Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What if Doug Brien made that field goal????

All Pro

What if Doug Brien made that field goal????

If Doug Brien made that field goal how cool would it have been to be able to play the Patriots for the entire AFC. This board would have been nuts, and there would have been no better way to end our super bowl drought then with an upset over the defending champs who looked unbeatable. I know we play like crap vs the Pats, but who knows. Maybe Curtis finally comes through vs them, or Chad doesn't look like Akili Smith.

Another way to look at it is that it was a blessing in diguise that Doug Brien missed those field goals ending our season. Pittsburgh got embarrased vs the Patriots, and that could have very easily been us. If there defense gave up 41 points ours might have given up 50 I also would not be able to tolerate another performance like the jets gave in week 16. That game was so ugly, and if we played anything like that then I would have wished we did loose vs Pitt.

Overall the Jets could have avenged the Yankees death to the Red Sox( which would have made me elated) or Boston sports fans could of had 2 on us in conference championship games.

Veteran
    i dont play the what if game.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by 51 VILMA 51
    i dont play the what if game.
    That's a good answer, but if the Jets played the Pats in the AFCC game, they would have received a bigger pasting than what the Pats laid on the Steelers.

Simple as that.

Veteran
    i doubt it. it woulda been close.

All League
    You're thinking with your heart again, tex.

There was a blizzard in Boston the day that game would have been played, and it prolly would have been a low-scoring affair, decided by no more than 10 points.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX
    That's a good answer, but if the Jets played the Pats in the AFCC game, they would have received a bigger pasting than what the Pats laid on the Steelers.

Simple as that.
    N.E. proved they were the class of the NFL last season. A bigger pasting then the Steelers, that's just talking trash. Granted till the Pat's are dethroned its a mute point. Can N.E. be beaten the answer is yes ( any team can). Will they, as Herm said "You play to win the game" and that question will be answered ON THE FIELD. My hope is this question will be answered in January.

All Pro
    It's a crazy thought. If Brien made that FG, our whole offseason would've changed, regardless of how far we went after that. Brien would still be on the team. We may not have gotten Jolley. We may have drafted Heath Miller. Amazing how one kick can dictate the offseason.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetcane
    You're thinking with your heart again, tex.

There was a blizzard in Boston the day that game would have been played, and it prolly would have been a low-scoring affair, decided by no more than 10 points.
    Please.

Four weeks earlier the Pats completely dominated the Jets in their own house.

It would have been far worse in Foxboro.

All Pro
    Based on history your argument is legit, and you have no reason to think otherwise, but it's the playoffs. Everything changes then. Who knows? The Pats may have taken the Jets for granted since they already beat them twice. The Jets may have been even more fired up and could've dominated the game. Or the Pats may have beaten the Jets again. No one knows what would've happened, but its a moot point.

We're gonna have to wait until the season starts to see who is superior this year.

Hall Of Fame
    Ripper you definitely bring up something to think about.

I can think of one thing immediately.

Had Brien made that kick, regardless of the outcome in Foxboro, we WOULD NOT have selected Mike Nugent with our first pick.

So who then would we have taken? I think the answer is Justin Miller, but who really knows?

Then we would have had one OTHER 2nd rounder that we could have chosen an offensive lineman? Who would that have been? I think if the Pats hadn't stretched to take Logan Mankins at number 32 (while we are playing the "what if" game), I think TB would have given taking Mankins serious consideration at number 57............

All League
    Now you're talking out of your azz tex.

Playing in a blizzard neutralizes a lot of talent edges. Funny bounces, fumbles, difficulty passing, wind and snow wreak havoc on the passing game.

Your opinion on the outcome MIGHT have some merit if the game was played on a dry field with no wind, but you are completely overlooking the weather conditions that existed that day.

Thanks for playing.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFranchise
    Based on history your argument is legit, and you have no reason to think otherwise, but it's the playoffs. Everything changes then. Who knows? The Pats may have taken the Jets for granted since they already beat them twice. The Jets may have been even more fired up and could've dominated the game. Or the Pats may have beaten the Jets again. No one knows what would've happened, but its a moot point.

We're gonna have to wait until the season starts to see who is superior this year.
    Franchise, I agree with you.

It's a hypothetical question that can not be answered unless the game was decided on the field.

You do bring up one very good point, it is very hard for any team to defeat another team 3 times in one season.

All Pro
    Franchise, I agree with you.

It's a hypothetical question that can not be answered unless the game was decided on the field.

You do bring up one very good point, it is very hard for any team to defeat another team 3 times in one season.

Is this the 1st time we agreed on something, TX?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Please.

Four weeks earlier the Pats completely dominated the Jets in their own house.

It would have been far worse in Foxboro.
    You cant base an outcome because of what happened in another game...If that was the case than how in the hell did the Pats lose to the FISH...If you were that good that you crushed us at out park, than you had no business losing to the FISH...ANY GIVEN SUNDAY!!

Just cause you smashed us at our park doesnt mean another game would be similar..

