Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NY Jets Sign 3rd Rounder Pouha

Super*****/Prom Queen

Cool NY Jets Sign 3rd Rounder Pouha

JETS SIGN THIRD-ROUND DRAFT CHOICE DT SIONE POUHA
    New York City – The New York Jets announced today the signing of 2005 third-round draft selection (88 overall) defensive tackle Sione Pouha. The announcement was made by Jets’ Executive Vice President and General Manager Terry Bradway.

Pouha, a 6-3, 325 pound defensive tackle from the University of Utah, was a two-year starter for the Utes. He originally signed with Utah back in 1997, then left for a LDS church mission to Pittsburgh, Pa. from 1998-2000. He received the heroism award from the Mountain West Conference after rescuing a woman from a smoke-filled apartment in fall 2002. Pouha was a member of Utah's Student Athlete Mentor (SAMS) program and elected to 2004 Utah Football Leadership Committee.

Pouha saw limited playing time at defensive end in 2001 and then went on to play in 11 games in 2002. He moved to defensive tackle in 2003 and started nine games, finishing with 29 tackles, four-and-a-half tackles for loss and two sacks. As a senior in 2004, Pouha finished with 35 total tackles, three tackles for losses and two sacks in nine-of-11 games played.
    Press release courtesy NY Jets Media Dept.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Boo-ooo-haa

Charter JI Member
    nice...bring 'em all in

Veteran
    I wonder if they'll be any more signings before the long weekend.

Hall Of Fame
    Now the guy just has to work on his stamina. He definitely cannot contribute for an entire NFL season at this point in time. He needs to get a regular weight lifting and fitness regiment going. He will eventually become the starter I am sure, but as of right now, I look for him to get part time duty at best......

All Pro

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

We can thank Sackdance99 for this...Casue the other day i saw him write, "I hope to GOD they start signing there draft picks soon"....

Banned
    Look out for Sione Pouha in the future. He will be a good DT someday. Wait! Donnie Henderson can coach talented young players so he might be good this year. Much like the breakout season Vilma had.

All Pro
    you kiddin me LockeJet Mikey T ALWAYS gets the job done-I'll tell ya HE was the one guy I'm glad Parcells didn't get to steal from us-try as he did.Tannenbaum said uh,no thanks Bill.I guess he figured he'd only last 2 years anyway.He's a smart guy....This org.is getting real solid from F.O. to the rookies-I like what I'm seeing this year...

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SoFlaJets
    you kiddin me LockeJet Mikey T ALWAYS gets the job done-I'll tell ya HE was the one guy I'm glad Parcells didn't get to steal from us-try as he did.Tannenbaum said uh,no thanks Bill.I guess he figured he'd only last 2 years anyway.He's a smart guy....This org.is getting real solid from F.O. to the rookies-I like what I'm seeing this year...

No im not kidding, If it wasnt for the Lord Jesus Christ this pick would not have signed...

God Bless Mike T...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET
    No im not kidding, If it wasnt for the Lord Jesus Christ this pick would not have signed...

God Bless Mike T...
    the "you kiddin me"is kinda like fuggeddabowdit-he always gets it done.some things don't transfer well to a message board I guess oh yea Amen to dat

All League
    Cool. We have a another fat body.

Banned
    SCOUTING REPORT

Positives

- Pouha is not only the physical leader of the Utah Defense but is also their emotional leader. He brings tremendous power to the game and uses his massive size to his advantage. He has good footwork, especially in sliding side to side to find the runner. He is a solid tackler that not only knows how to effectively wrap up but also works hard at stripping the ball while he makes the tackle. Shows good speed in short bursts.

Weaknesses

- Doesn’t take full advantage of his remarkable strength. Seems somewhat unpolished especially with shedding the block. His age is also a concern as he will be 26 when the draft rolls around. He needs to become more involved as he often goes unnoticed for large stretches of the game. He often seems slow off the snap and negates his strength advantage by allowing the blocker to stand him up.

Overall Analysis

- Pouha belongs in the list of the top 15 tackles in the nation. His age definitely hurts his draft day value but he leads by example both on and off the field. He sacrificed by spending 98-00 with the church mission and also received a heroism reward for rescuing a woman from an apartment fire in 2002. Character certainly is not an issue with this kid.

Reminds You Of:

- Casey Hampton, Pittsburgh Steelers

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=JonathanVilma51]SCOUTING REPORT

Doesn’t take full advantage of his remarkable strength.
    Seems somewhat unpolished especially with shedding the block.
    His age is also a concern as he will be 26 when the draft rolls around.
    He needs to become more involved as he often goes unnoticed for large stretches of the game.
    He often seems slow off the snap and negates his strength advantage by allowing the blocker to stand him up.

Yikes...nice pick

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxboroFanatic2
    nice pick
    Thank you

Veteran
    YEAH! Signing Pouha is a great thing, but adam schfter reports that Tim McGill who lite it up in NFLE looks to push Pouha and Legree for that starting role! Im happy our DT position is solid this year, no matter what other people say.

Veteran
    Jets | Rookie Pouha Signed
    Thu, 30 Jun 2005 07:50:39 -0700

The New York Jets have announced the signing of rookie DT Sione Pouha, the team's third-round draft pick. No details of the contract were disclosed.

2 DOWN AND 6 TO GO

All League
    [QUOTE=FoxboroFanatic2]
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanVilma51
    SCOUTING REPORT

He needs to become more involved as he often goes unnoticed for large stretches of the game.
    He often seems slow off the snap and negates his strength advantage by allowing the blocker to stand him up.

Yikes...nice pick
    All those mistakes are easily corrected. He has the strength, just needs to use it. Coaching polishes people. 26 is a little old for a draft pick, but as long as he keeps doing what he's doing. Getting more involved should not be a problem with a few screams from Donnie. Also, from these scouting reports every player has weaknesses. Why don't you focus on the positives they reported? I'm sure even your precious Tom Brady's scouting report has some negatives. If he was a 6th round pick, I would like to see the glowing scouting reports he had.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Bullitt245]
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxboroFanatic2

All those mistakes are easily corrected. He has the strength, just needs to use it. Coaching polishes people. 26 is a little old for a draft pick, but as long as he keeps doing what he's doing. Getting more involved should not be a problem with a few screams from Donnie. Also, from these scouting reports every player has weaknesses. Why don't you focus on the positives they reported? I'm sure even your precious Tom Brady's scouting report has some negatives. If he was a 6th round pick, I would like to see the glowing scouting reports he had.

Excellent point and post!

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=FoxboroFanatic2]
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanVilma51
    SCOUTING REPORT

Yikes...nice pick
    OK Shasta