Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Speeding ticket.

Hall Of Fame

OT: Speeding ticket.

So i got a speeding ticket today in brooklyn, its a 70 in a 50. If there anything i can do? i was told to plead not guilty and at least try to lower the points and or fine. Anyone have experience with this?

Bitter
    Yeah, go pay the fine. Nothing bugs me more than people who try weaseling out of speeding tickets. If you don't want to pay the fine, don't speed.

All Pro
    Best bet is to take the time to become friends with the local prosecutor. Once you are friends I am sure he will give you a break.

Bitter
    By the way, my jerkoff sister and brother in law get out of all their speeding tickets. They simply show up for court to fight it, the cop doesn't show up at court 9 times out of 10 and they waive the ticket. That could be just a kansas thing too though.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by emslave
    So i got a speeding ticket today in brooklyn, its a 70 in a 50. If there anything i can do? i was told to plead not guilty and at least try to lower the points and or fine. Anyone have experience with this?

Plead not guilty.

Show up at the designated court appearance.

Hope the cop fails to show then ticket is dismissed.

If cop shows, still a very good chance the judge will reduce the amount of the fine (but not a guarantee).

Unless dismissed, you'll still get wacked with points and an insurance surcharge.

All League
    speeding tickets suck.....

back in the day i got one on the garden state parkway doin 73 in a 55....i just had my trans done in my car and proved that the speedo was wrong and still had to pay it......almost lost my lic, too...

Banned
    never plead guilty. plead not guilty and if you don't have any prior speeding tickets they will usually change it to a parking ticket or something, funny thing is, if this happens everytime you will never actually have a speeding ticket on the books and it will just keep working. or like alk said sometimes the cop doesn't even show up. if you really want to get out of it, call and say you can't show up for your court appointment and then have it rescheduled. then its even more likely the cop won't show up and you will either have it lowered or dropped all together.

Charter JI Member
    If you have insurance issues it is well worth to spend a couple of bucks on a lawyer to appear with you in court. Some of those guys making aliving doing that, and know the ins and outs, you will get it reduced, and probably pay a smaller fine and recieve less points.

All League
    Well in Jersey usually you can talk to the prosecutor ahead of time....they basically tell you to plead guilty and they will drop the points on your license but the fine will be bigger. That's better to me than getting like 5 points for speeding.

All Pro
    Fines usually don't get reduced, but more important is the fact that it is easy to get the points reduced. I have had tickets where after my court appearance I get 0 points but end up paying 250 bucks after the ticket and all the misc. fees associated with them.

Hall Of Fame
    I got numbed just this morning for blowing a stop sign......

There is usually a yield sign there, but because they are doing work on the BREAKDOWN lane of the bridge they decided to put up a stop sign at the end of the off ramp which is about 100 feet from the construction area.

I'm going through at 5 AM which obviously means no construction crews are there that early in the morning. As I approach the end of the off ramp I looked back over my left shoulder and see the oncoming traffic is way back there. So I figured - get right out there and not hold up the traffic behind me.

Then all of a sudden I see the blue lights in back of me. (little bastard was hiding with his lights off on the other side of the road) I pull over and the cop asks me why did you run that stop sign? I said because I saw the traffic way in back of me and I get right out there and not hold up anyone behind me. He said, There's still a stop sign there and you are supposed to stop!

After he makes out the ticket he said you need to stop for those in the future and I said NO. He said What? I said I do what makes sense to keep traffic going. Apparently you care more about nabbing people for cheap little infractions. He said try it again tomorrow! I said, Oh don't worry I will if it makes sense to keep traffic going........

All League
    My cousin is a Brookyn cop, I will have him take care of it.

All Pro
    Best advise is to show up in court, plead not guilty, explain why (make it a good one). The fine will remain, but the points should be reduced. This is as good as you can expect, unless the cop does not show up.

My boss got a ticket 3 years ago. He noticed the cop was an older person. He asked for 2 postponments, and by the time he showed up in court, the cop had retired! No points, no fine. Don't count on this working though. He just lucked out.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaT
    My cousin is a Brookyn cop, I will have him take care of it.
    are u serious? lol that be nice.....

anyhow ive spent the day talking to people and everyone says to fight it, i dont care about $ id rather pay 300 bucks and not get points then pay 140 and get 4, i called up a laywer and also am in the process of finding out if i can take a defensive driving class to reduce the points if i do get them.

thanks everyone for the insight.

emslave

everyone has their own stories, but i got pulled over once, showed up and asked the judge if he could belenient on the insurance points. told him i was a safe and conscientious driver. he made me pay the 75 dollar or so fine and gave me no points. i had been going pretty fast. he said i could take an online course and get all my points reduced. it was pretty easy, but still a pain, but hey...i was speeding.

mainejet, its a good thing ALK wasnt your cop, he woulda taken you to jail.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Alk
    By the way, my jerkoff sister and brother in law get out of all their speeding tickets. They simply show up for court to fight it, the cop doesn't show up at court 9 times out of 10 and they waive the ticket. That could be just a kansas thing too though.
    When I have gotten tickets in the past in Jersey, I plead not guilty and when I show up the next time the prosecutor will usually reduce the points, on the ticket.

Hall Of Fame
    i dont have any experience with this yet, but my brother got a ticket last year for like going the wrong way on a one way street. anyway, he said what he did was, he talked to the DA or assistant DA, whatever it was, before it was his turn to go before the judge, and then he bargained with him such that hed pay fine but not get any points. anyway, he said that he said something to the DA like i dont think i did anything wrong and what to be totally absolved of the charge, but id be willing to pay the fine as long as i dont get points and the whole insurance ****. i dont know if that'd work for a speeding ticket, but you might want to try it.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

About the points on your license that lead to higher insurance rates--- not sure about Jersey but in California you are allowed to go to traffic school once every 18 months and NOT have the ticket go on your record. If you're eligible for traffic school, I'd definitely recommend doing an "on-line" traffic school course. I got a ticket last year (for driving 68 in a with a boat trailered- was supposed to be going 55-- a real ******* CHP), and did the on-line course; it's not easy, because you do have to study a little but it beats doing 12 hours in a classroom. And most of these traffic schools have a "don't pay until you pass" policy, so you can take it as many times as you want.

Rookie
    Now this is an area of my fortei! I have gotten a ton of tickets in the past from these tools of the state. They are out there to make revenue for the towns and villages and nothing more. That is the first reason they are out there. Maybe the second reason is to enforce the law. Because lets face it no cop has the brains to make the laws. Let me ask you this. Would any cop give a ticket to a member of there own family? The answer is no. Now that is a hipocrite in my book. My brother in law is a cop and I tell him this all the time! LOL Bottom line plead not guilty, do not ask for a supporting deposition, show up for the court appearance, the cop if he shows up will play Monty Hall with you "Lets Make A Deal" and you will get the ticket reduced and the points reduced. If the cop doesnt show up the judge can dismiss it but doesnt have to. Sometimes and this has happened to me in these little towns and villages the judge is in cahoots with the cops and will reschedule the court date if the officer doesnt show up just so you have to take off of work a second time so they can get there money. Take it to the bank and cash it. This is an overvue of my feelings on the subject. Trust me I got a ton of stories and experience on this subject. Sincerely ROADRAGE. LOL

All Pro
    Slow Down! :d