Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jets re-sign 7 player including Evans & Carter

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Jets re-sign 7 player including Evans & Carter

The New York Jets announced today the re-signing of seven players: unrestricted free agent defensive tackle Josh Evans, unrestricted free agent linebacker Kenyatta Wright, restricted free agent wide receiver Jonathan Carter, restricted free agent guard/center Jonathan Goodwin, restricted free agent tight end Chris Baker, exclusive rights free agent guard Dave Yovanovits and exclusive rights free agent safety Oliver Celestin. The announcement was made by Jets’ Executive Vice President/General Manager Terry Bradway. Terms of the agreements were not disclosed.

Evans, 6-3, 280 pounds, will be entering his 10th NFL season in 2005 and is expected to return to the playing field after missing the final 15 regular season games and both of the Club’s playoff games of the 2004 season with a back injury. The native of Langdale, AL has played in 93 regular season games throughout his career and made 53 starts, while accounting for 301 tackles, 21.5 sacks, seven passes defensed, four fumble recoveries and two forced fumbles. He entered the league in 1995 as a rookie free agent with the Houston Oilers (1995-1996), moved with the team to Tennessee (1997-2001) and joined the Jets as an unrestricted free agent in 2002.

Wright, 6-0, 240 pounds, out of Oklahoma State, is entering his fifth NFL season and his third with the Jets and has established himself as the Club’s special teams’ captain and one of the leading special teams contributors in the NFL. A veteran of 59 regular season games, with two starts, Wright has racked up 83 career special teams tackles, along with a forced fumble, a fumble recovery and a blocked punt on special teams, as well as 54 tackles, a fumble recovery and a pass defensed on defense. With 55 career special teams tackles in his two seasons with the Jets, Wright is already in sixth place on the franchise’s all-time special teams tackles list.

Carter, 6-0, 180 pounds, broke into the league as a fifth-round draft choice of the New York Giants in 2001. He joined the Jets via waivers on October 9, 2002 and has played in 25 regular season games, making his lone start last season, and has recorded 14 receptions for 266 yards for a 19.0 average and two touchdowns. He has also factored into the kickoff return department and returned 44 kickoffs for 1,060 yards (24.1 average) with a long return of 90 yards for a score (at Indianapolis, 11/16/2003).

Goodwin, a 6-3, 318 pounds, from the University of Michigan, was selected by the Jets in the fifth round of the 2002 Draft. The Columbia, SC native has played in 43 regular season games, making three starts (all in 2004 in place of the injured Brandon Moore). He also played in both of the team’s 2004 playoff contests, seeing the majority of his playing time on special teams. He will be entering the fourth year of his career in 2005 and will provide the team with dependable depth and versatility in the interior of the offensive line.

Baker, 6-3. 258 pounds, will be entering his fourth season, who was a third round selection of the Jets in 2002 out of Michigan State University. The St. Albans, NY native played in 44 regular season games through the first three years of his career and caught 34 passes for 333 yards (9.8 avg.) along with four touchdowns. In 2004, he posted a career high in every receiving category, including receptions (18), receiving yards (182), receiving average (10.1) and touchdowns (four). In addition to having appeared in both multiple tight end sets and in the team’s tight end rotation, Baker has served as a valued member of the Jets’ special teams units. He also has appeared in four postseason games throughout his career.

Yovanovits, 6-3, 294 pounds, was selected by the Jets in the seventh round of the 2003 Draft out of Temple. As a rookie in ’03. he was inactive all season and then spent the first four weeks of the 2004 season on the team’s practice squad before being signed to the active roster prior to game five versus San Francisco on October 17. He appeared in four games this past season but was inactive for both of the Club’s playoff games.

Celestin, 6-0, 207 pounds, signed with the Jets as a free agent on November 19, 2004 and went on to play in the team’s final eight regular season games and both of the Jets’ playoff contests. The product of Texas Southern made five tackles on defense, contributed nine tackles on special teams and often worked himself into multiple defensive back sets late in the regular season.

Super*****/Prom Queen
    I'm glad they are keeping Yogi around. Just in case they sideline Marko again this season, at least he will have company.

