Thread: I'm worried about Redskins Trade

Practice Squad

I'm worried about Redskins Trade

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/WAS/8401222

ASHBURN, Va. (April 19, 2005) -- A day of mixed signals from the Washington Redskins ended with an unexpected twist: a trade that leaves the team with two picks in the first round of the NFL draft.

Paying a hefty price for a short-term gain, the Redskins acquired the No. 25 overall pick from the Denver Broncos. In exchange, Washington gave up its third-round selection (No. 76 overall) in this year's draft and picks in the first and fourth rounds in 2006.

The trade allows the Redskins to take care of both of their most pressing needs -- cornerback and receiver -- in one afternoon. Washington holds the ninth and 25th picks, with the flexibility to trade up or down to get the players the team has targeted.

Oddly, the day began with a report suggesting the Redskins might not have any picks at all in the first round. The Washington Post, in the April 19 editions, reported that team was discussing a trade that would send the No. 9 pick to the Oakland Raiders for cornerback Phillip Buchanon and a second-round selection.

The reaction was terse from vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato.

"That is not true," Cerrato said in a statement released by the team. "We are not trading that pick."

Cerrato's words were a surprise. They went beyond quashing the Buchanon story and ruled out any trade whatsoever for the No. 9 selection, an overreaction that had to be clarified later in the day by coach and team president Joe Gibbs.

"Right now, we've had no discussions with anyone about trading away the ninth pick," Gibbs said. "Are we considering any options we are presented with? Yes. We'll consider anything, but no one has presented a compelling scenario."

That's not to say the Redskins weren't interested in Buchanon. An official within the league, speaking on condition of anonymity, told The Associated Press that the team has discussed a possible trade for Buchanon in recent days, but the official said none of the scenarios involved Washington's first-round pick. The official said the Redskins might trade a lower-round pick for Buchanon, but that no deal was imminent.

In essence, the statement was a signal to the rest of the league that the Redskins do not consider Buchanon worthy of a first-round pick. Buchanon has said he is unhappy in Oakland, wants a trade and Washington doesn't want the price tag to go too high.

Regardless, the trade with Denver would seem to dampen any possibility for a Buchanon deal, given that the Redskins can now obtain both a receiver and a cornerback in the first round. The top draft prospects from both positions have visited Redskins Park in recent weeks.

The Redskins need a cornerback to replace Fred Smoot, who departed during free agency, and a receiver is a priority because both Laveranues Coles and Rod Gardner requested trades. Coles was sent to the New York Jets for Santana Moss, while Gardner is still on the market.

Also, the Redskins re-signed Tim Hasselbeck, their lone remaining restricted free agent. Hasselbeck is expected to be the third-string quarterback again this season behind Patrick Ramsey and Mark Brunell.

-----------------------

A lot of speculation in the article that they did it to get a QB; but they just managed to jump right in front of us and their biggest need is for a CB.

It's starting to look more and more like we may strike out at CB and end up rolling the dice and praying that Heath Miller's groin is not a long term problem.

Practice Squad
    Actually it was an article in today's Newsday that speculated that they made the trade to get a QB.

But my wife just left with the Newsday and it's not on the web edition of Newsday.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by BUD329
    http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/WAS/8401222

ASHBURN, Va. (April 19, 2005) -- A day of mixed signals from the Washington Redskins ended with an unexpected twist: a trade that leaves the team with two picks in the first round of the NFL draft.

Paying a hefty price for a short-term gain, the Redskins acquired the No. 25 overall pick from the Denver Broncos. In exchange, Washington gave up its third-round selection (No. 76 overall) in this year's draft and picks in the first and fourth rounds in 2006.

The trade allows the Redskins to take care of both of their most pressing needs -- cornerback and receiver -- in one afternoon. Washington holds the ninth and 25th picks, with the flexibility to trade up or down to get the players the team has targeted.

Oddly, the day began with a report suggesting the Redskins might not have any picks at all in the first round. The Washington Post, in the April 19 editions, reported that team was discussing a trade that would send the No. 9 pick to the Oakland Raiders for cornerback Phillip Buchanon and a second-round selection.

The reaction was terse from vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato.

"That is not true," Cerrato said in a statement released by the team. "We are not trading that pick."

Cerrato's words were a surprise. They went beyond quashing the Buchanon story and ruled out any trade whatsoever for the No. 9 selection, an overreaction that had to be clarified later in the day by coach and team president Joe Gibbs.

"Right now, we've had no discussions with anyone about trading away the ninth pick," Gibbs said. "Are we considering any options we are presented with? Yes. We'll consider anything, but no one has presented a compelling scenario."

That's not to say the Redskins weren't interested in Buchanon. An official within the league, speaking on condition of anonymity, told The Associated Press that the team has discussed a possible trade for Buchanon in recent days, but the official said none of the scenarios involved Washington's first-round pick. The official said the Redskins might trade a lower-round pick for Buchanon, but that no deal was imminent.

