Thread: Matt Jones

Matt Jones

Who is going to nab him and for what position???

All League
    If the Jets take Heath Miller...
    then I think either the Eagles or Steelers will take him.
    Who ever takes him will try him at WR... since he said he no interest in playing any other position... but if that doesn't pan out, I think you could see him in a year or two as a TE/H-Back...

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfaninCO
    Who is going to nab him and for what position???
    i've stated very clearly on this board that i would love to draft this kid at 26 & turn him into a WR. if we do in fact sign dyson, all the more reason to take him in the first round.

i don't see any reason in bulking jones up to play TE. he has the best size/speed ratio i've ever seen, or heard of for that matter. why do anything to slow him down??

lastly, i firmly believe their is a major difference between a "workout wonder" & a all world athlete. the guy played swingman at a top level D1 program. skill position basketball players have good hands. some better, some worse. but all can catch the ball. that's just the nature of the beast. this will translate with him changing positions on the football field.

many disagree with me here & that's fine. it's a football forum. it would become boring very quickly if we all saw thing the same way. next season's not that far away. it will be interesting to see who was right or wrong about this kid.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetgreen13
    i've stated very clearly on this board that i would love to draft this kid at 26 & turn him into a WR. if we do in fact sign dyson, all the more reason to take him in the first round.

i don't see any reason in bulking jones up to play TE. he has the best size/speed ratio i've ever seen, or heard of for that matter. why do anything to slow him down??

lastly, i firmly believe their is a major difference between a "workout wonder" & a all world athlete. the guy played swingman at a top level D1 program. skill position basketball players have good hands. some better, some worse. but all can catch the ball. that's just the nature of the beast. this will translate with him changing positions on the football field.

many disagree with me here & that's fine. it's a football forum. it would become boring very quickly if we all saw thing the same way. next season's not that far away. it will be interesting to see who was right or wrong about this kid.
    I agree 13..This Kid seems to have it all but I'm concerned about his desire
    to play in the Pro's..He has this unreliable Hippy quality about him that
    makes me think he'd rather go smoke a Joint with Ricky Williams that go
    to Training Camp!!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by savage69
    to Training Camp!!
    savage, if this kid played WR for the last to years, he would be the first receiver off the board. period. taking a gamble (& it is a gamble) on a all-world talent late in the first round??? you betcha i would!! signing dyson would just make it, all the sweeter.

Rookie
    this guy is changing positions, and everyone has said in his interviews he comes off as a slacker and he's extremely strange is what the scouts say. and if this kid is changing positions the last quality you want in him is a slacker. if you guys want a tall, quick reciever, with lots of natural athletic ability, and a strange attitude we can take chris henry who's a inch shorter but just as quick, jumps higher, and has been playing wr his whole career as a football player in the third round.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by the vilmanator
    if you guys want a tall, quick reciever, with lots of natural athletic ability, and a strange attitude we can take chris henry who's a inch shorter but just as quick, jumps higher, and has been playing wr his whole career as a football player in the third round.
    no, what i want is a guy who in a couple of years could be one of the best receivers in football. now he's a weirdo. maybe he is. i do know last week the problem with jones, was he'll have to learn a new position in the pros. this week, he's an odd bird.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by the vilmanator
    this guy is changing positions, and everyone has said in his interviews he comes off as a slacker and he's extremely strange is what the scouts say. and if this kid is changing positions the last quality you want in him is a slacker. if you guys want a tall, quick reciever, with lots of natural athletic ability, and a strange attitude we can take chris henry who's a inch shorter but just as quick, jumps higher, and has been playing wr his whole career as a football player in the third round.
    I think you miss understood, in all the interviews I have seen thay have said that he is so laid back that he comes off as being a slacker but isnt the case. They said that even when he makes great plays and people tell him he's amazing he doesnt buy into all of the hype.

Rookie
    Matt Jones goes to Pittsburgh I think. Or, Philadelphia.

He will be converted to WR, hopefully not TE. I think he'd be misused there.

The Jets don't need him, no matter what others say (GJ&H, right? Yeah, yeah, I know he's a god here ).

We have a great, great set of wideouts already. Trust me, Justin McCareins will have a much better career than Matt Jones. Just because he's "got all the tools" doesn't mean jacksh@t in this league. Will he make the dangerous catch across the middle? Will he block relentlessly for his other teammates? These are answers that are unknown, and separate great players from average pros....and taking an unknown at #26 for a position that's already STOCKED is not only irresponsible, but stupid. TB knows that, and if Matt Jones becomes Randy Moss, well.....we all win sometimes in Vegas too, right? Most come home broke though...you ALWAYS take a project like that later on in the draft.

Practice Squad
    Thsi Kid looks fast but he looks real fragile. Pass let someone else take him and let vilma crush him coming across the middle

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsGoFar
    Matt Jones goes to Pittsburgh I think. Or, Philadelphia.

He will be converted to WR, hopefully not TE. I think he'd be misused there.

The Jets don't need him, no matter what others say (GJ&H, right? Yeah, yeah, I know he's a god here ).

