Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Whats the latest on BIG JOHN ABE.

  1. #1
    Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    10,198

    Whats the latest on BIG JOHN ABE.

    And word on the deal is done and the JETS are just waiting for the date to come so he can actually sign ABE without costing the JETS their future franchise TAG by signing him to early

  2. #2
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,780
    My apologies, I dont understand.. Signing too early ??? How does that effect future Franchise Tags...
    Your comments about the signing of Abe seem to be substaniated by Herms remarks that Abe will be in OTA's Monday

  3. #3
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,637
    Quote Originally Posted by JetOrange
    My apologies, I dont understand.. Signing too early ??? How does that effect future Franchise Tags...
    Your comments about the signing of Abe seem to be substaniated by Herms remarks that Abe will be in OTA's Monday
    If Abraham is signed to a long term contract before July 15th, the Jets lose the right to use the franchise tag for the length of the contract... so if there is an agreement it won't be signed before then.

  4. #4
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    6,453
    Quote Originally Posted by rajensen088
    If Abraham is signed to a long term contract before July 15th, the Jets lose the right to use the franchise tag for the length of the contract... so if there is an agreement it won't be signed before then.

    I knew that but does that also mean he can't practice with the team?

  5. #5
    If John's at OTA's it'll be because he signed the franchise tag.

    I believe the blackout period affects not just signing a long-term contract, but negotiating as well. If the Jets and Abe talk about a long-term extension between now and July 15, they could forfeit the franchise tag for the entire length of the new contract he signs.

    (At least I believe so, although I'm not 100% sure on this last point)

  6. #6
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    27,261
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfan13
    I knew that but does that also mean he can't practice with the team?
    He can not practice until he is signed to a contract. I'm not sure where the report that he'd be in practice came from ?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by stinker
    If John's at OTA's it'll be because he signed the franchise tag.

    I believe the blackout period affects not just signing a long-term contract, but negotiating as well. If the Jets and Abe talk about a long-term extension between now and July 15, they could forfeit the franchise tag for the entire length of the new contract he signs.

    (At least I believe so, although I'm not 100% sure on this last point)
    Hey buddy, welcome to Insider.

    So we need to sign him right before camp?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us