolle is the perfect fit for Gregg Williams 46 defense. Rolle reunites with Sean Taylor and revels in playing on an island in this scheme.)

10-Detroit Lions-Alex Barron-OT-Florida State
    (The Lions have gotten mediocre play the last few years from The OT position. Barron is a great fit for Detroit's west coast offense. He will protect Joey Harrington and or Jeff Garcia's backside.)

11-Dallas Cowboys-DeMarcus Ware-OLB/DE-Troy
    (Another perfect marriage. Dallas is desperate for a pass rusher. Ware can play in The 4-3 at DE and in The 3-4 as a pass rushing OLB.)

12-San Diego Chargers-Jammal Brown-OT-Oklahoma
    (This is a team that is in the market for a WR and or a pass rusher in their 3-4 but with the big two WR's off the block and Ware and Merriman gone. They will hit another area. OT. Chargers made due with their average line last year but with o-line coach. Hudson Houck gone. Jammal Brown brings a dominant player into the fold at OT.)

13-Houston Texans-Cedric Benson-RB-Texas
    (The Texans take a Luxury pick here. They don't really need another RB with Domanick Davis but with Both top lineman gone and both top pass rushing OLB's gone. Texans are not really too comfortable with Domanick Davis. They feel he is a serviceable back but they see a power back like Benson here as an upgrade.)

14-Carolina Panthers-Khalif Barnes-OT-Washington
    (First semi-reach of this draft. Panthers are a team that will look to trade. Panthers are looking to move Jordan Gross back to RT. They have been scouting Barnes heavily who is a great athlete at LT. Panthers need OT help in the worst way, especially on Delhomme's blind side.)

15-Kansas City Chiefs-Erasmus James-DE-Wisconsin
    (Chiefs are in a nice position to nab a quality DB off the board but with the signing of Sammy Knight at safety and the potential arrivals of Ty Law or Patrick Surtain or both. Chiefs go pass rush here.)

16-New Orleans Saints-Carlos Rogers-CB-Auburn
    (After years of ignoring CB in the first round of their drafts. Saints grab a real good one here. Rogers can team with Mike McKenzie and finally help solve The Saints pass defensive woes.)

17-Cincinatti Bengals-Thomas Davis-S-Georgia
    ( Bengals are in desperate need of a big strong physical strong safety who can be a force against the run and intimidate opposing WR's over the middle. Davis fits the bill here.)

18-Minnesota Vikings-Troy Williamson-WR-South Carolina
    (It remains to be seen if Minny even has this pick come draft day. But if they hold on, They are taking a WR. Williamson is a home run threat that is now gone from Minny since Randy Moss was traded.)

19-St. Louis Rams-Justin Miller-CB-Clemson
    (Rams were last in the league in interceptions last year. Miller solves the problem. He also gives The Rams a dynamic kick returner.)

20-Dallas Cowboys- Marcus Spears-DE/DT-LSU
    (Another player who is the perfect fit for The 3-4. Spears is a 300 pound defensive lineman who can play inside in The 4-3 and at DE in The 3-4. Richard Seymour type player. Gives Dallas a widebody who can hold up at the point of attack next to Jason Ferguson and DeMarcus Ware.)

21-Jacksonville Jaguars-Adam Jones-CB-West Virginia
    (Jags cut two of their veteran CB's. Their front 7 is already in place. They need speed in the secondary. That's what "Pac Man" provides.)

22-Baltimore Ravens-Mark Clayton-WR-Oklahoma
    (Ravens are dead serious about getting Kyle Boller help. With Mason now at WR and Heap and Jamal Lewis back. Clayton rounds out that crew as help on the other side for Mason.)

23-Seattle Seahawks-Fabian Washington-CB-Nebraska
    (Seattle has lost Shawn Springs and Ken Lucas the last two years. Ray Rhodes likes to leave his CB's out on island. Fabian's 4.2 speed is ideal for that.)

