Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wille Poole Out For Season

Practice Squad

Wille Poole Out For Season

The Miami Herald reports that Wille Poole their 2nd conerneback is out for the season with a torn ACL and are now actively pursuing ty law. If you ask me, the dolphins are in a better position to sign Law than us, and now have a pressing need to, and he would still get to see the pats twice a year. I think Law is a phin.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by goona14
    If you ask me, the dolphins are in a better position to sign Law than us, and now have a pressing need to, and he would still get to see the pats twice a year.
    Why??

The Jets have a need for a CB, he gets to play the Pats twice a year if he signs with the Jets and at Law's age he more likely to sign with a team that is close to being there rather then a franchise in rebuilding mode (or dissaray as the case may be with the fish).....

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY
    Why??

The Jets have a need for a CB, he gets to play the Pats twice a year if he signs with the Jets and at Law's age he more likely to sign with a team that is close to being there rather then a franchise in rebuilding mode (or dissaray as the case may be with the fish).....

Agreed!

Practice Squad
    Why??

True..but Ty Law is all about the money..if the phins offer him more money, which I believe they can, due to them having better cap numbers, then thats where he will go, plus he has a house in Miami

Banned
    Ty Law is represented by the Poston's, and that puts the team with the most money to offer in the drivers seat

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by goona14
    True..but Ty Law is all about the money..if the phins offer him more money, which I believe they can, due to them having better cap numbers, then thats where he will go, plus he has a house in Miami
    With Sabin in Miami, running a similar defensive system as the Pats, Law can get 1. More money, 2 a system he's is already comfortable in, 3 He stays in the same division, 4 he has a house in Miami already. Add it all up and the original post is right, Law is going to be a Phin.

Hall Of Fame
    interesting situation here, Ty does live in Plantation which is minutes from teh fins practice facility in Davie

BUT and its a huge but...but will he want to play for a rookie head coach from college and with a team that is so far from contending seriously???

this will be an interesting move to watch closely but my money is on them resigning T Buck

Posted on Mon, May. 09, 2005

Poole to miss 2005 season
    BY JASON COLE
    jcole@herald.com

Second-year cornerback Will Poole, who was considered the leading candidate to replace traded Pro Bowler Patrick Surtain, is expected to miss the upcoming season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee.

Poole was hurt during practice last week, although the team did not confirm the injury. Poole holds out some hope of playing this season if his recovery goes well, but that is unlikely.

Agent Drew Rosenhaus, who represents Poole, declined to comment. Poole was a fourth-round pick in 2004 after off-field issues dropped his stock. He played effectively with the Dolphins, starting once, playing in 15 games and missing one game with a groin injury.

Moreover, Poole was considered a reasonable facsimile to Surtain because of their ability to change direction and tie up receivers at the line of scrimmage with physical play. Like Surtain, Poole played much of his rookie season as a nickel or dime cornerback, which is considered difficult for a young cornerback.

Poole finished with 37 tackles, including one sack.

The injury leaves the Dolphins with three prominent contenders for Surtain's job as the left corner. Reggie Howard, who signed as a free agent last season, veteran Mario Edwards and rookie Travis Daniels, a fourth-round pick from LSU and a South Florida native.

The Dolphins also could look at the free-agent pool, with veterans such as Ty Law and Terrell Buckley still available. Law still is recovering from a foot injury that cost him the final nine games of last season and knocked him out of the playoffs.

Law, 31, had a screw placed in the foot after last season and has been unable to sign with a team this offseason because he can't run yet. He is expected to be able to work out for teams in June and might seek a one-year deal in hopes of playing well and becoming a free agent again after the 2005 season.

Buckley, 33, has played with five teams during his 13-year career. He had three interceptions last season with the New York Jets. He has 50 interceptions during his career.

Banned
    Look at the bright side ...

If Ty Law opts for Miami, this might force Herm to start Justin Miller at Bill Belichick speed ... and that is not necessarily a bad thing

Or let me put it another way ....

If BB had stolen Miller late in RD 2, I have NO DOUBT he would have Miller STARTING in 2005 .. not a doubt in my mind .. he would have this kid ready to play and play well .. so now our CS may need to roll up their sleeves and do likewise

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

First- the Jets are about $1-mill under the cap...the Dolphins barely $2-mill so the spread is not what people are making it out to be.

Second- the loss of Pool hurts the fish but they also did sign Reggie Howard (04) and Mario Edwards in FA.
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 05-09-2005 at 01:40 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

let miami over pay for another injury prone question mark... i mean, they've had so much luck with all of their other big name FA signings..

Banned
    BTW, this myth about talented DB's needing a year for grooming ... depends on the CS ... that is certainly not true of BB and it sure as heck wasn't true of the 49ers first SB team under Bill Walsh

That team started 3 rookies and 1 second year DB ... all the way to the SB and the Lombardi trophy

Ronnie Lott {rookie}
    Eric Wright {rookie}
    Carlton Williamson {rookie}
    Dwight Hicks {second year player}

And only one of the four {Ronnie Lott} was a 1st RD Pick

Bottom Line: If you have a talented young DB, you can start that player and win

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham
    BTW, this myth about talented DB's needing a year for grooming ... depends on the CS ... that is certainly not true of BB and it sure as heck wasn't true of the 49ers first SB team under Bill Walsh

That team started 3 rookies and 1 second year player in their secondary ... all the way to the SB and the Lombardi trophy

Ronnie Lott {rookie}
    Eric Wright {rookie}
    Carlton Williamson {rookie}
    Dwight Hicks {second year player}

And only one of the four {Ronnie Lott} was a 1st RD Pick

Bottom Line: If you have a talented young DB, you can start that player and win
    Assuming you have a pass rush...how could you leave James Hasty and Eric McMillen off that list?

