Thread: New Article about Dallas and Abe Trade!!

Banned

New Article about Dallas and Abe Trade!!

San Antonio Express-News

It has become as much a rite of spring as live oak pollen coating signs and sinuses.

Whither Bill Parcells?

If the past few weeks are any indication, the answer is obvious: Much to the immediate relief of Cowboys fans, the Tuna isn't going anywhere just yet. What that means for the long run and Jerry Jones' checkbook, however, is just as obvious.

It's now or never.

At least for this regime.

That's OK, of course, because we never expected anything else from Parcells, who heads into each offseason as if he's driving into a disorienting fog. Where he'll end up is anybody's guess, including his.

These days, he can be found at Valley Ranch, and those close to him feel he's as driven as he has been in years. Perhaps motivated by the astounding success of his former assistant, Bill Belichick, at New England, Parcells has invested more than hours into the coming campaign.

He has been spending like there's no tomorrow, or at least no 2006.

And that says something.

Much as he did before his final campaign as the Jets' head coach in 1999, Parcells has spent much of the past month buying the kind of graybeard talent that is more likely to evoke fond memories than create any new ones.

But all he's asking quarterback Drew Bledsoe, nose tackle Jason Ferguson and guard Marco Rivera, among other imported warhorses, is to dig deep one last time.

Just as he will.

Parcells, 64 in August, shopped in New York like a man in a big hurry, and those close to the franchise read the receipts as so many farewell notes. In Dallas, there's a similar sense today.

As the coach heads into the third season of his four-year, $17 million contract, he does so with the knowledge that Jones didn't bring him in only to share anecdotes over coffee. Dismiss the bombastic owner if you like, but there has never been any doubt of his championship aspirations, along with his willingness to pay for it.

Even Parcells had to take note when Jones agreed to dish out $30 million on signing bonuses in a short two-week span to begin the free-agent signing period. It was the most aggressive attack of any team in the league and signaled the franchise's most remarkable entry into the fray since overspending for Deion Sanders roughly 10 years ago.

The signing of the 33-year-old Bledsoe, who landed a $2 million signing bonus after being jettisoned by the Bills, was followed by the acquisitions of the 30-year-old Ferguson, a run-stopper in the Ted Washington mold, and the 33-year-old Rivera, an offensive line stalwart. All were important additions, but none represent an enduring foundation.

The Cowboys aren't about that now, and the next few days may provide an interesting glimpse as to just how immediate the game plan is.

Dallas owns the 11th and 20th picks in the first round of the NFL Draft on April 23, but there is pressing speculation that Parcells and Jones may be willing to part with one or both of the picks to land Jets defensive end John Abraham.
    At 26, Abraham is a three-time Pro Bowl pick, but his ability to stay healthy has been a prickly concern in New York. The Cowboys are one of the few teams with the resources to make a strong bid for the lineman, who would make a nice complement to Ferguson, especially if Parcells goes through with a reported switch to his favored 3-4 defensive alignment.

Along with free-agent signee Anthony Henry, a strapping right cornerback, Abraham and Ferguson would team to give Dallas a further push in at least challenging the Eagles in the NFC East.

With the return of blocking tight end Dan Campbell, receivers Terry Glenn and Keyshawn Johnson and linebacker Al Singleton from injuries that undercut last season's 6-10 campaign, the Cowboys just might get better.

In a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by J-E-T-S_187
    San Antonio Express-News

It has become as much a rite of spring as live oak pollen coating signs and sinuses.

Whither Bill Parcells?

If the past few weeks are any indication, the answer is obvious: Much to the immediate relief of Cowboys fans, the Tuna isn't going anywhere just yet. What that means for the long run and Jerry Jones' checkbook, however, is just as obvious.

It's now or never.

At least for this regime.

That's OK, of course, because we never expected anything else from Parcells, who heads into each offseason as if he's driving into a disorienting fog. Where he'll end up is anybody's guess, including his.

These days, he can be found at Valley Ranch, and those close to him feel he's as driven as he has been in years. Perhaps motivated by the astounding success of his former assistant, Bill Belichick, at New England, Parcells has invested more than hours into the coming campaign.

He has been spending like there's no tomorrow, or at least no 2006.

And that says something.

Much as he did before his final campaign as the Jets' head coach in 1999, Parcells has spent much of the past month buying the kind of graybeard talent that is more likely to evoke fond memories than create any new ones.

But all he's asking quarterback Drew Bledsoe, nose tackle Jason Ferguson and guard Marco Rivera, among other imported warhorses, is to dig deep one last time.

Just as he will.

Parcells, 64 in August, shopped in New York like a man in a big hurry, and those close to the franchise read the receipts as so many farewell notes. In Dallas, there's a similar sense today.

As the coach heads into the third season of his four-year, $17 million contract, he does so with the knowledge that Jones didn't bring him in only to share anecdotes over coffee. Dismiss the bombastic owner if you like, but there has never been any doubt of his championship aspirations, along with his willingness to pay for it.

Even Parcells had to take note when Jones agreed to dish out $30 million on signing bonuses in a short two-week span to begin the free-agent signing period. It was the most aggressive attack of any team in the league and signaled the franchise's most remarkable entry into the fray since overspending for Deion Sanders roughly 10 years ago.

The signing of the 33-year-old Bledsoe, who landed a $2 million signing bonus after being jettisoned by the Bills, was followed by the acquisitions of the 30-year-old Ferguson, a run-stopper in the Ted Washington mold, and the 33-year-old Rivera, an offensive line stalwart. All were important additions, but none represent an enduring foundation.