24-Green Bay Packers-Matt Roth-DE-Iowa
    (Packers defense was soft last year. Lacked toughness. Got smacked around. Roth is the ideal fit to change that. Roth gives KGB help on the other side and brings a much needed toughness to new d-coordinator Jim Bates scheme.)

25-Denver Broncos-Brodney Pool-FS-Oklahoma
    (Broncos have lost Kenoy Kennedy and were victimized by teams last year because of their lack of speed at safety. Kenoy and John Lynch were too simliar in the box players who couldn't help in coverage. Pool is tall and very fast and helps Denver take care of their coverage problem at safety.)

26-New York Jets-Marlin Jackson-CB-Michigan
    (The Jets have a tough call here. They can go best available DT or Heath Miller at TE. In the end, The Jets want a player in the secondary that can have the same type of leadership impact that Vilma had at LB. Jackson is a 6'1 instinctive DB with 4.4 speed. A better version of Gary Baxter for Donnie's defense. Like Baxter, Jackson can play S if need be.)

27-Atlanta Falcons-Mike Patterson-DT-USC
    (This is a player that will sneak into the first round because of the style of player he is and the fit that he represents for Atlanta. This is The Ed Donatell to Pete Carrol connection working here. Patterson has John Randle type skill at DT in The 3 technique used by Atlanta. This pick will either be Shaun Cody or Mike Patterson. I'm taking a gamble here and saying that Donatell banks on Patterson's upside.)

28-San Diego Chargers-David Pollack-OLB/DE-Georgia
    (The Chargers have a superb run defense with Jamal Williams and Donnie Edwards inside. Chargers biggest weakness is their lack of a pass rush. Pollack fits this area in Wade Phillips 3-4 defense.)

29-Indianapolis Colts-Daryl Blackstock-LB-Virginia
    (The Colts love picking great athletes. Colts are in desperate need of LB with the departure/losses of Marcus Washington etc. Colts need serious help in their front 7 stopping the run. Blackstock will play the weakside in the 4-3 and run to the ball.)

30-Pittsburgh Steelers-Heath Miller-TE-Virginia
    (Steelers could go pass rush or secondary help here. Big Ben needs another target in the passing game. Miller is a very good blocker and excellent pass catcher. Makes it harder for opposing teams to defend Steeler WR's and gives Roethlisberger an extra security blanket.)

31-Philadelphia Eagles-Dan Cody-DE-Oklahoma
    (The Eagles are fixated on always drafting to improve their team upfront. With the loss of Derrick Burgess. Cody can step right in and play DE in place of him.)

32-New England Patriots-Barrett Ruud-MLB-Nebraska
    (No question that The Pats need to upgrade their back 7 on defense. The d-line is young and solid. LB's are getting up there in age. Ruud is a cerebral LB with leadership skills. Sounds like a Pats player to me.)

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Not one response. :o

Guess noone likes Marlin Jackson. :lol:

Banned
    if still there..the bucs will take mike williams...they need a big time reciever like him. no reason to pick up a 3rd qb with no reciever to throw to.

Veteran
    Great mock. Good, cogent writing explaining your thought process.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by regen@Mar 31 2005, 09:42 PM
    Great mock. Good, cogent writing explaining your thought process.
    Thanks.

Thanks for taking the time to read it and responding. I know that over 100 people read it. I put alot of thinking and time into it.

Veteran
    Nice write up... Are you speculating that Pac-Man Jones is going to be hurt by the rumors he failed the drug test? #21 seems really late for someone that was thought to go in the top 10.

Rookie
    I like the Marlin pick... He seems to be the most realistic option come April 23rd. It looks as if he will be the best DB available on the board, unless Miller falls to us. But Marlin is a great pick nonetheless.

All League
    love reading mock drafts, don't know a thing about college football.

