Thread: Draft experts, Where will Uconns Al Fincher go?

All League

Draft experts: Where will Uconn LB Al Fincher go?

Being from CT, I followed him through out his Uconn career. I always thought he was under rated..I see some mocks have him going in round 2 which is very surprising..I thought he was projected as a 4-7 round pick?
    Last edited by ctjetfan; 04-12-2005 at 02:19 PM.

All League
    As a Uconn football fan, I know this player real well...

Back in November of 2004, when other draft sites didn't have him in their top 20 to 30 middle linebackers, I know coach Edsall was saying NFL teams were beating a path to Uconn to see both him and Dan O (Ty King was injured at that time, but he should be drafted too)...I know he was highly regarded by NFL teams and always tried to rank him fairly high.

Don't be suprised if Fincher and Adam Seward of UNLV get drafted higher than Channing Crowder.

Mel Kiper projects Fincher as the last pick in round 2, going to the Patriots (Fincher is from that area)...

The Vikings and DC Teddy Cottrell like him a lot, as do the Packers...

I'm gonna say he's a 3rd rounder, that's my guess. But who knows, if one team "loves him" he could go higher (2nd)?

Tyler King is also moving up, I'm hoping he'll go in the top 4 rounds...

Dan O will drafted, but his stock has dropped....maybe Day 2?

CB Justin Perkins; OL's Ryan Krug and Billy Irwin; WR's Keron Henry and Matt Cataia (sp?--he ran a 4.35 at Pro Day) and LB Maurice Llyod all hope to be 7th round picks, but are all very likely free agents...

Watch out for the Packers.....Their head of scouting was a UConn star and he definitely has "favored' Huskies since the early 1990's**

**Last player drafted from Uconn was some no-name LB in 1994. He was drafted by the Packers....but the Packers have also signed a bunch Huskies as undrafted FA's since the early 1990's.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    my fave al fincher 'draft season' story is when he's at the Senior Bowl and he's all nervous - finds the resolve to go up to Bill Parcells after practice to introduce himself

"hi im al fincher' -

tuna takes one look at him and says 'i know who you are'

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...id=17758&rfi=6

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti
    my fave al fincher 'draft season' story is when he's at the Senior Bowl and he's all nervous - finds the resolve to go up to Bill Parcells after practice to introduce himself

"hi im al fincher' -

Fincher's stock continues to rise. Went from a day two draft pick 6th rounder to a legitimate 3rd rounder. He could go late 2nd. That's pretty damn high for a middle linebacker from UConn.

3-4 teams are really high on him as an inside linebacker. I took him in The JI mock draft and penciled him in as a starter. I think he can start next season in The NFL. He's that polished of a player.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins44

Back in November of 2004, when other draft sites didn't have him in their top 20 to 30 middle linebackers, I know coach Edsall was saying NFL teams were beating a path to Uconn to see both him and Dan O (Ty King was injured at that time, but he should be drafted too)...I know he was highly regarded by NFL teams and always tried to rank him fairly high.

Don't be suprised if Fincher and Adam Seward of UNLV get drafted higher than Channing Crowder.

Mel Kiper projects Fincher as the last pick in round 2, going to the Patriots (Fincher is from that area)...

I'm gonna say he's a 3rd rounder, that's my guess. But who knows, if one team "loves him" he could go higher (2nd)?

CB Justin Perkins; OL's Ryan Krug and Billy Irwin; WR's Keron Henry and Matt Cataia (sp?--he ran a 4.35 at Pro Day) and LB Maurice Llyod all hope to be 7th round picks, but are all very likely free agents...

Watch out for the Packers.....Their head of scouting was a UConn star and he definitely has "favored' Huskies since the early 1990's**

**Last player drafted from Uconn was some no-name LB in 1994. He was drafted by the Packers....but the Packers have also signed a bunch Huskies as undrafted FA's since the early 1990's.

Thanks, great info. Fincher can flat out play.. Did you see him in the Pitt game? ALL OVER THE FIELD!!

Llyod is a good player.. Some games he stood out more tahn Fincher..

Matt Cutai can fly. I think he gets a FA contract.

If Danny O had a senior year as good as his junior Year, he would have been a 1st or 2nd rounder..

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti

"hi im al fincher' -

WOW, great Article... Hope the kid does well!!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by ctjetfan
    Thanks, great info. Fincher can flat out play.. Did you see him in the Pitt game? ALL OVER THE FIELD!!

Llyod is a good player.. Some games he stood out more tahn Fincher..

Matt Cutai can fly. I think he gets a FA contract.

If Danny O had a senior year as good as his junior Year, he would have been a 1st or 2nd rounder..

Thanks, you are right about last season...but it seems "flopping" at the Senior Bowl in practice, then missing the game due to the flu harmed his stock a lot....

He needed a good combine, but he didn't get it...Ran in the 5.0 area and didn't standout throwing...

I think he's too good a QB not to be drafted, but he's definitely taken a tumble....