The Cowboys aren't about that now, and the next few days may provide an interesting glimpse as to just how immediate the game plan is.

Dallas owns the 11th and 20th picks in the first round of the NFL Draft on April 23, but there is pressing speculation that Parcells and Jones may be willing to part with one or both of the picks to land Jets defensive end John Abraham.
    At 26, Abraham is a three-time Pro Bowl pick, but his ability to stay healthy has been a prickly concern in New York. The Cowboys are one of the few teams with the resources to make a strong bid for the lineman, who would make a nice complement to Ferguson, especially if Parcells goes through with a reported switch to his favored 3-4 defensive alignment.

Along with free-agent signee Anthony Henry, a strapping right cornerback, Abraham and Ferguson would team to give Dallas a further push in at least challenging the Eagles in the NFC East.

With the return of blocking tight end Dan Campbell, receivers Terry Glenn and Keyshawn Johnson and linebacker Al Singleton from injuries that undercut last season's 6-10 campaign, the Cowboys just might get better.

In a hurry.
    Oh my goodness!

Who would have even thought to suggest that Parcels might give one or both of his 1st rounders to get Abraham?

Sorry about my sarcasm, but this didn't really say anything new. I think we already knew that Parcels MIGHT give a 1st or both 1sts to get Abraham.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatmoblin
    Oh my goodness!

Who would have even thought to suggest that Parcels might give one or both of his 1st rounders to get Abraham?

Sorry about my sarcasm, but this didn't really say anything new. I think we already knew that Parcels MIGHT give a 1st or both 1sts to get Abraham.
    At least we know there's a stronger chance of it happening. If we got both of their 1st's, this is what I would want to see in round one:

#11- SS Thomas Davis

#20- OT Jamaal Brown

#26- TE Heath Miller

And we could pickup Ty Law with the money we save from trading Abe ($6.7 mill).

JetsInsider.com Legend
    i've said the following for months: there is no way BOYS give up both #1 picks for Abe - most likely outcome is the high pick (11) and a conditional pick in 2006 (3rd - 6th) based on incentives for Abe - % snaps or sacks

All Pro
    I wouldnt mind trading abe for the #11 and Dan Campbell. They obvioulsy arent gonna use Campbell as much and hes definitely a legit starting TE. He would fill a hole a TE and then we could spend our first 3 picks(2 first rounders and 2nd) on a CB, OT, DT. However we would have another hole and DE so we may draft Merriman with #11. Some may say Why would we trade Abe if we draft Merriman? Well Merriman would be a cheaper alternative to and may actually be a player with the same amount of talent with a lot less baggage. However if dallas is dumb enough to give us both first round picks to land John Abraham than we should all sign a thank you card and send it to jerry jones+bill parcells.

Rookie
    wow....we could address OT, TE, and CB all in the first round...then replace Abe with a DE in a later round...sign me up for that!

All League
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not think the Jets get that money back "under the cap" for THIS season, after franchising Abe.

Now, I may be wrong, since Abe has not signed the tender...but I do not think so...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwave81
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not think the Jets get that money back "under the cap" for THIS season, after franchising Abe.

Now, I may be wrong, since Abe has not signed the tender...but I do not think so...
    the franchise tag is only a contract for salary - no bonus - he has to play to earn that money - hence the money would go back on the cap if he is traded -

Veteran
    if I remember correctly abe was not a big fan of the 3-4. He is on the small side and may have difficulty adjusting. Remember when fatcells switched to 3-4 when hugh douglas was here? Hugh was literally in tears over it and his production plummeted. If the cowgirls want to give their 2 #1's or maybe even #11 and their 2nd rounder, I'd be all over that!

ABE factor

Two years ago, ABE was all over McNabb ... that has to be playing in Tuna's mind.

I'm afraid Tuna will screw us by making an offer (that we can't or really don't want to match) soon after the draft ... meaning we won't get the picks from Dallas until 2006 and 2007. Which would hose us for 2005 (since the draft is over and we probably didn't pick a DE in the first day of the draft)

wickedtwisted
    At least we know there's a stronger chance of it happening. If we got both of their 1st's, this is what I would want to see in round one:

#11- SS Thomas Davis

#20- OT Jamaal Brown

#26- TE Heath Miller

And do the three first rounders have salary cap waivers or something? There is no possible way to sign both Ty Law and our number 26th let alone 2 more draft picks even with removing Abes 6 million from the cap...

I honestly don't like the idea of drafting a safety at 11 even if we did have it because Thomas Davis isn't nearly what Sean Taylor was and if we are going up in the draft I want Rolle or Mike Williams... Either likely to not happen but hey that's what makes Madden fun...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The Cowboys can't give up a 1 and a 3 this season. They don't have a third round pick. Their 3rd rounder belongs to Houston. Houston got it in The Drew Henson trade.

I wouldn't put anything past Parcells. He will do anything and everything to try and win.

John Abraham would change The Dallas defense significantly. Last time, John Abraham played Tra Thomas and The Eagles. He had 3 sacks.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Would it be a trade? Or would Dallas sign him to an offer sheet?

JetsInsider.com Legend

#11- SS Thomas Davis

#20- OT Jamaal Brown

#26- TE Heath Miller

And we could pickup Ty Law with the money we save from trading Abe ($6.7 mill
    ).
    You are grossly underestimating Abe's worth. Beside the Cowboys two first rounders, I'll bet they also throw in Jason Whitten and then the Jets can use the 26th pick on a CB.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

#11- SS Thomas Davis

#20- OT Jamaal Brown

#26- TE Heath Miller

We do not get both of their first rounders this year. It would be the #11 this year and Dallas' #1 next year.