Yovanovits, 6-3, 294 pounds, was selected by the Jets in the seventh round of the 2003 Draft out of Temple. As a rookie in ’03. he was inactive all season and then spent the first four weeks of the 2004 season on the team’s practice squad before being signed to the active roster prior to game five versus San Francisco on October 17. He appeared in four games this past season but was inactive for both of the Club’s playoff games.

Charter JI Member
    Nice, no complaints on any of those here.

All League
    nice to see that evans and baker are staying

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

With Fergie gone it's nice to see Evans come back. Hopefully he's got something left in the tank and stays off the pipe.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Cool, back to football news...........

No complaints from me for any of these signings.........

All Pro
    Josh Evans was re-signed? Excellent. If he is fully recovered from his drug problems and injuries he can still be a pretty good starting DT for us especially with the 3 Pro Bowl guys we have around him.

Hall Of Fame
    Glad to have 'em back. Though if we draft an interior lineman in the late rds, Yovanovits will be cut by the end of camp. The rest of em will be solid

Undrafted Free Agent
    Thanks for the update. Can't complain about those re-signings...

Veteran
    Evans is pretty light for a DT at 280 lbs. I wonder what kind of shape he's in?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I am really so happy to see Josh Evans back with The Jets. Josh is one of my favorite Jets players.

I loved his intensity and passion. Glad that bridge didn't get burned. Evans can clearly start for us next season at DT.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Good news for sure. I think Evans is the most important signing of all---one more hole in our lineup filled. Cross DT off your list of potential 1st round draft picks.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungJetsFan
    I am really so happy to see Josh Evans back with The Jets. Josh is one of my favorite Jets players.

I loved his intensity and passion. Glad that bridge didn't get burned. Evans can clearly start for us next season at DT.
    What? No Faith in Who Me Legree??

All League
    I love the josh evans signing but most of all Jon Carter ! Now with Hermdinger as corrdinator He will be used properly , Mainly Deep balls. Watch out for him next season .

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish
    What? No Faith in Who Me Legree??
    LOL... I like Legree. He can play all 4 DL positions and he has a familiarity with our d-line coach Denny Marcin.

Legree can play the nose, the under tackle and at defensive end. He's a solid backup.

Evans was a heck of a player for The Jets in 2002. He was a leader who was an excellent pass rusher inside. He had 7 sacks from The DT position. Got suspended in 2003 and hurt last year.

I'm glad he's back.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by suprjet
    Evans is pretty light for a DT at 280 lbs. I wonder what kind of shape he's in?

Didn't play all of last season. Didn't get much (if any) attention in the free agent market. Was already a big boy in the first place...????

My friend, lets hope that when they report to camp, he ONLY weighs 280!!!!!

Veteran
    Ya baby! Evans is big. I would like to see Jason Glenn back in the mix.

All Pro
    excellent excellent excellent Evans especially a real team leader-the kind of player I wished Lewis and Jones were their last year together-you could actually SEE Josh encouraging the team on-the more of these kind of guys you have the better-Pats do well um did well with emotional leaders but unfortunately their REIGN ENDS

I'm telling you guys we are OK on the DL replacing Ferguson with Legree,Allan Harper and Josh Evans

wickedtwisted
    I am concerned about if Evans will return back to his days of 02... It kinda seems like that's the theme of the Jets this season with us hoping Penny n Coles can do the same...

But I am thrilled about Baker and Carter... Great job Terry!

Isn't Brandon Moore a RFA? He is essential to our O line and I hope he is resigned as well...

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungJetsFan
    LOL... I like Legree. He can play all 4 DL positions and he has a familiarity with our d-line coach Denny Marcin.

Legree can play the nose, the under tackle and at defensive end. He's a solid backup.

Evans was a heck of a player for The Jets in 2002. He was a leader who was an excellent pass rusher inside. He had 7 sacks from The DT position. Got suspended in 2003 and hurt last year.

I'm glad he's back.

And the suspension you speak of YJF was reportedly for missing a pee pee test, not failing it. Apparently, a missed test is an assumed fail. Of course, if he wasn't going to fail, why would he have missed the test...???

Like you, I am glad he is back as well.

Now we got a dirty linebacker in Eric Barton (hey, he is an ex Raider, he can't help but play dirty) and a mean a$$ DT in Josh Evans. I just hope he is the same mean a$$ sum-im-a b!tch he was before the suspension and the back injury.