Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help w/Beatles CDs

Veteran

Help w/Beatles CDs

Since there are so many out there, and I don't own a single one it's hard to pick out which ones are the best. I'll list my top 5 Beatles' songs and hopefully some of you could help me decided which ones I should get.

Hey Jude, Let it Be, In My Life, Yesterday, Yellow Submarine

Yellow Submarine.....

Dude you need to buy the White Album and something on it should remove that piece of crapola from your top 5 list.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Start with the songs from Sgt. Peppers -- one of the best albums of all time IMO.

Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and Magical Mystery Tour are two of my faves. Loved the psychadelic Beatles.

All League
    Why not just go for a Beatles greatest hits CD? there are several out there, one might have all the songs you like

Veteran
    R. Tyme
    Why not just go for a Beatles greatest hits CD? there are several out there, one might have all the songs you like
    It's not that I want all the songs on one CD. I know that each Beatles CD probably has a different sound to it, so from the songs I've heard and liked I'm trying to get an idea of which ones I should buy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriot Power

Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and Magical Mystery Tour are two of my faves. Loved the psychadelic Beatles.
    Here we are in perfect agreement, PP ... MMT is my favorite Beatles album

I like LATER BEATLES as well ... and Helter Skelter kicks @$$

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjet80
    R. Tyme

It's not that I want all the songs on one CD. I know that each Beatles CD probably has a different sound to it, so from the songs I've heard and liked I'm trying to get an idea of which ones I should buy.

You'd definitely like the White Album, Abbey Road and Let It be.

Sgt. Peppers is a must have.

If you like a little older stuff like Yesterday and In My Life, get "Yesterday and Today".

That's five CDs for starters.

Id say to start with Revolver and Rubber Soul. That seems to be the era of the Beatles you are into the most right now.

All Pro
    the One greatest hits is a good one to start with but thing to be honest which made the Beatles so great was that they made ALBUMS not just one or two good songs and the rest filler - with that being said do youself a favor and start with Rubber Soul and Sgt.Peppers Lonely Hearts Club then get them all because IMO nothing yet has surpassed what they accomplished in rock n roll and that was 40 years ago.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I was always partial to Revolver

All Pro
    that's the thing SD you can't go wrong buying any of their albums-soundtrack albums maybe not where the orchestra plays elevator music of their songs(revolutionary as it was for the time) but Help and A Hard Days Night had GREAT songs too.You're Gonna Lose That Girl,You've Got To Hide Your Love Away,Help-it just goes on-they made only a couple of dingers outta the whole catalog(George's Within You Without You sitar headache giver one of the exceptions from Pepper)in this musician's mind anyway.Seeing them on Ed Sullivan when I was 8 showed me then what I wanted to do with the rest of MY life

Charter JI Member
    Quote Originally Posted by broadwayjoe2
    Yellow Submarine.....

Dude you need to buy the White Album and something on it should remove that piece of crapola from your top 5 list.
    another vote for the White Album, every song is great

All Pro
    A very underrated album is Magical Mystery Tour, I love it.....

Sgt. Peppers is crazy good

I have em all so....

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetcane
    You'd definitely like the White Album, Abbey Road and Let It be.

Sgt. Peppers is a must have.

If you like a little older stuff like Yesterday and In My Life, get "Yesterday and Today".

That's five CDs for starters.

abbey road. the entire second side from Here comes the sun to the end can not be beat. And I will take Sgt Pepper over the White album

Veteran
    Pick one Beatles album??? That's like trying to select one Dallas Cowgirls cheerleader or Vivid Video girl.

You can't go wrong with any, but you would get the best value from the White Album although my favorite is probably Magical Mystery Tour. For old stuff, I like A Hard Day's Night.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjet80
    Since there are so many out there, and I don't own a single one it's hard to pick out which ones are the best. I'll list my top 5 Beatles' songs and hopefully some of you could help me decided which ones I should get.

Hey Jude, Let it Be, In My Life, Yesterday, Yellow Submarine

Dude, I got 'em all. PM me and let me know what you got to trade.

Quote Originally Posted by SoFlaJets
    the One greatest hits is a good one to start with but thing to be honest which made the Beatles so great was that they made ALBUMS not just one or two good songs and the rest filler - with that being said do youself a favor and start with Rubber Soul and Sgt.Peppers Lonely Hearts Club then get them all because IMO nothing yet has surpassed what they accomplished in rock n roll and that was 40 years ago.
    This is the one thing that sets the Beatles apart from evert other band. Just about every album they recorded is filled with great songs from top to bottom. No filler stuff just to round out an album. Yeah there is the occasional clunker(I could never get into George Harrison experimental stuff such as within you without you), but they are few and far in between. Its rare when a band has an entire album where you can say just about everything is a great song. Alot of bands if you have 3 good songs its considered a great album even though the other 8 sound generic. Bands are lucky if they have one album that is great from top to bottom----just about everything the Beatles put out was a great album. One of the few bands where a greatest hits CD doesnt even do them justice. I always found it amazing the sheer volume of great music that Lennon and McCartney along with Harrison towards the end were able tp churn out in such a short period of time. Those guys were just exploding with creativity during that era. I could only imagine how different the music scene would have ended up if the BEatles did not exist.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason423
    This is the one thing that sets the Beatles apart from evert other band. Just about every album they recorded is filled with great songs from top to bottom. No filler stuff just to round out an album. Yeah there is the occasional clunker(I could never get into George Harrison experimental stuff such as within you without you), but they are few and far in between. Its rare when a band has an entire album where you can say just about everything is a great song. Alot of bands if you have 3 good songs its considered a great album even though the other 8 sound generic. Bands are lucky if they have one album that is great from top to bottom----just about everything the Beatles put out was a great album. One of the few bands where a greatest hits CD doesnt even do them justice. I always found it amazing the sheer volume of great music that Lennon and McCartney along with Harrison towards the end were able tp churn out in such a short period of time. Those guys were just exploding with creativity during that era. I could only imagine how different the music scene would have ended up if the BEatles did not exist.
    There are quite a few Beatles songs on albums I didn't care for and would skip over...to each his own

Banned
    yeah i vote for the white album also. second should be sgt. pepper.