Isn't there a forum for this nonsense

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by Miracle In The Meadowlands@Mar 31 2005, 10:30 PM
    Nice write up... Are you speculating that Pac-Man Jones is going to be hurt by the rumors he failed the drug test? #21 seems really late for someone that was thought to go in the top 10.
    I have alot of DB's going in the first round.

Rolle and Rogers will be the first two to go at CB.

Thomas Davis will be the top safety selected but he's at a hybrid position where a 3-4 team might take him and put him at OLB. Brodney Pool is the next safety to go. Most natural cover safety of the bunch.

After Rolle and Rogers at CB. It's a crapshoot.

Between Justin Miller, Adam Jones, Fabian Washington and Marlin Jackson at CB.

All 4 will probably go in the first round. Rising fast is Stanley Wilson, whom alot of teams like.

As for Adam Jones. Teams are up and down on him. The drug test and his character could be a factor. He has great straight line speed but he's not a polished product. He will go in The 15 to 25 range most likely barring some unforseen off the field stuff.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Originally posted by Chrisrud@Mar 31 2005, 03:36 PM
    Isn't there a forum for this nonsense
    How is the draft nonsense? We've got some major holes to fill; and if you're not excited about it, just think about the studs we got in last years draft (Vilma and Coleman for example); that should be enough to get any Jet fan excited.

All Pro
    Originally posted by Buzzsaw+Mar 31 2005, 06:49 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Buzzsaw @ Mar 31 2005, 06:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Chrisrud@Mar 31 2005, 03:36 PM
    Isn&#39;t there a forum for this nonsense
    How is the draft nonsense? We&#39;ve got some major holes to fill; and if you&#39;re not excited about it, just think about the studs we got in last years draft (Vilma and Coleman for example); that should be enough to get any Jet fan excited. [/b][/quote]
    agreed

All League
    Originally posted by YoungJetsFan@Mar 31 2005, 07:03 PM
    As for Adam Jones. Teams are up and down on him. The drug test and his character could be a factor. He has great straight line speed but he&#39;s not a polished product. He will go in The 15 to 25 range most likely barring some unforseen off the field stuff.
    I believe the recent stuff about the drug test were proved to be false.

All Pro
    Drafting Marlin would cause nothing but most of these guys on this board to THINK that the front office is stupid, except I. I would welcome Marlin with open arms after watching him in all his years as a STAR at Michigan. But then again, I am a Michigan fan for College Football, so I&#39;m a little biased towards my Blue and Maize.

All League
    Hey Jetsfan, did you go to Michigan??? Your avatar makes me think your a Boise State Broncos fan.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by JetsFanInSec124@Apr 1 2005, 12:04 AM
    Drafting Marlin would cause nothing but most of these guys on this board to THINK that the front office is stupid, except I. I would welcome Marlin with open arms after watching him in all his years as a STAR at Michigan. But then again, I am a Michigan fan for College Football, so I&#39;m a little biased towards my Blue and Maize.
    It&#39;s going to be a tough call for The Jets.

Stay at 26 and take The best available DT.

Stay at 26 and take the best available DB. Which I think is Jackson if the board falls this way.

Stay at 26 and draft TE-Heath Miller. (Which I would be cool with)

or trade down and get extra picks.

Since this is a mock draft with no trades. I think, The Jets will stay and take the best available DB. They address TE, OT and DT later.

Practice Squad
    Nice mock draft. Can&#39;t complain because I feel the same way about Marlin and the possibility of taking Heath Miller instead. Good work putting it all together.

