Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michael Lupica

Banned

Michael Lupica

Does anyone have any earthly idea why he refers to Mike Bloomberg and Mike Piazza as Michael Bloomberg and Michael Piazza?

I mean, obviously Mike is short for Michael, no-one know that better than Mike Lupica, and I have a borther named Mike so I know it as well ... but if either of these Gentlemen wanted to be called by their full name, don't you think they would refer to themselves as Michael and not Mike?

LIKE FOR EXAMPLE ... does Mike Lupica not tag his columns "MIKE" as opposed to "MICHAEL", and is that not a clear indication that he prefers MIKE to MICHAEL?

So what Gives ... why is every Mike {other than himself} a Michael?

Is this Just another way for Lupica to separate himself from the pack, to place himself on a higher plane?

Does he think it sounds cool ... makes him sound hip ... makes him sound sophisticated ... because he can refer to all Mike's {other than himself} as Michael?

And maybe we can do this in the reverse ... how does MIKE JORDAN Grab you?

How bout MIKE JOHNSON the sprinter?

Or if we wish to fluctuate back from Mike's to Michael's, we can always say MICHAEL TYSON or MICHAEL SCHMIDT

Come to think of it, isn't that what another stuck up b*tch {Robin Givens} used to call Mike Tyson ... Michael?

Lets Just start a new trend ... henceforth we'll call all the Mike's Michael's and all the Michael's Mike's

Could be interesting, but how bout the producer of Saturday Night Live ... should we call him LORNE MIKES as opposed to LORNE MICHAELS

Aww forget it ... Gets too confusing ... lets Just call these men what they call themselves and leave it at that
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 06-03-2005 at 07:47 AM.

Banned
    BTW, here's how Lupica starts his column today ... yet another one of his boring anti-stadium rants

Mayor Michael Bloomberg could have developed the Hudson Railyards in all kinds of ways, ways that would have benefited all New Yorkers and not just the rich and powerful ones. He could have come up with a smart plan for expanding the Jacob Javits Convention Center, even if only the biggest suckers believe the convention business is somehow crucial to the economic future of this city ...

See what I mean ... there Goes that "Michael thing" again
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 06-03-2005 at 09:03 AM.

Football season, hurry up and get here...pleeeeeeeeese.

Board Moderator
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham
    Mayor Michael Bloomberg could have developed the Hudson Railyards in all kinds of ways, ways that would have benefited all New Yorkers and not just the rich and powerful ones. He could have come up with a smart plan for expanding the Jacob Javits Convention Center, even if only the biggest suckers believe the convention business is somehow crucial to the economic future of this city ...
    i agree, except he's right in this case

All Pro
    Mike Lipica was the first one to knock Leon Hess when he moved the team to New Jersey back in 1984. He called Hess a "CARPETBAGGER" and said the city was ready to build him a domed stadium for the Jets to play in but that Hess was too worried about the State of New Jersey buying Hess's Mamouth race track.

Lupica from back in 84.."It's a sham that the ny jets are playing in New Jersey".
    Last edited by 2009fatman; 06-03-2005 at 09:42 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Do you have a link to that?

Would make interesting reading today.

Plus we know today that and there was no talk of a domed stadium for the Jets. And that Hess tried to deal with the city, was blown off by Mayor Koch more than once, had his deadline ignored, got pissed and took NJ's offer.

All League
    Well, for starters I think MICHAEL Lupica is a massive tool...a self-important little jerkoff who does nothing but insult and attack, and his bashing the Jets for LEAVING NJ and now his opposition to the Jets Manhatten stadium just show this guy wants it both ways...just so long as he can attack someone.

As for the Mike/Michael thing, I have always referred to and called my younger brother "Michael", while everyone else calls him "Mike". Just habit, I guess. I also call my buddy James, "Jim" or "Jimmy", and I'm the ony one who does that. Just because every James in my family was always "Jim" or "Jimmy". I guess everyone has reasons for what they call people, but knowing Michael Lupica, its because hes a pretentious ***-wipe.

All League

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by 2009fatman
    Mike Lipica was the first one to knock Leon Hess when he moved the team to New Jersey back in 1984. He called Hess a "CARPETBAGGER" and said the city was ready to build him a domed stadium for the Jets to play in but that Hess was too worried about the State of New Jersey buying Hess's Mamouth race track.

Lupica from back in 84.."It's a sham that the ny jets are playing in New Jersey".
    1st of all, anyone who believes that Hess viamently wanted out of NYC is a fool. Historically, he had nothing to do with MONMOUTH PARK & not MAMOUTH at the time. It was a former owner & head of the NJSEA, Sonny Werblin - you know, the guy who named us the New York Jets because we were entering the "JETS" age. The same guy who gave us the Green & white colors, because they were his colors - he was born on St. Patricks day.