Cutaia (sp?) has been affected by injuries his career, but the only time that matters for a WR is 40 speed and he got an A-plus at Pro Day...

Won't be drafted, but definitely deserves priority free agent status...Personally, I think NFL teams sign way too many unworthy FA's....But Matt is worth a shot.

Rookie
    i can picture this kid going to the brown with an early pick in the 3rd and becoming a star under crennel. he's gonna fit real well in a 3-4 defense

All League

Crowder will be drafted way before those two..way two much upside there...the kid is a playmaker

Fincher depends on the system of teams. Most picks outside of the top 15 and definitely the first round are often "system/scheme picks."

All League
    Crowder will be drafted way before those two..way two much upside there...the kid is a playmaker
    Way before, or right before?

We'll see on draft day, but you may want to mention these things about Crowder too:

He's got some issues:

**Came out as a sophmore, way before he should've...

**Showed up at the Combine at 252 pounds, then went to Pro Day at 242 just a days after and ran well into the 4.7's....how does one lose 10 pounds in a few days?

4.75 to 4.78 isn't a bad time for a full-sized inside linebacker, but Crowder seems to play games (game weight) in the 230 pound area (smallish), according to one "knowledgeable insider" that saw him at Indy.

**He's had, what, 4 or 5 MAJOR knee surgeries?

**He's been arrested several times in recent times for very serious infractions--beating a man senseless and attacking a police man.

**He was suspended by the Florida staff a few times and even ended the 2004 season as a backup to Brandon Siler!

**Kiper pegs him as a 3rd to 5th rounder...so not everyone is on the "Crowder express"

I think he won't go until the 3rd round (at best)....If he does go in the top 2 rounds, some team will be taking a major risk due to his health, attitude and weight.

Like Ahmad Brooks of Virginia (who's a much better player), he should've come back for his junior season....It will all be Crowder's fault if he does fall in the draft.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Way before, or right before?

We'll see on draft day, but you may want to mention these things about Crowder too:

He's got some issues:

**Came out as a sophmore, way before he should've...

**Showed up at the Combine at 252 pounds, then went to Pro Day at 242 just a days after and ran well into the 4.7's....how does one lose 10 pounds in a few days?

4.75 to 4.78 isn't a bad time for a full-sized inside linebacker, but Crowder seems to play games (game weight) in the 230 pound area (smallish), according to one "knowledgeable insider" that saw him at Indy.

**He's had, what, 4 or 5 MAJOR knee surgeries?

**He's been arrested several times in recent times for very serious infractions--beating a man senseless and attacking a police man.

**He was suspended by the Florida staff a few times and even ended the 2004 season as a backup to Brandon Siler!

**Kiper pegs him as a 3rd to 5th rounder...so not everyone is on the "Crowder express"

I think he won't go until the 3rd round (at best)....If he does go in the top 2 rounds, some team will be taking a major risk due to his health, attitude and weight.

Like Ahmad Brooks of Virginia (who's a much better player), he should've come back for his junior season....It will all be Crowder's fault if he does fall in the draft.
    Whomever Crowder's agent is. He should fire him. First he tells him to come out for the draft when he should have gone back to school. Would have been a first rounder next year if he stepped up his game.

Then Crowder's agent probably told him to put on weight. If you play at 230 to 235 and you are most effective at that weight. Stay there. Don't try to add 20 pounds. Just so your data looks better on a piece of paper.

Crowder would be best served to go to a Cover 2 team. He can play. He just has character issues. He's very young and immature.

All League
    You're correct YJF...Crowder, according to some insiders, is sinking due to his attitude (which was beyond poor at Florida at times) and health issues.

I'm not sure were he'll go in the draft, but I know this: NFL execs and owners aren't fans. They make an investment in their draft picks. And, the higher he's drafted, the more guaranteed money he's owed. Because of that, the smart ones can't just "gloss over" the issues he brings to the table.

Because if he acted out of control off the field and unreceptive to some coaches at times (although he claims he loved Zook) as a "poor college player", does anyone really think his attitude will automatically get better when he's got millions in the bank?

In fairness, it might. But don't count on that.

Yes, he should've stayed in college. Brooks is widely considered a better prospect than Crowder and he took the advice to stay school.

Crowder will get his chance....But I doubt he'll be a first rounder, as most expected a few months ago....

How low he drops, we'll see. Kiper thinks he can bottom out in round 5.

All League
    and kiper doesn't have C. Fason in his top 10 RB list...i listen more to what people say on here more than i listen to kiper....Crowder is a talent and he performs...Boss Bailey had alot of knee surgery and he still went pretty high if i remember correctly..Mcgahee couldnt even walk when he was taken in the 1st round....

I do believe that Crowder should have stayed another year..he is also immature but that will change quickly with a NFL head coach and they do interview these guys before they draft them...He will go late 1st early 2nd...i wouldnt be surprised if seattle takes him...