I would agree with both of your top 3 choices, as would probably most people. Im surprised I havent actually heard of the Brown trying to move to get Philip Rivers from the Chargers in exchange for this pick. Leads me to think there is about zero chance of them taking a QB like many expect. I&#39;d be tossed up on the Bears between taking Williams at RB or Edwards at WR. I do not think they will take Mike Williams with that pick....I dont think Gruden will take a QB. I think he is perfectly happy with the two guys he has. If C. Williams is available he will be a Buc next season. If not I think they take Mike Williams....The Titans I think will be drooling if Williams is available when they pick. Otherwise I think they take Braylon Edwards or think of moving down if both WRs are off the board....Agree on the Vikings pick...I have no idea what direction the Cardinals will go in. I could see them taking Alex Smith, but more likely I think they will take Cedric Benson even though he may not warrant a pick there...I would agree that Gibbs is taking Rolle, who should be around there. He could get cute and take Smith if he is around, but Gibbs I doubt is thinking long term here and maybe hasnt given up on Ramsey yet...If the Lions dont take Barron Im not sure what they could be doing...I see Dallas taking Erasmus James...If the Chargers dont move up I agree with the pick...I think Houston will take Ware and the Chiefs will go for Rogers...The Saints make Davis their pick...I am tempted to say that the Bengals could think of taking Williamson with their pick, even though they should have enough WRs. Marcus Spears is the smarter choice....Rams go for Matt Roth rather than a CB...If the Cowboys dont deal I think they take Clayton to help fill out their offense...Jags will be taking Pac Man...I agree the Ravens will reach at WR, but I think Clayton is gone so Im not sure who...Seattle may take Justin Miller....Green Bay will be taking Dan Cody, though if nobody has taken Alex Smith maybe they take Favre. I really have a suspicion one QB is going to fall very far....I think we will take Fabian Washington over Jackson, though I would be happy with either...Interesting choice for Atlanta. Definitely a possibility....You think the Steelers will go for Miller to give Ben another target? Could happen, though I could just as easily see them taking Marlin Jackson...If the Pats see a CB around they will pick him, if not Id agree with your choice...Looking forward to the one with trades...

I would agree with both of your top 3 choices, as would probably most people. Im surprised I havent actually heard of the Brown trying to move to get Philip Rivers from the Chargers in exchange for this pick. Leads me to think there is about zero chance of them taking a QB like many expect. I&#39;d be tossed up on the Bears between taking Williams at RB or Edwards at WR. I do not think they will take Mike Williams with that pick....I dont think Gruden will take a QB. I think he is perfectly happy with the two guys he has. If C. Williams is available he will be a Buc next season. If not I think they take Mike Williams....The Titans I think will be drooling if Williams is available when they pick. Otherwise I think they take Braylon Edwards or think of moving down if both WRs are off the board....Agree on the Vikings pick...I have no idea what direction the Cardinals will go in. I could see them taking Alex Smith, but more likely I think they will take Cedric Benson even though he may not warrant a pick there...I would agree that Gibbs is taking Rolle, who should be around there. He could get cute and take Smith if he is around, but Gibbs I doubt is thinking long term here and maybe hasnt given up on Ramsey yet...If the Lions dont take Barron Im not sure what they could be doing...I see Dallas taking Erasmus James...If the Chargers dont move up I agree with the pick...I think Houston will take Ware and the Chiefs will go for Rogers...The Saints make Davis their pick...I am tempted to say that the Bengals could think of taking Williamson with their pick, even though they should have enough WRs. Marcus Spears is the smarter choice....Rams go for Matt Roth rather than a CB...If the Cowboys dont deal I think they take Clayton to help fill out their offense...Jags will be taking Pac Man...I agree the Ravens will reach at WR, but I think Clayton is gone so Im not sure who...Seattle may take Justin Miller....Green Bay will be taking Dan Cody, though if nobody has taken Alex Smith maybe they take Favre. I really have a suspicion one QB is going to fall very far....I think we will take Fabian Washington over Jackson, though I would be happy with either...Interesting choice for Atlanta. Definitely a possibility....You think the Steelers will go for Miller to give Ben another target? Could happen, though I could just as easily see them taking Marlin Jackson...If the Pats see a CB around they will pick him, if not Id agree with your choice...Looking forward to the one with trades...

wickedtwisted
    Gruden wants Mike Williams and will take him if he&#39;s available... That will happen...