Thread: Braylon Edwards: Dolphins lied to me and used me

Veteran

Braylon Edwards: Dolphins lied to me and used me

I got this from mercurynews.com.

Posted on Wed, Jun. 29, 2005

BY HARVEY FIALKOV

South Florida Sun-Sentinel

PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla. - (KRT) - Deception is part of every NFL team's draft strategy, but former Michigan receiver Braylon Edwards felt the Miami Dolphins crossed the line.

"They kind of flat out lied to me," said Edwards, the No. 3 pick taken by the Cleveland Browns, one spot after the Dolphins chose Auburn running back Ronnie Brown.

Edwards is attending the three-day NFL symposium for rookies at PGA National. The entire draft class is being instructed on how to better deal with their changing lifestyles.

"They tried to use me . . . more so the owner and General Manager, Mr. (Rick) Spielman, Mr. (H. Wayne) Huizenga," Edwards said Tuesday.

"They tried to get some buzz out there so they could try to warrant some trades so they could get more for the pick, when Ronnie Brown is who they wanted in the long run.

"I don't like being lied to. I'm a man. Tell me straight out. (They lied to) my face and on the phone. They actually called me right before they picked as well."

Spielman left the Dolphins and team spokesman Harvey Greene said that while Huizenga is kept abreast of major decisions made by upper management, he wasn't directly involved with potential draft picks.

"Wayne wasn't involved in any of our pre-draft activities. Period, " Greene said.

Before the draft, there were rumors the Dolphins might draft Edwards and then trade him for more draft picks.

The Vikings, who owned the seventh and 18th selections and had traded Pro Bowl receiver Randy Moss, were believed to be in the market for Edwards.

Also, the Redskins, who held picks at Nos. 9 and 25, respectively, were reportedly interested.

Minnesota took South Carolina receiver Troy Williamson with its seventh pick, while the Redskins didn't draft a receiver until the seventh round.

Edwards said while Dolphins coach Nick Saban also misled him, he didn't hold any ill will toward him.

"The coach has little to do (with it)," Edwards said. "It more so comes from inside, management, so that's why I really don't hold him (responsible).

"Other than that, I feel blessed I'm in the situation I'm in Cleveland where I love my teammates, a good organization, a new beginning, Coach (Romeo) Crennel.

"I got over it real quick. I was a little hurt, but as soon as Cleveland called my name I was right back at it."

Edwards said that since the Indianapolis combine he and Brown have become good friends, and he is looking forward to Nov. 20 when the Dolphins play the Browns in Cleveland.

"I wish the players and their team good luck and when we see them - they're in trouble," Edwards said.

Brown, along with fellow Dolphins rookies Anthony Alabi, Kevin Vickerson, Travis Daniels, Matt Roth and Channing Crowder, attended the symposium.

Contract negotiations with the Dolphins top picks aren't expected to begin in earnest until after July 4.

All Pro
    WOW! shame on you dolphins lying to da brother
    like that!

Banned
    Dolphins, Shame Shame Shaaaame Shame on you!

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)

meaningless

Practice Squad
    welcome to the NFL Edwards, now quit your complaining!!!

Veteran
    can any one please explain in one sentence what the Dolphins did wrong here.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Thinker

nothing

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by ny28jets
    nothing
    good one.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Thinker
    They were on the clock in the draft (2nd overall), someone from the FO called Edwards and told him that he'd be their selection...but didn't select him.

"They actually called me right before they picked as well."

Veteran
    That Is Not Fair, I Thought That Nobody Lies In The World And That Everyone Tells Nothing But The Truth. Gosh Darnit. Im Very Displeased Right Now.

:

JetsInsider.com Legend
    he should go work for that other football league where no one fibs.

wwwwaaaahhhhhhhhh. shut up and play.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JETSFAN_viaAZ
    welcome to the NFL Edwards, now quit your complaining!!!

More like "Welcome to LIFE". Get over it and move on.

Banned
    Quit whimpering and wining like a 2 year old girl. You got drafted so shut up and get over it Braylon. IT's OVER!

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
    They were on the clock in the draft (2nd overall), someone from the FO called Edwards and told him that he'd be their selection...but didn't select him.
    I still dont see anything wrong with that...Agents do the same thing every year. They lie to teams about how many other teams are interested in their client and exaggerate how much those teams want him just to boast their clients stock. they also do this for the draft stating that other teams have contacted them about drafting their client. Shutup Edwards, quit your *****ing, collect your millions of dollars to play a game that I played on the playground in 6th grade and live your absolutely blessed life!