Thread: Bruno waffles on West Side Stadium

Rookie

Bruno waffles on West Side Stadium

NY Daily News

Bruno backed stadium -
    but backs off

By MICHAEL SAUL
    DAILY NEWS CITY HALL BUREAU

The News learned that Albany kingpin Joe Bruno privately signaled support for the proposed West Side stadium but now he says things have changed.

Senate Majority Leader Joe Bruno privately told union leaders he intended to support the proposed West Side stadium because it would be an economic boon for New York, the Daily News has learned.
    Bruno (R-Rensselaer), who has the power to kill the $1.9 billion project, voiced support for the stadium when he met with more than a dozen union leaders from the construction trades in a Manhattan hotel earlier this month.

"We left there confident there was acceptance on the merits, on the economic benefits of the project, but there were other political issues - hurdles that had to be overcome," said Lou Colletti, director of the New York Building Trades Employers Association, who attended the meeting.

Bruno spokesman John McArdle confirmed that his boss had suggested he "could be supportive," but said his position is not so clear-cut now.

"At that time, we understood the public commitment to be $300 million to $600 million," McArdle said. "But that public commitment has doubled based on the information we have received since then."

New Jersey Jets vice president Matt Higgins disputed McArdle's assertion.

"The public investment remains the same at $600 million," Higgins said. "The only thing that's changed is the Jets' investment, which now approaches $1.6 billion."

The football team's contribution to the cost of building the proposed stadium has climbed from $800 million to $1.325 billion, plus $250 million for the property, Higgins said.

Bruno's waffling comes at a critical time for supporters of the stadium and the city's bid for the 2012 Olympic Games. The stadium, which would be the new home of the Jets and part of an expanded Javits Center, is the centerpiece of the city's Olympic bid.

The Public Authorities Control Board - a state panel controlled by Bruno, Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver (D-Manhattan) and Gov. Pataki - is expected to vote on the stadium next week. The board's three voting members must unanimously approve the project for construction to begin.

Rookie
    I'm sure this will take several more twists and turns in the coming week. Looks like the vote will be next Friday. I still feel somehow the stadium will be approved. Buckle up - it's going to be a bumpy ride....

Rookie

Beyond the vote

Even if the stadium gets approved, the stadium still faces major hurdles in the courts. If approved by the PACB (man I never thought I'd know about some obscure state board) then I expect several lawsuits and oher delay tactics to occur.

All it'll take is some judge to halt the stadium in its tracks.

Who knows what'll happen - I never expected the stadium to get this far so...

Undrafted Free Agent
    It would have been nice if the article mentioned that Bruno's son is on Dolens payroll. He a lobbist for MSG.

All Pro
    "New Jersey Jets vice president Matt Higgins disputed McArdle's assertion"

When did we change our name to New Jersey?....god for bid

how the hell is Woody gonna pony up 1.6 Billion for the stadium, I hope this doesn't make him a cheapstake when it comes to doling out signing bonuses, if so, the WSS can go to hell

Board Moderator
    Charter JI Member

what they didn't say in the article is that bruno's assertion that the project cost to the city/state has doubled is true, because of the tax dollars being used to pay off the jets bonds. that's really the only fishy issue here. if it weas a straight $300MM from the city for the platform, $300MM to the state for the roof, as originally planned, we would have been done talking about this the second the jets bid was chosen over the dolans' for the air rights (if it even got that far).

the arrogance of bloomberg and doctoroff will never cease to amaze me - sure, it served both well in the private sector, i even admired it a bit in both. but to think you could just try to hide this, then, once exposed, try to force this down the throats of one of the most collectively informed and assertive publics in the world is astonishing from such successful businessmen.