Part of the buy out between Hess & Werblin was the fact that Hess gave up his rights to MONMOUTH PARK.

Originally, we were going to build a NON-DOMED facility at the site of where the New York Yankees intend to build their new stadium. However, when a certain flip flopping Mayor Edward Kotch decided in 1982 that New York City was a "BASEBALL TOWN & NOT A FOOTBALL CITY!"(actual Quote) and that the city would NOT put any money toward a new stadium, Hess desided to look elsewhere for more space for his team.

Werblin was the head of the Meadowlands Commission, which later became the NJSEA in the late 90's. Since he was still friends with Hess, he offered him the deal that has kept the Jets in East Rutherford to this very day.

Kotch did attempt to offer the Jets a return to the city. However it was not until mid way through the 1984 season & Hess was locked into a contract that would have cost Millions to break the lease. Any one who knows the history of this team, read Jerry Eskenasi's book "Gang Green!" At least you can get your HISTORICAL facts straight!

Secondly, If Lupica actually said that about Leon Hess, he is out of bounds on the "carpetbagger" statement. It was never a sham, only a mistake by an adminstration that wanted to impress Baseball & the Dolans, and not Football. That also why the Giants left for NJ as well.
    Last edited by BaumerJet; 06-03-2005 at 10:13 AM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut
    Do you have a link to that?

Would make interesting reading today.

Plus we know today that and there was no talk of a domed stadium for the Jets. And that Hess tried to deal with the city, was blown off by Mayor Koch more than once, had his deadline ignored, got pissed and took NJ's offer.
    Not True. First the City offered 20,000 end zone seats at Shea which Hess turneddown. Then after they left in 84 Trump was going to build a domed stadium in Queens next to Shea. Hess said NO.

Hess sold his soul to New Jersey because they bought his money losing Momuth race track and gave him a deal to build his gas stations all over the state.

Lupica was all over the story back then and was Hess's biggest critic for moving the team.

All League
    I hate him.

I wish him death and plenty of harm.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Not True. First the City offered 20,000 end zone seats at Shea which Hess turneddown. Then after they left in 84 Trump was going to build a domed stadium in Queens next to Shea. Hess said NO.

Hess sold his soul to New Jersey because they bought his money losing Momuth race track and gave him a deal to build his gas stations all over the state.

Lupica was all over the story back then and was Hess's biggest critic for moving the team.
    BS.

1. Hess didn't want to be in Shea. Offering anything at Shea was no offer. Where you would put 20,000 seats in a stadium that already added seats for football, already had seats in the EZ is beyond me.

2. NFL wanted the Jets out of Shea. Lighting at Shea was never right for football.

3. Jets would ALWAYS be second to Mets at Shea, that was the Mets deal with the city. Scheduling problems at time of possible MLB Playoff dates, etc were issues to Hess.

4. If you read what happened, Hess a man of principle by all accounts was totally pissed when Koch played with the Jets on the issue of a promissed Stadium. Koch blew off Hess and didnt show to more than one meeting which was unacceptable to a businessman of Hess' level. Hess gave Koch one more chance, Koch didn't think Hess was serious and it was done.

5. Trump is a twit who offered to build a stadium, make season ticket holders share in costs. Buying your seats would be like buying a condo in Trumps BS self promoting plan. Nevermind that the Jets had already moved, signed their lease when he announced it. Plus never offered, said he WOULD.

6. Hess didn't sell his soul. He signed a crap lease in NJ, took far less than other owners get to put the Jets into a football stadium. Something that he thought was important. All accounts are that he wanted to stay in NY, would have taken little, but needed assurances while the city thought that they could jerk him around and sell him on a refurbished Shea.

7. The gas station line is total nonsense.
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 06-03-2005 at 11:07 AM.

All Pro
    The Armada Hess LINE IS nonesense?

Hess cut a deal with former Gov.Kean that would benifit Armada Hess not the Jets. In fact Hess was so greatfull that he hired the former Gov. to work for him at Armada Hess when Kean left the Gov. mansion...fact

What about the Race track that Hess owned which was losing money?

The state of New Jersey bought that from Hess as a payback for moving the Jets to New Jersey...Fact

Koch offered a redone Shea stadium adding 20,000 seats in the end zone. Hess said no...fact

The Jets had an out in their lease with The NJSEA which would let them move back to New York if the city built a Football only stadium...At the time the city was looking at building a stadium next to Shea and then Trump got into the act wanting to build a domed stadium at the same location. It got so far that the junk yard owners of wilits point and local residents hired an attorney to stop the stadium... Hess balked and decided to stay in New Jersey...fact

I agree the Jets were treated badly by the former Met owner Joan Pason and that always stuck at Hess...fact
    Last edited by 2009fatman; 06-03-2005 at 02:26 PM.