Hall Of Fame
    which field goal? sorry, had to get that in, there were TWO chances which of course makes it even harder to bear. anyway, yeah, if he makes one, i know for me personally its the greatest moment i will have experienced as a jets fan. after that, who knows. i think we wouldve had a good chance to beat indy in the dome and probably not much of a chance of beating the patriots in foxboro with chad's injury, but its all speculation anyway.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    let's be real - if any team is going to beat the Pats it's the Jets - they always play close.

would they have had Abe against the PATS? Chad's shoulder in need of surgery... I don't like their chances in that game... the Jets would have kept it relatively close but would have lost. Even that loss would have been gainful experience though for the youth players...

the Jets are a team built to go deep late in the year. to a certain extent, the Steelers over performed last season, and they aren't getting much better... the Colts are a dome team... if anyone takes down the Pats it's the Jets. at the very least they come closer to beating NE more consistantly than any other club. Their fans know it and we know it. to say otherwise is to ignore recent history - the health of Chad Pennington down the stretch is also key. He's 28 and still hasn't played an entire 16 week season.

as a final note the division in general is a tough one and the Pats get all their divisional games in a bunch at the end of season. That's where the damage is done. witness 2004 when MIA beats the Pats on MNF - the week after the Jets lose in a tough battle, (Richard Seymour goes down) - playing in AFC east is like going 15 rounds. Yeah you might win by decision but serious damage is done along the way. One thing Herm Edwards teams will do is play hard down the stretch.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti
    let's be real - if any team is going to beat the Pats it's the Jets - they always play close.

would they have had Abe against the PATS? Chad's shoulder in need of surgery... I don't like their chances in that game... the Jets would have kept it relatively close but would have lost. Even that loss would have been gainful experience though for the youth players...

the Jets are a team built to go deep late in the year. to a certain extent, the Steelers over performed last season, and they aren't getting much better... the Colts are a dome team... if anyone takes down the Pats it's the Jets. at the very least they come closer to beating NE more consistantly than any other club. Their fans know it and we know it. to say otherwise is to ignore recent history - the health of Chad Pennington down the stretch is also key. He's 28 and still hasn't played an entire 16 week season.

as a final note the division in general is a tough one and the Pats get all their divisional games in a bunch at the end of season. That's where the damage is done. witness 2004 when MIA beats the Pats on MNF - the week after the Jets lose in a tough battle, (Richard Seymour goes down) - playing in AFC east is like going 15 rounds. Yeah you might win by decision but serious damage is done along the way. One thing Herm Edwards teams will do is play hard down the stretch.
    Your right bitonti, last year I think the Jets did have the best shot at beating the Pats. The Colts.... enough said, and no way Bellicheck looses to a rookie qb twice. I think that due to the jets familirarity with the oppenent we had a shot.

This year however I think numerous teams have a shot to beat the Pats. The team with the best shot has to be the Kansas City Chiefs. If the old men could stay healty they are as talented a team as their is in the NFL. Remember the Pats still are suspect in the secondary a bit. They beat the Colts, but they have always been overated, and are like you said a mere dome team. The reason I believe the Chiefs have a shot is because of the Cincinatti Bengals game last year vs the Pats. The Pats were suspect in the secondary all game, and were lucky to walk away with that one. The Chiefs O is very similar to the Bengals, and their D is now much improved and has more talent then that Colts D which was impressive vs. the Pats.

Next in line to overtake them would have to be the Houston Texans. This team is going be amazing this year. We all know about their high octane O with Andre Johnson, Domanick Davis, and David Carr, but their D was young last year, and will show a great improvent this year. They are the team in which Belicheck is very unfamiliar with, and could sneak up on the Pats like Buster Douglas did to Mike Tyson. I firmly believe that they will make it to the playoffs and upset the Pats

My last team for the Pats to watch out for is the Oakland Raiders.... yes those Oakland Raiders who should have beaten you in the Ice Bowl. I believe that their D has a lot of talent, and they will harness it with their now worldly offense. Who is going to cover Randy Moss and Jerry Porter for the Pats? I rest my case. I also believe that their D is just as good as it was during the Ice Bowl warranting my belief that they Raiders can overtake them.
    Last edited by JacktheRipper; 05-22-2005 at 12:54 PM.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet
    Ripper you definitely bring up something to think about.

I can think of one thing immediately.

Had Brien made that kick, regardless of the outcome in Foxboro, we WOULD NOT have selected Mike Nugent with our first pick.

So who then would we have taken? I think the answer is Justin Miller, but who really knows?

Then we would have had one OTHER 2nd rounder that we could have chosen an offensive lineman? Who would that have been? I think if the Pats hadn't stretched to take Logan Mankins at number 32 (while we are playing the "what if" game), I think TB would have given taking Mankins serious consideration at number 57............
    I 100% agree Brien made 83% of his kicks last year he made the big one against the chargers dont get me worong i love that we got justin miller and nugent but i think we would of kept our pick and got heath miller
    Last edited by BigJon13; 05-22-2005 at 01:53 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti

if anyone takes down the Pats it's the Jets. at the very least they come closer to beating NE more consistantly than any other club. Their fans know it and we know it. to say otherwise is to ignore recent history -
    bit, that's a pretty ridiculous statement, even for you.

First off, "close" only matters in horseshoes and hand grenades and has nothing to do with football. It doesn't matter if you win by one point or 30 points. A win is a win.

With that said, the Pats have owned the Jets in "recent history", winning four straight games and 5 of the last 6.

Until the Jets start beating the Pats on the scoreboard, everything you have said is pure conjecture.

And BTW, the Phins have played the Pats the toughest over the past three years, not the Jets.
    Last edited by PatsFanTX; 05-22-2005 at 03:14 PM.

"What if" my dick were 12", wouldn't that make it a "foot"?

Only you clowns could be so delusional to start with the "what if " BS now.

I suggest that some of you find copies of the last few years Pats/Jets games on VHS or DVD and watch them thoroughly for a quick reality check.

Your chances of seeing GOD were better than walking out of Gillette with a "W"