Banned

Assuming you have a pass rush...how could you leave James Hasty and Eric McMillen off that list?
    Well I was using that 49ers team as the most glaring example, but you are 100% correct here as well ... these are two more outstanding examples, and the examples are endless if we really take the time to think about it

Based on talent alone, Justin Miller carried a 1st RD Grade on darn near everyones board ... Pat Kirwin swears that was true of all 32 GM's ... so why in the heck are we almost accepting the fact that he CANNOT start at CB for the Jets in 2005?

Would that be the case if he was drafted by BB and the Patriots?????

I THINK NOT!!

PS. Neither Hasty or E-Mac was a 1st RD Pick, yet both started {and played exceptionally well} as rookies ... and how bout Erik Coleman last year, drafted in RD 5
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 05-09-2005 at 01:55 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Well I was using that 49ers team as the most glaring example, but you are 100% correct here as well ... these are two more outstanding examples, and the examples are endless if we really take the time to think about it

Based on talent alone, Justin Miller carried a 1st RD Grade on darn near everyones board ... Pat Kirwin swears that was true of all 32 GM's ... so why in the heck are we almost accepting the fact that he CANNOT start at CB for the Jets in 2005?
    Talent yes...mental capacity and maturity level...no- a big unknown factor...plus the Jets may need another CB quickly if DA retires.

I previously posted that the scuttlebutt on the draft floor during the first day was the Jets had come to an agreement with Law- but as this stretches out I am prone to believe that his health is far more an issue then anyone is considering.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

this isnt the first time nor is it the last time this point has been brought up, but why is everyone on this board so set to pencil in strait as our nickelback?

coming into the draft last year many had him projected as a first rounder.. he slips to the 3rd, we all pat our backs for 'stealing' him.. he gets hurt last year but returns to play well.. and now he's an afterthought... i wouldnt be surprised if the jets dont bring in a veteran CB, and let strait battle it out for the starting job..

Banned

Talent yes...mental capacity and maturity level...no- a big unknown factor...plus the Jets may need another CB quickly if DA retires.

I previously posted that the scuttlebutt on the draft floor during the first day was the Jets had come to an agreement with Law- but as this stretches out I am prone to believe that his health is far more an issue then anyone is considering.
    CB, maybe they can keep it simple this year and leave him in man coverage for the most part ... don't make him think about zones ... just put him in man {as often as possible} and let him use his natural ability ... the rest can come later

Throw him on a particular WR each week, and tell him to stick with that man like glue ... its really his forte anyway, he'll be doing what he does best, because he's very physical and really adept at the bump-n-run

All Pro
    CB, maybe they can keep it simple this year and leave him in man coverage for the most part ... don't make him think about zones ... just put him in man {as often as possible} and let him use his natural ability ... the rest can come later

Throw him on a particular WR each week, and tell him to stick with that man like glue ... its really his forte anyway, he'll be doing what he does best, because he's very physical and really adept at the bump-n-run
    Agree on Strait. Don't know why he isn't in the mix for a starter's job, even if Donnie Abe were here.

BTW - Good call on the 49ers defensive backfield. I remember watching some of their games down the stretch, and every game opened with the commentators stating that the opposition Q/B will pick apart that "untested" rookie secondary.

Never happened, all season long.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mbn007

BTW - Good call on the 49ers defensive backfield. I remember watching some of their games down the stretch, and every game opened with the commentators stating that the opposition Q/B will pick apart that "untested" rookie secondary.

Never happened, all season long.
    THE OPPOSITE HAPPENED

They had four good young athletes in the secondary and all they did was make plays ... week after week ... all the way to the show

Banned
    Just a few Questions Bradway should ask Herm before he agrees to pursue Ty Law

Why am I drafting all of these CB's ... for my health?

Last year I drafted you the highly regarded Derrick Strait on day one, and this year I stole Justin Miller ... but for what reason?

So I can spend a Gazillion dollars against the cap for a 34 Year old Gimp coming off a season ending injury?

And how come everytime I look at NE they are starting some non-descript DB's in their secondary, and winning SB's?

And how come the 49ers won their first SB with 3 rookies and 1 second year DB in their secondary?

And how come I look all around the league and see teams actually STARTING the DB's they draft ... especially the ones they draft high or the ones that carried a 1st RD Grade, and often immediately?

If I need to spend a fortune on OLD MAN GIMPY, can you please tell me WHY I am wasting these day one picks on Cornerbacks?

And while you're at it, can you name 3 DB's who started for the Patriots in last years SB after Rodney Harrison went down ... okay, that's a little unfair ... can you name TWO?
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 05-09-2005 at 03:09 PM.

All Pro
    Why??

Miami also has a pressing need for CB, Miami also plays NE twice a year, and in the modern day NFL worst to first can happen.