All League
    Knock Jints Stadium all you want. ANyone who went to a Jets game at Shea cannot possibly think it was a bad move. Shea was and is a dump, and on cold days it was awful.

Lupica doesn't leave his Connecticut Living room to go to Manhattan or any ballgame unless he's getting a check. And he has the balls to poormouth this. How dare Johnson make money-how awful! There's a number of things that as a City resident I might not like Bloomberg. But when it comes to finance, commerce and income generation, I suspect he's got a better grasp than this evil gnome.

Look-simply the options are either this thing gets built in Manhattan on a site that won't be used for anything else and NYC reaps the benefits and construction jobs, or the Jets stay in NJ ith the Jints. With the PSL I may never go to another game. But my parents walked to Ebbets Field as teens, and that's all gone. Things change.

Don't like how he uses "and" when a comma would suffice. And his books suck.
    Last edited by Bugg; 06-03-2005 at 11:34 AM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by BaumerJet
    . Any one who knows the history of this team, read Jerry Eskenasi's book "Gang Green!" At least you can get your HISTORICAL facts straight!

Secondly, If Lupica actually said that about Leon Hess, he is out of bounds on the "carpetbagger" statement. It was never a sham, only a mistake by an adminstration that wanted to impress Baseball & the Dolans, and not Football. That also why the Giants left for NJ as well.
    Touche'

I read that book. Perhaps Lupica should also. It might open his eyes to a whole 'nother side of the stroy, that he either does not know, or refuses to acknowledge.

Hall Of Fame
    BTW, here's how Lupica starts his column today ... yet another one of his boring anti-stadium rants

last time i checked, Bloomberg is referred to as Michael MUCH more often than Mike.

Veteran

BTW who cares.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins44
    Hammer, remember when the fictional Yankees employee George Costanza started eating his Snickers bars with a fork and knife because he wanted to act like/relate to the PBS crowd?
    Haha... I can't believe you brought in that Seinfeld reference. I was thinking of a different line from George. When he goes for the job at where Elaine works at the publishing company, the boss asks him what he likes to read, and George answers, "I like Mike Lupica." Just some useless humor for the thread...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by keeb
    BTW who cares.
    lol, thats about what it actually boils down to.

All League

Lightbulb

The state of New Jersey bought that from Hess as a payback for moving the Jets to New Jersey...Fact
    Not really:

• Hess sold 1/2 of his interest in Monmouth to David "Sonny" Werblin in 1968, in exchange for Werblin's interest in the JETS. He would later sell off the rest in 1974 to Phil Islin, another of the "Monmouth Four," for the same exchange of interests. Both men, Werblin & Islin, would later run the Meadowlands from the early 70's to the late 80's until it became the NJSEA. Hess never had money in Monmouth Park when we moved to NJ in 1984.

Koch offered a redone Shea stadium adding 20,000 seats in the end zone. Hess said no...fact
    There was more to that:

• According to Eskenazi's book, under the contract with the then Meadowlands commission, the JETS could have returned to Shea. However, they would have had to pay a $1 million dollar per year left on the contract release clause that would have cost $15 Million or $60 million dollars by today's standards. Which to any investor, would have been a poor deal. And besides, that was in fact a last ditch attempt by a Mayor who did not care about Football to answer to his constituants in Albany.

The Jets had an out in their lease with The NJSEA which would let them move back to New York if the city built a Football only stadium...At the time the city was looking at building a stadium next to Shea and then Trump got into the act wanting to build a domed stadium at the same location. It got so far that the junk yard owners of wilits point and local residents hired an attorney to stop the stadium... Hess balked and decided to stay in New Jersey...fact

• Again, that took place in the mid 80's when in fact Trump wanted the stadium for his NEW JERSEY GENERALS team. Hess would still have lost out in the long run due to the finances to break that lease.

You can not be so vague on your historical facts without looking into both sides of the issues...

Hall Of Fame
    The Armada Hess LINE IS nonesense?

Hess cut a deal with former Gov.Kean that would benifit Armada Hess not the Jets. In fact Hess was so greatfull that he hired the former Gov. to work for him at Armada Hess when Kean left the Gov. mansion...fact

I agree the Jets were treated badly by the former Met owner Joan Pason and that always stuck at Hess...fact

WHEN DID HESS ASK FOR TAXPAYER MONEY TO HELP BUILD A NEW STADIUM? IF HE DID, I GUESS YOU WOULD OF LOVED HIM? YOU ARE ALL FOR PUBLIC MONEY FOR PRIVATE BILLIONAIRES.........