In essence, the statement was a signal to the rest of the league that the Redskins do not consider Buchanon worthy of a first-round pick. Buchanon has said he is unhappy in Oakland, wants a trade and Washington doesn't want the price tag to go too high.

Regardless, the trade with Denver would seem to dampen any possibility for a Buchanon deal, given that the Redskins can now obtain both a receiver and a cornerback in the first round. The top draft prospects from both positions have visited Redskins Park in recent weeks.

The Redskins need a cornerback to replace Fred Smoot, who departed during free agency, and a receiver is a priority because both Laveranues Coles and Rod Gardner requested trades. Coles was sent to the New York Jets for Santana Moss, while Gardner is still on the market.

Also, the Redskins re-signed Tim Hasselbeck, their lone remaining restricted free agent. Hasselbeck is expected to be the third-string quarterback again this season behind Patrick Ramsey and Mark Brunell.

-----------------------

A lot of speculation in the article that they did it to get a QB; but they just managed to jump right in front of us and their biggest need is for a CB.

It's starting to look more and more like we may strike out at CB and end up rolling the dice and praying that Heath Miller's groin is not a long term problem.
    I feel you. This would mean zero to me if we sign Dyson. If not, then Bradway should do something to move up a couple of spots. With Snyders history of screwing the Jets, the last thing in the Bradway should want is the Skins picking right before us and needing a CB. Like I said , this will be null and void if we sign Dyson but if not, Bradway needs to make something happen here so we can move up a couple of spots.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 04-20-2005 at 08:38 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Speculation is that the Redskins want Jason Campbell, the QB from Auburn, with the 25th pick.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by scott dierking II
    Speculation is that the Redskins want Jason Campbell, the QB from Auburn, with the 25th pick.
    I saw that article but the one in this thread says something different and should be legitmate cause for concern should the Dyson signing not happen.

Hall Of Fame
    The SKINS also need a TE and I believe that we really are targeting HEATH MILLER. If so we will get knofed again by SNYDER. In that scenario I would move down and take a CB and ALEX SMITH, TE in rd 2!

Hall Of Fame
    Don't worry about the Skins or any other team. The Jets have enough needs that a good player will be there at 26 for them. If the Skins take a corner and QB then perhaps one of the top OL will be there, perhaps Davis will fall, perhaps the best DT will be there. The Jets have a number of areas they'd like to improve but no one area that is a must have in my opinion. Someone good will be there at 26.

All League
    we can all only hope that they take Heath Miller with the 25th pick..then we all dont have to worry about the Jets drafting him....

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by hendu24
    we can all only hope that they take Heath Miller with the 25th pick..then we all dont have to worry about the Jets drafting him....
    I was just talking (in one of the other threads) about Alex Smith being a safer pick at TE. Although I'd rather have a corner, DT in round one.

All League
    Redskins targeting Auburn's Campbell
    By Len Pasquarelli
    ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft0...len&id=2041257

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodKeyWestJetsFan
    I was just talking (in one of the other threads) about Alex Smith being a safer pick at TE.

im there with ya...i wouldnt mind jason randall out of MSU either...also we have baker, and norman which i do feel comfortable with...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by hendu24
    im there with ya...i wouldnt mind jason randall out of MSU either...also we have baker, and norman which i do feel comfortable with...
    Absolutely. I'd really like to go Corner or DT in round one.

Veteran
    I was listening to 1050 today in the morning and they where saying the reason Washington made the trade was to acquire Jason Cambell QB Auburn if this is true I think it will help the Jets out because the speculation on Denver was they where going to take a CB at 25

All League
    even if we sign Dyson i still want a CB...i want a secondary that i dont have to worry about every game...i dont really see a DT worth the 26th pick though..if we go DT i say try to trade down and get more picks

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by ganggreen4life
    I was listening to 1050 today in the morning and they where saying the reason Washington made the trade was to acquire Jason Cambell QB Auburn if this is true I think it will help the Jets out because the speculation on Denver was they where going to take a CB at 25
    This could be a smokescreen too, you have to remember, the Skins have not replaced Fred Smoot yet either. The whole Campbell story could be a smoke screen to catch the Jets off guard. The skins also just re-signed Hasselback as well.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Then again who's to say Washington won't go CB with the 9th pick. One of the Big 3 should still be there, while there is no way in hell Edwards or Williams will be there for their WR needs. And at #25, they can still get more than adequate value at the WR position. There's a pretty good chance Clayton would be there (Matt Jones?).

All Pro
    Even if the Skins have two picks before the JETS, we'll still be in good shape because if the JETS are targeting a CB for their # 26, the Skins won't be taking two CB's leaving the JETS with still a pretty good CB.