We have a great, great set of wideouts already. Trust me, Justin McCareins will have a much better career than Matt Jones. Just because he's "got all the tools" doesn't mean jacksh@t in this league. Will he make the dangerous catch across the middle? Will he block relentlessly for his other teammates? These are answers that are unknown, and separate great players from average pros....and taking an unknown at #26 for a position that's already STOCKED is not only irresponsible, but stupid. TB knows that, and if Matt Jones becomes Randy Moss, well.....we all win sometimes in Vegas too, right? Most come home broke though...you ALWAYS take a project like that later on in the draft.
    yeah, terry would'nt be irresponsible or stupid. not the man that lost coles as a unrestricted FA over $500,000. yeah, that's all it would have cost the jets to get back a 1st & a 3rd from wash. translation, he never would have left in the first place. lets not forget the redskin season ticket holder (you can't make this stuff up) who arbitrated in favor of wash for the rights to chad morton.

Rookie
    well i'm only saying that he is coming off odd know because that is what the scouts are saying know, this weeks sporting news was talking about and so was salisbury. i think it was the cowboys he gave a very odd interview too.

wickedtwisted
    I don't want to draft him at 26... just because his size/speed ratio is so good doesn't mean he's going to be a star... there are other needs at 26...

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by jetgreen13
    yeah, terry would'nt be irresponsible or stupid. not the man that lost coles as a unrestricted FA over $500,000. yeah, that's all it would have cost the jets to get back a 1st & a 3rd from wash. translation, he never would have left in the first place. lets not forget the redskin season ticket holder (you can't make this stuff up) who arbitrated in favor of wash for the rights to chad morton.
    Yeah Green13, those losses really hurt us:

hmmm.....Morton....garbage......Hall.....whatever, Thomas....Moore is just as good....and Coles....oh, we got him back! I'm glad we let the Skins sign Coles. If we tendered Coles higher to get the #1 and #3 pick, the Skins would have never signed him to that contract, Coles would have thought he got underpaid somehow, and we would have NEVER gotten DRob!!!!! Now, with Coles seeing the grass was not greener, he's HAPPY to be back, and...want to know how good TB is? Well, his ego didn't get in the way of getting Coles back - even after all the disparaging things Coles said about him. TB, Herm, and our owner are all about winning - "You Play to Win The Game". This is why Matt Jones is NOT a good risk at #1....this is not personal...don't think I was calling you irresponsible or stupid....if you were our gm and made the choice, then I would but I'm not.

Go Jets!!!

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsGoFar
    Yeah Green13, those losses really hurt us:

hmmm.....Morton....garbage......Hall.....whatever, Thomas....Moore is just as good....and Coles....oh, we got him back! I'm glad we let the Skins sign Coles. If we tendered Coles higher to get the #1 and #3 pick, the Skins would have never signed him to that contract, Coles would have thought he got underpaid somehow, and we would have NEVER gotten DRob!!!!! Now, with Coles seeing the grass was not greener, he's HAPPY to be back, and...want to know how good TB is? Well, his ego didn't get in the way of getting Coles back - even after all the disparaging things Coles said about him. TB, Herm, and our owner are all about winning - "You Play to Win The Game". This is why Matt Jones is NOT a good risk at #1....this is not personal...don't think I was calling you irresponsible or stupid....if you were our gm and made the choice, then I would but I'm not.

Go Jets!!!

Correct me if im wrong, im not too sure but didnt coles want to sign with the jets b4 he became a restricted FA for alot less then the offer he got from washington but TB didnt think coles would tender such a offer.

Rookie
    How many 1st rd picks becomes a bust...alot. There are no sure things and every player has the potential to become great or a complete flop. The jets can choose to go the safe route and pick a player with less potential but who is deemed as a safer pick then jones or they can pick a player with huge potential of greatness but is a risky pick. Ray Lewis was selected with the 26th pick, how many teams do you guys think are kicking themselves...

wickedtwisted
    Oh and my smart *** comment of the day:

My crystal ball isn't working so maybe you should call Cleo to find out who drafts Jones...

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattay
    Correct me if im wrong, im not too sure but didnt coles want to sign with the jets b4 he became a restricted FA for alot less then the offer he got from washington but TB didnt think coles would tender such a offer.
    Of course, Coles wanted to stay. And let's be honest, NO ONE from this forum thought Coles would get that kind of deal. ONLY Snyder would do that...just look at the other monumental mistakes he's made. Coles would have signed for less before he became a restricted Free Agent.

The important point is that we got Coles back now, and we got DRob in the process. That wouldn't have been possible without that loss.

Say what you will, but TB and Herm are building a classy organization that is built to compete year in and year out. They are making smart, sound decisions that will pay benefits for us. Gone are the days of irresponsible spending and simultaneous running contracts (Parcells?) and bad coaching (Groh, Kotite, Carroll, Coslet). Jets fans, some of you don't realize how good we've got it......now it's time to win a couple of SuperBowls....this regime can do it.

Hall Of Fame
    The Jets are going to pick him, they will trade up to get Denvers pick that the Broncos are trying hard to unload then they will have the 25th and 26th picks. 25 Justin Miller, 26 Matt Jones.

Pat tillman had the same type of demeanor i think your just judging him based on appearance .

Quote Originally Posted by savage69
    to Training Camp!!