Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saftey rotation...

Hall Of Fame

Saftey rotation...

after drafting 2 safeties we now have the following players on roster, correct me if i'm wrong....

Eric Coleman
    Reggie Tongue
    Derek Pagel
    John McGraw
    Rashard Washington
    ANdre Maddox
    Kerry Rhodes

my question is who stays who goes

my hope is that we can finally say bye bye to Pagel but the big question is whether one of these others can overtake Tongue for the starting spot? if not then how many safeties can we keep on roster?

Rookie
    pagel is gone, tongue restructed his contract o the league minimum so he'll stick around. if mcgraw gets hurt in training camp he should get cut.

Rookie
    and hopefully kerry rhodes starts nex to coleman

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by the vilmanator
    pageltongue restructed his contract o the league minimum so he'll stick around.
    he went from a nice FA contact, to a special team players deal. do you remember where you got that info??

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by the vilmanator
    and hopefully kerry rhodes starts nex to coleman
    They are both Free Safeties

Rookie
    Kerry Rhodes will play ss.He is def going to start next year. I really like this kid.

Veteran
    They are both FS are they not? I still think McGraw is going to be good. If his injury bug can be solved.

Coleman and McGraw starting...

I see used using the younger safety's in situational roles. Maddox in sure, fire runstopping siutations. Rhodes in more obvious passing situations. Tongue is a good tutor for them all.

Rookie
    Eric Coleman
    Reggie Tongue
    Derek Pagel
    John McGraw
    Rashard Washington
    ANdre Maddox
    Kerry Rhodes

We probably cut three of these players- I say pagel,mcgraw,washington,maddox-three of these 4 will get cut.

Rookie
    maddox will make the team on his speed and special teams abilities, and rhodes can play ss there is that much of a difference between the 2 safety positions

Veteran
    pagel hasn't done much, he'll prob be the first of this group to be cut.

All League
    One of them could be put on the Practice Squad. I could see Rashad Washington going on it.

Rhodes will be starting sooner rather than later. Teams rarely trade up for back ups.

Hall Of Fame
    I wouldn't go kicking Pagel out of the door just yet, he really played well last year before getting hurt. Pagel can play a little of both FS and SS, he has the range, but also likes to mix it up underneath.

The guy to me that seems the most raw is Rhodes, but may have the most upside because of his speed and athletic ability. Rhodes is a FS, not a SS.

From what I gather, Maddox is clearly a SS, hits like a truck, and is said to be extremely physical, he will slot in behind McGraw.

Washington is a guy that probably has just as much upside as McGraw, but also has the speed and athletic ability to play FS.

If I had to make a depth chart right now.

SS: McGraw, Pagel, Maddox
    FS: Coleman, Washington, Rhodes

Released yesterday: Tongue
    On the bubble: Celestin (Good ST'er, but where does he fit?)

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by DE94Abraham
    One of them could be put on the Practice Squad. I could see Rashad Washington going on it.

Rhodes will be starting sooner rather than later. Teams rarely trade up for back ups.
    Washington won't make the PS.

Rhodes could be that candidate, I think he is the most underdeveloped out of all of them. I see the Jets keeping 5 safeties.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19
    Washington won't make the PS.

Rhodes could be that candidate, I think he is the most underdeveloped out of all of them. I see the Jets keeping 5 safeties.

So you think the Jets traded up for a player that they are going to put on the practice squad?

Rookie
    I actually like Andre Maddox more than I like Rhodes. It is almost a given that Pagel is released. The other player getting the axe is possibly Reggie Tongue, or Rashad Washington. Andre will not get cut, because he was a top notch special teams player on Mike Westhoff's board.

In terms of which rookie takes the starting job, I see it this way. Rhodes is a FS, causing Erik to make the switch back to SS, which was his original position. Rhodes is the ballhawk, who is weak in run stopping, but a better athlete than Maddox. Maddox, on the other hand, is the better tackler, but only adequate against the pass. Hendu does like flexibility in the defensive backfield, which is probably why both options are very likely. Mcgraw will have the starting job opposite Coleman right now, but both rookies can come in and compete for it, due to Mcgraw's frequent injuries.

wickedtwisted
    You forgot about Celestin... I can predict that I think Tongue and Pagel will be gone...

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedtwisted
    You forgot about Celestin... I can predict that I think Tongue and Pagel will be gone...
    Celestin might stay due to his special teams abilities. I wouldn't be surprised if he does get cut though.

All Pro
    CluJEt- Thank you. I like Maddox more then Rohades. Maddoz IMO compares favorably to Coleman. Rhodes is athletic but he's afraid of contact and that scares me in a safety. I doubt Rhodes starts for us next year as he is REALLY raw. Tongue and Pagel look like theyre goin out.

Practice Squad
    I'm almost 100% positive that McGraw plays free safety, Coleman can play both but is limited in coverage. Rashad Washington is being groomed to play SS. Pagel is on his last legs, and Tongue (SS) settled for the league veteran minimum which is still double the amount for a non veteran.

Tongue could still be on his way out post season TD return not withstanding.

These folks are limited by their range and size, Pagel is a SS, the two new draft picks, the first Rhodes can play both and the second , Maddox is a SS.

The two new guys will play special teams replacing Pagel and Tongue will be cut at the end because even his veteran minimum is too high.

Coleman is better suited to SS because he's a step slow in coverage, but his instincts and tackling ability keep him on the field. If McGraw could just stay healthy or at least in the nickel and dime packages his speed, range and size keep him here.

We need Rhodes to step and play free safety on 1st and 2nd downs in place of McGraw.

The real question is whether Jamie Henderson is in the house.

Charter JI Member
    Pagel played very well on Specials last year, however I'm not sure you want a third year player contributing only on ST's, he coulod be in touble. Tongue should be cut before camp starts...Celestin doesn't stand a chance if Maddox shows anything.